League Cup

I see little reason to continue with this trophy.

No European place to the winner and the crowds at the two semis (even though we took a decent 12k) sums it up.

The o.f. (the tims especially are a disgrace as Hampden is within 2miles of tim park) and 'well are both within a 20min drive yet none of the semi finalists could sell their allocation.

It has always been the 3rd price after The Title and The Scottish Cup.

I feel that the continuation of this Cup only further cheapens Scottish Football.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowd of 38,000 yesterday the largest for a LC semi-final since the OF played each other in 2002 - kinda sums up the general apathy towards the tournament. It would be a shame to see it go, but I can definitely see the point in your argument.

Perhaps ditching the LC should be contemplated as part of the overall review of Scottish football, might help strengthen the argument in favour of an earlier start and a winter shutdown.

Crowd of 38,000 yesterday the largest for a LC semi-final since the OF played each other in 2002 - kinda sums up the general apathy towards the tournament. It would be a shame to see it go, but I can definitely see the point in your argument.

Perhaps ditching the LC should be contemplated as part of the overall review of Scottish football, might help strengthen the argument in favour of an earlier start and a winter shutdown.

Fair point.

The timing of the semis and final is wrong too.

Expecting 12k to drive 3hrs at this time of year is shocking.

The crash(es) (7 cars involved I believe) on the A90 by Laurencekirk yesterday morning prove this point.

The league cup is the only trophy we have any hope of winning in the long term... sad but true.

Daft comment, since by definition we have as much chance of winning the SC as the LC given that they have identical formats.

Besides there's no such thing as winning a cup 'in the long term'. You either win the f**king thing or you don't!

I think there would be an argument for turning the later rounds of the league cup into some sort of British cup. Whether that is even a realistic option is doubtful but it would be a great spectacle, the TV would love it, stadiums would be full(er) and all round it would reinvigorate the tournaments. I think the English League cup has lost much of its shine as well.

I think there would be an argument for turning the later rounds of the league cup into some sort of British cup. Whether that is even a realistic option is doubtful but it would be a great spectacle, the TV would love it, stadiums would be full(er) and all round it would reinvigorate the tournaments. I think the English League cup has lost much of its shine as well.

Without a doubt.

There is an even bigger arguement to scrap the English League Cup.

Both are well past their sell by date.

I'd bin both.

Think this idea had been suggested before but agree it could be something for the Scottish and English FA's to look at.

Nothing. Ramp up the money involved in the Scottish Cup, and just get rid of this altogether. Plenty countries survive with just the one cup competition.

Could do what they do in Spain with the Copa del Rey and make the Scottish Cup a two legged affair and spread it out across the season a bit more.

Nothing. Ramp up the money involved in the Scottish Cup, and just get rid of this altogether. Plenty countries survive with just the one cup competition.

Don't know what our take was from the game yesterday but I'll bet it was a damn sight more that we'd have taken if we'd played a home league game - we took 12k+ yesterday woud we have got that at Pittodrie? I'm not disagreeing that its a poor competition - it was much better when it was played early on in the season with the final in November. And as for the suggestion that we join in with the English version in the latter stages....that would only work if we played all the games in Scotland because, sadly, down here they don't think a game against us or anyone outside the OF is an attractive proposition.

Could do what they do in Spain with the Copa del Rey and make the Scottish Cup a two legged affair and spread it out across the season a bit more.

I'd prefer just one cup played in one tie.

Part of the excitement of The Scottish Cup is the draw (both who you get and home/away).

If it was 2 legged it would almost kill the chances of an upset and a 2nd, 3rd or Highland League team getting a decent run.

Don't know what our take was from the game yesterday but I'll bet it was a damn sight more that we'd have taken if we'd played a home league game - we took 12k+ yesterday woud we have got that at Pittodrie? I'm not disagreeing that its a poor competition - it was much better when it was played early on in the season with the final in November. And as for the suggestion that we join in with the English version in the latter stages....that would only work if we played all the games in Scotland because, sadly, down here they don't think a game against us or anyone outside the OF is an attractive proposition.

