Aberdeenshire Shield

Changed days at AFC. I remember going to the Aberdeenshire Cup games with Peterhead over the years and the Aberdeen teams were a bunch of kids you'd never heard of (with maybe one or two guys coming back from injury you had).

These days the kids are a large part of the first squad so now 10 of the Aberdeen squad for the cup are names I know.

Not saying that's a bad thing mind. It's good that we're actually using our youth system these days.

The quest for some kind of trophy continues...

Keith 1 Aberdeen 4

Smith pen 19; Megginson pen 13, 52, Megennis 36, 58

Team: Howard, Grimmer, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Jarvis, Pawlett, Brown, Paton, Robertson, Magennis, Megginson

Subs: Bain, McManus, Hansson, Gibson, Fraser

Buckie or Huntly away in the quarter finals.

Megginson second goal was apparently scored by Anderson 52mins.

Pawlett missed a pen 86.

From what Ive heard they were lucky to only have 2 sent off, The Broch have a shocking disciplinary record in the HFL this season.

I was at the game too, I didn't think the first one was a sending off, but I was quite far from it. the 2nd had to go, keeper stopped a goal scoring opportunity then the sub keeper saved the penalty.

at 2-0 the broch had their only real spell in the match and they were denied a blatant penalty, the peterheed defender raised his hand in the air and then jumped to block a cross, the ball hit his arm and the ref played on. It might or might not have changed the match but I would have had doubts,. Peterheed are well above the broch in terms of fitness and skill, they passed the broch off the park at times.

Has grimmer been converted to a full back nowadays? Seen another u19 line up and he was next too the goalkeeper there too hence the question.

He was at RB vs Celtic U19s last week.

He looked good, despite a 3-0 defeat.

Not entirely sure of the logic but I think he might be getting experience in a few other positions to improve his all round play/understanding and to make him a little more versatile when the first team come calling. I'd guess, anyway.

• 1 month later...

Another semi to look forward to :applause:

Aberdeen booked their place in the semi final of the Morrison Motors Turriff Aberedeenshire Shield, making it a Toonser derby match with Turriff awaiting the winner in the final.

The Dons were the first to threaten with Gilli Sorenson nipping inside from the left wing, going past two men on his way across the edge of the 18 yard box before drilling a low shot towards the bottom corner but Neil Hastie got down to make the save.

From a similar position Nicky Low stepped in to crack a shot off the crossbar and then a counter attack saw the Dons pass up the fantastic chance to open the scoring. A three on two counter attack from a corner saw Ryan Fraser play in Jordon Brown but he slipped allowing Mark Gray to close him down. A quick spin still saw Brown drill a low cross across the face of goal which was somehow fired over the bar by Callum McRobbie who was barely a yard out.

Huntly's first effort of note came in the 29th minute when Grant Campbell played a ball into Michael McGinlay. He controlled the ball and quickly turned to strike a shot from 10 yards that Scott Bain parried.

Six minutes later Huntly were screaming for a penalty. Russell Guild played an incisive pass in behind the right back sending Michael McGinlay charging into the box. Before he could set himself to shoot Jack Grimmer tripped the striker a yard or two inside the box but surprisingly the decision was a free kick on the edge of the area. Grimmer, who could well have seen red was booked and Neil Reid followed him into the book for dissent.

The Dons wasted another good chance when Mark Gray was dispossessed by Gilli Sorenson and Jordon Brown had a chance to run in on goals, but Neil Hastie made a fine block with his feed.

Just as it looked likely to finish level at the break Aberdeen grabbed the lead. A long throw in from Gilli Sorenson was volleyed home by Jordon Brown from 6 yards, the number eight timing his run perfectly.

Huntly looked unlikely to come back and a Grant Campbell shot from 30 yards which caused Scott Bain a slight worry but on the whole it was the Dons who carried the main threat. Callum McRobbie cut in from the right, drove into the box before firing just over.

Then with 20 minutes to go Neil Hastie failed to connect with a clearance which Hallur Hansson hit goalwards. Jordon Brown controlled the shot, turned and improved on the initial effort but Neil Hastie helped it around the post.

Aberdeen did grab a second in the dying stages.with probably their best move of the game. Some fine passes lead to the ball going winde to Stephen O'Neill, his cross worked his way across the box before being laid into the path of Lewis Davidson and he took it back onto his left foot before curling it into the postage stamp corner of the net.

http://www.ngrfoundation.co.uk/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24912&Itemid=1