Notts County (league 2)

Guest LondonScottish

Guest LondonScottish

I'm sure Notts County fans cannot believe their luck now that they're being taken over by an Aran Investment fund. Doubt they'll be in League 2 or 1 for much longer. Al Thani Investment is headed by Abdullah bin Saeed al Thani, first cousin of the ex president of the United Arab Emirates, sheikh Zayed, who died last year.

Christmas come early.

Guest LondonScottish
I'm sure he's thinking that his luck's in getting the Magpies at such a cheap price. :dontknow:

A bit the yanks buying the wrong London Bridge. :laughing:

The consortiun is headed by an ex Everton director. Its probably more financially sound buying a little club and getting them promoted rather spending hundreds of millions on an already established top level club.

A bit the yanks buying the wrong London Bridge. :itch-chin:

The consortiun is headed by an ex Everton director. Its probably more financially sound buying a little club and getting them promoted rather spending hundreds of millions on an already established top level club.

Interesting one, but a huge challenge to the outsider. After all, they were a Premier League club little more than a decade ago, but went into freefall and ended up in the 4th tier, not far away from becoming non-league. Think of the prestige these new owners will get, if they resurrect a club in freefall...

Guest LondonScottish
Interesting one, but a huge challenge to the outsider. After all, they were a Premier League club little more than a decade ago, but went into freefall and ended up in the 4th tier, not far away from becoming non-league. Think of the prestige these new owners will get, if they resurrect a club in freefall...

I don't remember them being in the Premier League, although my memory may be failing me. I think they briefly scraped into the old division 1 early 90's, but were relegated the following season. They were the real whipping boys that year.

I don't remember them being in the Premier League, although my memory may be failing me. I think they briefly scraped into the old division 1 early 90's, but were relegated the following season. They were the real whipping boys that year.

Sorry, I meant Div 1. It wasn't re-named the EPL until 1992-93, wasn't it? They were indeed whipping boys, but as I said, they were a top division side on merit, albeit very briefly. They went into freefall after that and were practically non-league recently. A real challenge, this.

Guest LondonScottish
Sorry, I meant Div 1. It wasn't re-named the EPL until 1992-93, wasn't it? They were indeed whipping boys, but as I said, they were a top division side on merit, albeit very briefly. They went into freefall after that and were practically non-league recently. A real challenge, this.

I have to disagree. I don't see it as much of a challenge; cettainly not up to the Championship with the money they have available. Should be two promotions in two seasons, depending on how quickly they get good enough players in. Probably a season or two in the Championship before hitting the EPL. Most clubs that have had money thrown at them have all had rapid promotion, eg Blackburn, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Peterborough, and none of them have nearly the money this Arabian consortium has.

It seems sensible to buy a fallen "big club" for peanuts and get them promoted rather than spending hundreds of millions taking over an EPL side. You could probably spend

Think it was the season before it was re-named the Premier League that they were there. Seem to remember they'd Tommy Johnson up front for them around that time.

Be interesting to see if they appoint a new boss with a bigger reputation in order to attract better players. And how long it takes before they overtake their city rivals...

Think it was the season before it was re-named the Premier League that they were there. Seem to remember they'd Tommy Johnson up front for them around that time.

Be interesting to see if they appoint a new boss with a bigger reputation in order to attract better players. And how long it takes before they overtake their city rivals...

It'll be interesting to see what players they sign, I wonder if we will see EPL players in Division 1?

Guest LondonScottish
It'll be interesting to see what players they sign, I wonder if we will see EPL players in Division 1?

I would doubt it. Probably just get a group of decent Championship/top league 1 players to get them into the Championship, then consolidate and bring in better players for the push to the EPL.

Guest LondonScottish
no they didn't.

Of course they didn't, but there was an old wives tale that they thought they were buying Tower Bridge instead.