Bobby Caught Up In Uganda Gay Row

Spotted this story at the bottom of the Two Jimmies to Spain article:

BOBBY CAUGHT UP IN UGANDA GAY ROW

BOBBY Williamson could lose his job as manager of the Ugandan national team next season unless he agrees to sign a form condemning homosexuality.

The former Kilmarnock, Hibernian, Plymouth Argyle and Chester City boss, along with every other football coach in the African country, will be asked to sign a code of conduct which

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
At the beginning of Bobby Williamson's reign as Uganda manager, the Scot asked his employers if they could record previous matches of upcoming opposition in order to study their tactics.

He was told by the Ugandan FA (Fufa) that it would not be possible. The Federation did not own any VHS video recorders or tapes, let alone DVD players.

Undeterred, the former Kilmarnock manager has now been in charge for the last four years and on Saturday he finds himself with a chance of leading the 'Cranes' to the Africa Cup of Nations for the first time since 1978.

It would, the 51-year-old admits, be the "biggest achievement" of his career should his team qualify for the 2013 finals, given they are 1-0 down after the first leg to the reigning champions Zambia.

Saturday's game certainly isn't the best chance of reaching the Cup of Nations in Williamson's reign. Uganda missed out on the 2012 competition by one goal when the team drew 0-0 with Kenya in last year's qualifiers. But at least now the Glaswegian has the resources to study the opposing team in attempting to reach South Africa next January.

And should Uganda succeed it would make some occasion, coming two days after the country celebrated 50 years of independence.

"The situation has improved at Fufa since I started," Williamson told BBC Sport from Uganda's capital, Kampala. "I managed to get tapes of the Zambia games in the Cup of Nations which were very helpful because they used a [specific] corner kick which we were able to combat and prevent from happening.

"We were also aware of a long throw-in they used which we defended quite well in training. Unfortunately in the first leg, the linesman didn't realise that the Zambian player was on the pitch when he released the ball and we conceded a goal from that so it was disappointing the official didn't do his job properly."

Uganda go into the tie unbeaten at home since 2004, and have been boosted by the return of experienced strikers Geoffrey Massa and Brian Umony following injury. The visitors, meanwhile, will be without star midfielder Rainford Kalaba to add to their grumbles about the pitch at Uganda's Namboole Stadium.

But 51-year-old Williamson, who has also had spells in charge of Hibernian, Plymouth and Chester, is measured about his teams chances.

"It would probably be the biggest achievement of my career if we made it through," he admitted. "I try and remain focussed because it will be difficult. We are quite formidable at home but it's getting that goal. Zambia are very good defensively."

Williamson, who would be the only British coach at next year's Cup of Nations, is an intriguing character mixing softly-spoken charm with a sharp wit.

The former striker does not look like the kind of person who you would like to get on the wrong side of and has some forthright opinions of the press and football in general. When I asked him for a prediction about a game once, he replied: "I have no idea what is going to happen. That's why I go to watch."

Some may question what makes coaching an unheralded east African team appeal so much. But it is clear that he prides himself in guiding his players and hopes that reaching the finals will finally make the footballing world take notice of a nation, he says, is bristling with talent.

"It's the most rewarding job I've had," he said. "The players are very respectful and hungry for success and they are as professional as they can be, given most are semi-professional. They want to learn and it's a joy to work with them and represent them as a coach.

"I'll help them the best I can to go further in their careers, whether it's in Uganda or elsewhere, but we really need to have the catalyst of winning this game and qualify for one of the major tournaments. Hopefully then people will start looking at Ugandan footballers and think they can do a job for them somewhere."I want to reward these guys with a win on Saturday and qualify for a major tournament. Thirty-five years is a long time, and I look at the way they have been unlucky, missing out on goal difference and last game scenarios. It's about time they made that last step."

Bob's Uganda need to overturn a 1-0 defeat to get to the ACN.

Obviously the punters in Uganda aren't too fussed on entertainment levels.

You're all about the percentages these days EPK.

How many penalties did Esson save while he was at Pittodrie incidentally? If you could express it as a percentage that would be ideal.

On the penultimate game of the season, Esson saved a penalty by Riordan, in a game that Aberdeen won 2-1 away to Hibs, Darren Mackie scoring a double,

Blaha was Mackie's strike partner that day, How a partnership of those two managed to get AFC into a position to qualify for Europe on the final game of the season is beyond percentages.

Ah so from confident of an utter tanking the confidence is slipping somewhat.

It's called sport min.

Your opponent always has a chance.

Not much, granted, if it's me he's facing, but he has a glimmer of hope.

Just like the new club in the 3rd division, the plucky the rangers, had a faint chance of beating SFL established club Stirling Albion last week.

It's called sport min.

Your opponent always has a chance.

Not much, granted, if it's me he's facing, but he has a glimmer of hope.

Just like the new club in the 3rd division, the plucky the rangers, had a faint chance of beating SFL established club Stirling Albion last week.

So you've backtracked considerably since your claim he didn't stand a chance.

Spineless.

So you've backtracked considerably since your claim he didn't stand a chance.

Spineless.

Boof, I will take over from here.

I am considering not going to work on Tuesday, take a week off unpaid, I will head to Aberdeen and hunt Tup down, first port of call will be this Adam Lounge, he will be instantly identifiable by his hosking trainers, if he is wearing shoes I will simply ask the barman to point out the singular cunt with the Caithness twang, and of course the only male drinking shandy. While at the bar I will get a 50p for the pool table, I will only need 1 as I will be holding the table.

I will then deliver such a ruthless display of potting ability that the contest will be over in quick time.

You'll struggle on Tuesday EPK, I won't be there until Friday.

You'll go to work and come out with some pish excuse, like cousin, like cousin.

Says the man who got his excuses in about Dingwall.

I will find you, I will beat you. I will be victorious.

I will buy you a real pint.

I'm not difficult to find.

I will however prove to have abilities at pool the like of which you will never have encountered in 2 shots carry land.

I'm all about the serious flair.

If you're a grinder, and you start your shit, expect the butt end of the cue across the forehead, rapidly.