Wimbledon

Guest SS RED

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fancy a Nadal vs Federer final again. I don't understand why Nadal has dropped away with the bookies... I'd imagine he'll be fighting fit after his his rest, and will be played in on the surface after a couple of round. Nadal for me this year. Still the best player in the world in my opinion.

In the womens event, I have no idea, completely unpredicatable. I hope Safina wins though, even though she's a big brute - out side the grand slams she's dominated the womens tour, but just hasn't been able to secure that first grand slam.

I fancy a Nadal vs Federer final again. I don't understand why Nadal has dropped away with the bookies... I'd imagine he'll be fighting fit after his his rest, and will be played in on the surface after a couple of round. Nadal for me this year. Still the best player in the world in my opinion.

In the womens event, I have no idea, completely unpredicatable. I hope Safina wins though, even though she's a big brute - out side the grand slams she's dominated the womens tour, but just hasn't been able to secure that first grand slam.

I thought it as because he hadn't declared whether or not he was playing, well so i was told last night. With it being an ante post market his odds would naturally lengthen

1.) Only declared himself fit for it a few days out with knee problems

1.) Went out of French Open Early due to these knee problems - wasnt playing well because of some reason. Betting man would say this is the reason.

P.S Womans: Caroline Wosniacki is pretty damn attractive and a good player, so will go for her / Safina for womans

I'm aware of this, as I watch a great of deal tennis.... he didn't look that injured to me at the French Open, or Madrid and Monte Carlo! Against Soderling in the french open his movement certainly wasn't restricted either.... I very much doubt it's a serious injury, as he was was practising with Andy Murray without any strapping yesterday!

I reckon he'll be back with a bang this time around, his class will show through in the end..... as for Federer, I think the French Open will have a galvanising effect upon him - I reckon he's a cert for the final. It's certainly going to be an intreguing tournament.... I love del potro as a player, but I'm not sure about his preparation for the tournament - he didn't bother with Queens or Halle last week, while Djokovic hasn't exactly been playing to his full potential this year, although he did make the final at Halle. The top 4 in the world are looking extremely good for the semi-finals in my opinion.

I think Murray still needs to up his game another bit to win Wimbledon, he is more than capable especially with his record on Federer and Nadal being "unfit" but this is the type of situation where he is likely to get beaten from a nobody, I hope I am wrong but I can see this happening them him coming back to maybe win this next year.

I think Murray still needs to up his game another bit to win Wimbledon, he is more than capable especially with his record on Federer and Nadal being "unfit" but this is the type of situation where he is likely to get beaten from a nobody, I hope I am wrong but I can see this happening them him coming back to maybe win this next year.

Tend to agree with you. I haven't seen the draw, but if Murray's 3rd seed and Nadal's 2nd?, he'll have his work cut out to get past the semis. However, if Nadal's 2nd and is beaten early on, it might well open up the draw.

Although I wouldn't have put money on it, I wonder whether someone like Haas isn't a good outside bet.

However, I think Resurgent Roger is going to be right back there.

As to the women, haven't a clue!

:ThumbsDown:

I think Rafa may go out early, if he plays of course. Combination of not being fully fit and of course, grass not being his preferred surface. Ok, he won it last year but still not convinced by him on grass and his knees may see him struggle to get into week two.

Murray, well would love to see him win it but not sure he can still handle the long matches at Grand Slams - he's shown before he can struggle to handle the rigours of a 5 setter. Think he will reach QF or SF.

For me, either someone totally different will come through and win it or Federer will retain it. Fed showed he's not finished with his win at the French and will be on a high to win Wimbledon again.

I still think Murray is a year, maybe two, away from winning Wimbledon yet. I may be wrong of course (and would LOVE to be proved wrong) but I think he's a bit away from the finished article, mainly because his serve lacks consistency. If he serves well and gets the majority of 1st serves in, he'll be very hard to beat, but his 2nd serve is poor on grass and therein lies the problem. It only needs an off-day with his serve to leave him vulnerable and he's out...

I think he's got a tremendous opportunity to win the US Open this year, though, given that it's his best surface and he's already reached the final last year and will be looking to go one better.

Come on, Andy!

I think Rafa may go out early, if he plays of course. Combination of not being fully fit and of course, grass not being his preferred surface. Ok, he won it last year but still not convinced by him on grass and his knees may see him struggle to get into week two.

