Paul Hartley

Maybe Millertime was right, legs have completely gone , he had a few decent passes but was miles off the pace today

So has he gone from Captain Marvellous/an inspired signing to past-it liability in the space of half a season? Awesome. How very excellently Aberdeen that is.

Maybe Millertime was right, legs have completely gone , he had a few decent passes but was miles off the pace today

Often said about some aberdeen players that there second touch is a tackle

his second touch was a tackle everytime

constantly on the wrong side of players

couldnt muscle the games

just before the managerial change there was a lot of comments that he wasnt bossing games and wasnt doing either a captain role or midfield engine room role

As well as back to the comedy defence we were back to the poor captain imo

Oh and in JiT I complained a bout players not being focused and waving to family after they came out for kick off - I didnt name names but one of them was hartley

He is lacking totally in pace and was found out a few times today. But then if you read the Charlie Adam threads apparently pace doesn't matter!

If he had the same passing ability as Charlie Adam and we had the same movement and work rate as Blackpool it wouldn't be such an issue, but he doesn't and we don't so....

Am I paranoid or is that sarcastic?

No. Our team is p!sh. I never thought I would be envious of a team containing Charlie Adam, Stephen Crainey and DJ Campbell though!

I still think Hartley has something to give but he is not a guy that a team can be built on like he was a few years back.

No. Our team is p!sh. I never thought I would be envious of a team containing Charlie Adam, Stephen Crainey and DJ Campbell though!

I still think Hartley has something to give but he is not a guy that a team can be built on like he was a few years back.

Maybe I'm a bit emotional after that today :gay:

Teams that actually work hard can, generally, afford to carry a passenger. That was the main difference today. They wanted it, we didn't. Anyone watch McCourt when he came on? Fantastic on the ball and managed to find space wherever he went despite never breaking into a sprint. Depressing.

One thing that concerns me about Hartley, and some of the others in the team, is that they seem to b in awe of Celtic, and it may have an impact on how they play. Diamond said in an interview last week that Celtic are a great team. There would have none of that nonsense in Fergie's day.

Even if they have supported Celtic, they are still Aberdeen players first and foremost.

when u have a player like Hartley u need to play him along side players that have the pace n energy to compensate, thats why it worked well when fyvie was along side him, he needs a hard worker so he can play his passing game better

young is hopeless so no good having him there and milsom needs more time to settle

I suspect that Paul will go the way of aging midfielders, move further back and maybe even be used in the second half when he will be fresher and the opposition will have 45 minutes in their legs. He has ability and grit but we are seeing hoim in his twilight football years and need to use his football intelligence intelligently. The first half yesterday was woeful, he can't have been overawed by the tims surely, just outplayed.

I'm confident he can still ' a job' for us as in one specific job instead of many different ones. Play him just in front of the defnce or not at all, it was like playing with a man down the play was passing him by that much. He needs players around him like Milsom(who looks like a great addition) and or Young(who has been impressive up until yesterday or Jack. Looking forward to see what the las Lowe has to offer as our midfield definitely needs bulking up.

Aye, he was a bombscare and looked totally lost... a knock my arse, at least Brown didn't slate the boy like other managers would have.

After watching the highlights, there wasn't much he did wrong for the 4 goals. I think the substitution lay more from the fact we started 3-5-2 and we had to revert to 4-4-2... hence the reason he came off. Think Brown was as much covering his own admission of error there by saying he had a an ankle knock. Truth was, going 4-4-2, there was no real place for him in midfield. Jack was the obvious person to replace him.

Critically of Hartley though, I thought he was a yard off the pace in the 1st half. He and Milsom were very very deep 2nd half as well. Hartley offers no attacking back-up, which surprises me.

Hartley had absolutely no influence on the team yesterday at all and it was worrying. I noticed in the league game last week that he was commiting stupid fouls and he carried that attitude into the game yesterday. Better get his finger out for Tuesday cause we need his influence to resurface again.