Lenny Taylor

ABERDEEN FC youth coaching chief Lenny Taylor is retiring at the end of this season.

Star finder Lenny, 66, is stepping down to spend more time with his family.

Lenny helped unearth gems like Eric Black, John Hewitt and Neale Cooper during his first spell at Pittodrie.

He parted company with the Dons in 1995 because of his teaching commitments.

But he returned to Pittodrie in January 2006 and helped to revamp Aberdeen

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2092576

Fantastic servant to the Dons in two spells.

Major blow, this, but cannot deny the man his retirement.

I'm sure his workload can be transferred but it's the way he will have communicated with the youngsters that will be difficult to replicate, given his academic history.

Hopefully Simmie or Cooper will be able to pick up the baton, and that the template will be easy to copy.

Major blow, this, but cannot deny the man his retirement.

I'm sure his workload can be transferred but it's the way he will have communicated with the youngsters that will be difficult to replicate, given his academic history.

Hopefully Simmie or Cooper will be able to pick up the baton, and that the template will be easy to copy.

Absolutely. He is very much "old school" in his methods but there is no denying he get's his staff, and most importantly the kids to respond. His record, especially in his first spell (not forgetting George Adams) is amazing. Will be very difficult to replace.

One thing though, we may see the return of some "funcy pieces" in the Balgownie pavilion after games now! :thumbup1:

cant be a co-incidink that our youth set-up seemed to produce the goods since he came back - can it?

i dont know much about the ins and outs of what he done, but would just like to register my thanks!

Here here. My feelings exactly. Major blow to the club but the guys got to live his life.

The guy is all about respect. I remember he used to make us stand up when him (or any senior member of staff) entered the assembly hall and stand up when they left. He's the only person I've seen enter a room/area and everyone falls silent, hoping they weren't about to get a row. He was strict but wasn't harsh.

Was glad to see he was involved in the youth system and I'm sad that he'll soon be leaving.

EDIT: used, not sued!

Lennys a top lad. Known him for years. Will be sadly missed at the club. As someone else pointed out it aint a coincidence that at 2 spells at the club he's produced a good foundation for a youth system and filtering out good talent. It will be interesting to see who replaces him.

• 4 months later...

When I was in 5th & 6th year at Kemnay Acadamy (20 odd years ago), we would play 5-side indoor against the teachers on a Friday after school and he would play and take Jocky Scott & Drew Jarvie along and they would make up a decent team and insist on playing with a proper ball and not an indoor football. I remember a shot from Jarvie going right through my mate in goals hands and busting his nose, how I laughed! So if nothing else, thanks for that!

Old School out .... New School in please.

No one from the City and giving jobs for the boys thanks.

Just the correct person for the job, be he from the city, the shire, Stewart Milne's cousin, Willie Miller's loon, I don't particularly care. If he is the right candidate, then get him hired.

Just the correct person for the job, be he from the city, the shire, Stewart Milne's cousin, Willie Miller's loon, I don't particularly care. If he is the right candidate, then get him hired.

Totally agree ... I'd like them to get one of the motherwell Youth coaches ... Canna mind his name but spots talent a mile off and works on peanuts to get a decent standard.

Totally agree ... I'd like them to get one of the motherwell Youth coaches ... Canna mind his name but spots talent a mile off and works on peanuts to get a decent standard.

A talent spotter and good coach he may be. Would he be the correct person to oversee, from top to bottom, and everything involved away from the training ground, a complete academy? An academy, which incidentally will gain in the near future, due to the work behind the scenes of Len Taylor amongst others, SFA elite level status. One of only 4 or 5 I think to be awarded such

Erm, where's the abuse in this thread? Are folks seriously using a thread on here to praise someone associated with AFC?? Well I never!

Cheerio Lenny and thanks for all your good work. It takes a class act to win over folks on this site and it's clear to all that your work has been invaluable to us Dandies. Here's hoping you've trained up the remaining youth coaches in the way you've trained up so many good youngsters!

All the best, DHD