Murray, well would love to see him win it but not sure he can still handle the long matches at Grand Slams - he's shown before he can struggle to handle the rigours of a 5 setter. Think he will reach QF or SF.

For me, either someone totally different will come through and win it or Federer will retain it. Fed showed he's not finished with his win at the French and will be on a high to win Wimbledon again.

No way mate, the top 4 and probably Del Potro (although I have no idea how he'll react to grass), are head by about a country mile. The winner will come from one of Murray, Federer, Djokovic and Nadal in my opinion - if Del Potro makes a smooth transition you can add him to the mix too. If it were just Federer and Nadal, an outsider had to over come, then through luck of the draw, or by beating one of the big boys in a one off, I could maybe believe it.... however, I just feel it too much of an ask to over come two top players on either side of the draw, before you've even made the final.

Take the french for example.... Soderling would have won the whole tournament in any other era - but it's too much of an ask now, with the big 4 having moved things on another level. Soderling beat Nadal to set up a semi with Gonzales(would have been murray had it been on a hard court), played the two games of his life to reach the final.... leaving Federer. It is too much to hope an outsider could win wimbledon - the mens game is too strong right now.

As SOTR said the winner will come from the Big 4 - although I really have my doubts about Rafa, I think he needs a long lay-off to recover and if he doesn't take it he's going to kill his career years too early.

If anyone outside the Top 4 can win it would be Roddick, but he isn't looking up to the rigours either. Guys like Del Potro fall into the category of potential surprise finalist - but I doubt he'll get past the quarters.

Guys like Del Potro fall into the category of potential surprise finalist - but I doubt he'll get past the quarters.

He's an unknown quantity on grass really... like Murray, his game has transformed over the past 12 months. I will be following his progress closely, as he's some player - Novak Djokovic might have to start looking over his shoulder again soon!

No way mate, the top 4 and probably Del Potro (although I have no idea how he'll react to grass), are head by about a country mile. The winner will come from one of Murray, Federer, Djokovic and Nadal in my opinion - if Del Potro makes a smooth transition you can add him to the mix too. If it were just Federer and Nadal, an outsider had to over come, then through luck of the draw, or by beating one of the big boys in a one off, I could maybe believe it.... however, I just feel it too much of an ask to over come two top players on either side of the draw, before you've even made the final.

Take the french for example.... Soderling would have won the whole tournament in any other era - but it's too much of an ask now, with the big 4 having moved things on another level. Soderling beat Nadal to set up a semi with Gonzales(would have been murray had it been on a hard court), played the two games of his life to reach the final.... leaving Federer. It is too much to hope an outsider could win wimbledon - the mens game is too strong right now.

I just have a feeling someone else may have a run through and cause a surprise, much like Soderling did at the French - one of the French trio or Wawrinka perhaps. Maybe they won't win it but a different finalist anyway. I reckon Federer will win it though if I had to name someone.

Don't think Djokovic will win it either - his form has been really poor of late and as you say Del Potro could surprise a few people but he'll take a bit of time to adjust to grass IMO so could be a bit soon for him.

I just have a feeling someone else may have a run through and cause a surprise, much like Soderling did at the French - one of the French trio or Wawrinka perhaps. Maybe they won't win it but a different finalist anyway. I reckon Federer will win it though if I had to name someone.

Don't think Djokovic will win it either - his form has been really poor of late and as you say Del Potro could surprise a few people but he'll take a bit of time to adjust to grass IMO so could be a bit soon for him.

Gasquet is suspended pending an investigation regarding the drug allegation, while Simon is on pretty poor form and I just don't think Monfils is good enough. Wawrinka has had a few decent wins of late, but like the french trio, I just don't see the consistency in his game - to put out one of the big 4, they'd have to be having a serious off day....

... we'll see though, what ever happens it'll be an intreguing tournament. Men tennis right now is in tremendous shape!

He's an unknown quantity on grass really... like Murray, his game has transformed over the past 12 months. I will be following his progress closely, as he's some player - Novak Djokovic might have to start looking over his shoulder again soon!

Agree - apart from the "like Murray" bit. Murray is a known quantity on grass, and all other surfaces, he's very very good.

Del Potro is good but there's still quite a gap between him and the top 4. He's very much in that 2nd tier with guys like Roddick, Verdasco, Tsonga, etc. These guys are the Everton's and Villa's of the Tennis world :hysterical: