F1 Teams To Set Up Rival Series

Formula One has been thrown into chaos with the news that the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) plan to set up a rival championship in 2010.

World motorsport boss Max Mosley had written to five of the potential breakaway teams in a bid to end the bitter row over budget cap proposals.

But the appeal of the FIA chief does not appear to have had any impact.

Following a four-hour meeting, Fota announced that it had grown frustrated with the stance of Mosley and the FIA.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship," said a Fota statement.

"These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders.

"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8108488.stm

Haven't paid much attention to F1 in recent years but it seems to be in a total mess right now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8108488.stm

Haven't paid much attention to F1 in recent but it seems to be in a total mess right now.

it will come to football one day and exactly the same will happen, no need for meddling in budgets to this extent, some cuts agreed across the board by the teams would have been the sensible option instead of these drastic changes immediately.

Total farce. Will never happen as wont get as much sponsorship for this half baked idea and we all know it is all about the ridiculous money in F1.

IMO it will rake in the money, If the likes of Ferrari , Mclaren , BMW , Brawn , Renault and the 2 Red Bull teams start up a new rival series i can see most of the money going their way.

Sky would prob buy up the rights and offer a better viewing package all round.

What a f**king dogshit soap opera F1 is. There's f**k all happening on the track so it wouldn't surprise me if this is a plan set up by the teams and Bernie Ecclestone to keep it in the headlines.

I watched the MotoGP on Sunday. Pisses over anything that F1 can throw up.

IMO it will rake in the money, If the likes of Ferrari , Mclaren , BMW , Brawn , Renault and the 2 Red Bull teams start up a new rival series i can see most of the money going their way.

Sky would prob buy up the rights and offer a better viewing package all round.

agreed

Interesting developments, I think this may be close to what happened with the premiership - the FA couldn't imagine thiings going the way they did and lost their golden temas. FIA could be so stupid - this is a group led by Max and Bernie so compromise is not their strongest suit - I suspect Ferrari will have sounded out sponsors and circuits - it could certainly be set up with enough willing participants - and if all the main teams are off that would kill FIA F1 - who do people suypport - it isn't FIA and F1 is simply a brand.

I suspect a deal will get hammered out however, but if not I think they will go.

5 teams already committed to F1 for next season and today is deadline day for 5 teams to committ to F1 for next season or risk exclusion. Will soon see if they are serious or not.

Brawn, BMW-Sauber, McLaren, Renault and Toyota - to convert their provisional entries into unconditional ones or risk being excluded.

Interesting developments, I think this may be close to what happened with the premiership - the FA couldn't imagine thiings going the way they did and lost their golden temas. FIA could be so stupid - this is a group led by Max and Bernie so compromise is not their strongest suit - I suspect Ferrari will have sounded out sponsors and circuits - it could certainly be set up with enough willing participants - and if all the main teams are off that would kill FIA F1 - who do people suypport - it isn't FIA and F1 is simply a brand.

I suspect a deal will get hammered out however, but if not I think they will go.

I imagine you're right. Circuits shouldn't be a problem as there are now significantly more grand prix circuits than there are grand prix races. I don't imagine sponsorship would be a problem either.

You could see two competing series running at the same time for a couple of years but certainly one would fold, but it could be interesting to see some competition creating innovation in a sport that, frankly, has become increasingly mundane.

5 teams already committed to F1 for next season and today is deadline day for 5 teams to committ to F1 for next season or risk exclusion. Will soon see if they are serious or not.

Brawn, BMW-Sauber, McLaren, Renault and Toyota - to convert their provisional entries into unconditional ones or risk being excluded.

And the 5 teams that have signed up are -

Williams , Force India , Team US F1 , Campos GP and Manor GP. :applause:

The rest have said they will not compete under the current proposed rules for next season. The drivers and contracted to the teams not F1 or FIA , They will simply go where there teams go.

The fans will follow the teams and the drivers that they have supported for years,

It's getting interestng -I wonder where Bernie will jump?

The publication of a schedule for next year will certainly add to the fun of it all. They want Max out - he's got the balls and stupidity to bring the whole ediface down around his head but only if Bernie lets him.

Now that circuits have been sorted - media rights will go out - the teams have all the drivers contracted to them - the fans will follow the teams and drivers and FIA will be left holding ashes and phoning lawyers. Bernie will not want to let the money go - interesting game of poker being played in public gaze - I think FIA/Max have overplayed their hand and underestimated Ferrari/BMW/Mercedes/Toyota/Renault - these guys are not chumps or lunatics but very hard nosed businessmen.

Someone will blink soon

:thumbup1:

Max was already going before Ferrari and co decided to leave. He only changed his mind about re-standing for election after the teams spoke about breaking away.

That's the current spin - whilst he said he was standing down after the Nazi hooker fiasco popular gossip had him standing again in October to provide much needed continuity - one of the factors prompting the teams behaviour - Max has now had to nail his leaving to the agreement.

When the music stops it's Max standing without a chair.

:blahblah1: