Submit Your Best Afc Xi For A T-Shirt

Hi all,

Im a graphic designer based in Glasgow and a lifelong Dons fan from Culter originally. A designer friend of mine based in London creates a series of football club tee's called 'Elevens' (See attached image of the Liverpool and Spurs versions) and visit http://www.gradiate.co.uk/ I have spoken to him about creating the first SPL side shirt for Aberdeen FC tee and Im looking for your thoughts on the best ever AFC team consisting of the first 11 outfield players in position and a manager (Can guess who that will be) I will leave it open for a week or so to gauge the feedback and then will take the most voted for players and get a tee shirt design put together. Once created the tee's will be available from the site for sale. Do you guys think that these would go down well with the fans and would any of you be keen to buy one once created?

I'll get the ball rolling with the classic Gothenburg Greats Squad, plus some extras that might need to be considered. This will obviously be pretty difficult to please everyone, so lets have a bit of fun with it and then get a tee produced that we can all feel we had a part of creating. Also any thoughts on the colour? Red tee and white text is the obvious choice but I will leave that open as well for your thoughts?

Manager: Alex Ferguson / Craig Brown ( :itch-chin:)

Jim Leighton / Theo Snelders

Doug Rougvie

John McMaster

Neale Cooper

Alex McLeish / Russell Anderson

Willie Miller (captain) / Stewart McKimmie / Henning Boel

Gordon Strachan / Paul Mason / Robert 'Bobby' Connor

Neil Simpson / Jim Bett / John McMaster / Zoltan Varga

Mark McGhee / Hans Gillhaus /

Eric Black / Eoin Jess / Drew Jarvie / Scott Booth

John Hewitt / Joe Harper / Duncan Shearer

ElLiv750px_2.jpg

_MG_2449.jpg

• Site Sponsor

What a great team although i'd replace Cooper with someone else although i cant think of who :applause:

Oh we could all replace players because we have had so many great ones.

Neale Cooper was a brilliant enforcer in midfield, from a very early age.

He'd tear Celtic a new one tomorrow.

I remember on Fergie's instructions he nailed Tommy Burns at Pittodrie in the first 10 seconds.

Oh we could all replace players because we have had so many great ones.

Neale Cooper was a brilliant enforcer in midfield, from a very early age.

He'd tear Celtic a new one tomorrow.

I remember on Fergie's instructions he nailed Tommy Burns at Pittodrie in the first 10 seconds.

I was never that keen on Cooper after an incident in Champers :unsure:

I'll swap him for Eric Black-never seen anyone hang in the air like him before or since

The trick will be to get it right without being too Gothenburg - centred - makes it look like we only ever had 11 decent players...

So... Keeper is tough, Leighton I guess for years of service, although I always thought Snelders was technically the better keeper. I'm a aul' mannie, so I'd put a word in for Bobby Clark too.

Defence: Miller / McLeish unarguable; for me also Stewart Kennedy - never seen a better FB in a Dons shirt. Leaves left back, which even in the Ferguson days wasn't our strongest position. David Robertson I guess, although my heart says Rougvie.

Midfield: Strachan for certain, Arthur Graham on the other side just shades Weir for natural flair. Through the middle, Jim Bett for me ahead of Cooper, although he was a bit of a polarising character. Can't leave out Varga (especially with Bumper in there too), but I wish there was a place for Simmie and Billy Stark for goals.

Forwards: MacDougall and Archibald just ahead of King Joey. Ask me tomorrow, and I'll have swapped those two round, though.

In summary:

1. Leighton

2. Kennedy

6. Miller

5. McLeish

3. Robertson

4. Bett

7. Strachan

8. Varga

11. Graham

9. MacDougall

10. Archibald

Manager: Ferguson

Well, as I started supporting the Dons just after Fergie signed Leighton for Man Utd, I'll give you a team from then onwards.

Snelders

Miller

McLeish

Anderson

Robertson

Jess

Bett

Zerouali

Richardson

Gilhaus

Stavrum

Imagine that side in the SPL today? We'd have won 9 in a row by now.

Can't even begin to countenance anybody but Fergie, but after his time, I'm hard pressed to disagree with Pa Broon, unless we can have Smiffy and Jocky. :)

Thanks for all the responses so far guys, great stuff. I will leave this open until Tuesday and then will post up a final 11 for the tee based on the responses. Thinking so far based on the comments a good mix of younger and older club legends to cater for everyone will work best for the tee. So anymore suggestions get them in and then we'll get the tee produced in time for the Scottish Cup Final :crossfingers: . I like the idea of Jess and Harper, Strachan and Bett, Hewitt and Hillhaus etc A good mix of older and more recent Dons legends. Will look great.

Leighton

Kennedy

Miller

McLeish

Rougvie

Strachan

Cooper

Weir

Black

McGhee

Hewitt

Ferguson

Rougvie, and the front three not the best by any means (although McGhee is a good enough shout), but legendary status and contribution to our history, and a period in our history that simply won't be repeated means they have to be in.

Surely it has to be the Gothenburg team? Obviously a forum will be more likely to involve young loons who weren't around at the time but looking at the other t shirts that doesn't appear to be an issue.......as for best technical team i'd probably go

Leighton

McKimmie

David Robertson

Miller

McLeish

Simpson

Jess

Strachan

Weir

McDougall

Black