I don't think justifying a cup competition purely based on the income from making a semi-final at Hampden is quite right. I struggle to see how the league cup format could be improved to make it a more interesting competition. A review of the Scottish game should include looking at that, but I can see why the SFL would not want this competition scrapped, as it is probably one of the bigger paydays for some of the smaller clubs in Scotland throughout the season.

I'd prefer just one cup played in one tie.

Part of the excitement of The Scottish Cup is the draw (both who you get and home/away).

If it was 2 legged it would almost kill the chances of an upset and a 2nd, 3rd or Highland League team getting a decent run.

That's probably true, it would most likely just lead to even more Old Firm finals, something none of us want. British cup would be the ideal solution, in fact I would go so far as an entirely British league. Sick to the back teeth of Scottish football, p!ss poor quality, no atmosphere and going nowhere fast. I'll get slaughtered for suggesting it but hey ho!

I don't think justifying a cup competition purely based on the income from making a semi-final at Hampden is quite right. I struggle to see how the league cup format could be improved to make it a more interesting competition. A review of the Scottish game should include looking at that, but I can see why the SFL would not want this competition scrapped, as it is probably one of the bigger paydays for some of the smaller clubs in Scotland throughout the season.

Your right...but unfortunately that's not how the bean counters see it and as we know the bean counters are much influential that us supporters.

I see little reason to continue with this trophy.

No European place to the winner and the crowds at the two semis (even though we took a decent 12k) sums it up.

The o.f. (the tims especially are a disgrace as Hampden is within 2miles of tim park) and 'well are both within a 20min drive yet none of the semi finalists could sell their allocation.

It has always been the 3rd price after The Title and The Scottish Cup.

I feel that the continuation of this Cup only further cheapens Scottish Football.

If we'd won yesterday, this thread wouldn't be here. Although this trophy has been devalued since the european place was taken away, it's still silverware at the end of the day.

I know the prize isn't big but I enjoy the League Cup. It's a chance to see some of the smaller teams at Pittodrie and I enjoy seeing teams you don't normally get to see. It also gives us a chance of a good day out at the end of it. I think ir would be a shame to get rid of it.

If it was anyway different to the Scottish Cup, I would agree. It ain't, other than the lack of non-league clubs and ties always being decided on the day. It obviously doubles the chances of a trophy, but generally speaking the crowds are getting worse and worse. If things in Scotland are to be freshened up, I do believe one cup going forward should be considered, though that would undoubtedly lessen the chances of anyone outside the Old Firm winning any of them. Does that really make a difference though, considering 20 of the last 24 cup winners in Scotland have been Rangers or Celtic?! :suicide:

Actually to add to my point further, the Scottish Cup in 98, when Hearts beat Rangers, was the last cup final where an Old Firm team lost to anyone other than the other side of the Old Firm. The 4 winners since then have all involved Rangers and Celtic being put out at an earlier stage. f**king depressing stuff...

Actually to add to my point further, the Scottish Cup in 98, when Hearts beat Rangers, was the last cup final where an Old Firm team lost to anyone other than the other side of the Old Firm. The 4 winners since then have all involved Rangers and Celtic being put out at an earlier stage. f**king depressing stuff...

Good point Foster, another cup final and another OF game regardless of how you look at it the rest of us are miles behind. I don't want to get depressed but it is becoming very boring. I know if we had won on Sat I would be elated but I for one cannot see it changing any time soon

I might be bonkers but could the league cup be changed to only allow entry to all the league clubs who do not qualify for entry to Europe that season. Combined with a schedule to finish in december this might see more interest as suddenly all the teams have a much better chance of winning and we wouldn't see the OF in the final every year.

Basically I suppose I'm suggesting we recognise its a devalued tournament and actually make that its "strong" point - a bit like having a cup and a shield in rugby sevens. So the league cup provides the teams outside the OF something to play for and uses the european dates to play the games.

It might even allow a hibs, hearts or aberdeen to develop a winning mentality that could make them stronger in other competitions...

Am I losing it?

Might want to scrap the challenge cup at this point too....

I think it has been looked at before but I would like to see both the English and Scottish FA's trying to merge the League Cups with one European Slot available to winner (not sure if that is possible or not), but at least it might be a bit of a nicer change playing different teams for once. It's not like the country is any bigger than any other European countries. Even if it was merged at a Quarter Final point. Spice things up a bit.