Mcleish's Lightweight Season

Greetings!

Alex McLeish is a Dons legend who if Wikipedia has it right, made just a handful of games shy of 500 games for the club.

A season regular since 1979, he seemed to play most games, most seasons, with the exception of 1991-92.

I've been trying to find out what lead him to just play 7 games that season as club Captain, but have had to give up on trusty google to provide me the answer :banghead:

Can any staunch fans remember what happened, and the period for which he was out for the club?

Many thanks

Graeme :cheers:

If my memory serves me right he had a foot problem that went un detected as he had pain in other areas.

In the end he got one of those solid insole things not sure of correct name for them !

I remember many people thought he was finished but in the end the time out helped him play on for while .

custom orthotics.

the guy who made them for him owns a shop on craigie loanings just up from osborne place opposite the bus stop.

so if anyone reading this needs orthotics, go to this guy. got a machine to scan your foot shape and watches the way you walk so you get the perfect insoles.

custom orthotics.

the guy who made them for him owns a shop on craigie loanings just up from osborne place opposite the bus stop.

so if anyone reading this needs orthotics, go to this guy. got a machine to scan your foot shape and watches the way you walk so you get the perfect insoles.

More interesting a tale and responses than I was perhaps anticipating. Does anybody know how long exactly he was out for ???

Thanks

Well...he played 7 games so surely you have your answer?

Err.. given that I am ultimately trying to establish whether he played in April 1992, and his 7 appearances could have been made either end of the season, no i don't !!

Yet I do know that the man who fixed him up owns a shop on craigie loanings just up from osborne place opposite the bus stop.

Incredible :suicide:

• Site Sponsor

Err.. given that I am ultimately trying to establish whether he played in April 1992, and his 7 appearances could have been made either end of the season, no i don't !!

Yet I do know that the man who fixed him up owns a shop on craigie loanings just up from osborne place opposite the bus stop.

Incredible :suicide:

His games were:

30/11/91 v Falkirk Home 1-1 draw

4/12/91 v Huns 3-2 loss

7/12/91 v Airdire 2-0 loss

28/12/91 v Tims 2-2 draw

1/1/92 v Dundee Utd 4-0 loss

4/1/92 v St Mirren 0-0 draw

11/1/92 v Hearts 4-0 win

His games were:

30/11/91 v Falkirk Home 1-1 draw

4/12/91 v Huns 3-2 loss

7/12/91 v Airdire 2-0 loss

28/12/91 v Tims 2-2 draw

1/1/92 v Dundee Utd 4-0 loss

4/1/92 v St Mirren 0-0 draw

11/1/92 v Hearts 4-0 win

Wicked !!!!!

Do you know who captained the side in his absence, as can't find any references to this either?

Cheers

G

out of interest, why are you looking into this?

I'm profiling Alex McLeish for a current project. Despite finding 100's of references to his Aberdeen, and indeed Scotland career on the web; his injury and significant absence from the Dons side in 91-92 (especially given his being club captain at the time) isn't seemingly touched upon anywhere. Who was captain in his absence is just an added curiosity.

ah ..Scott Booth, another great !