A Couple Of Questions For All Dons Fans

Ok banter aside on other threads from myself and others, antagonism towards RU and Red Army 12 on both sides...........

1. How many Dons fans on here can say they are happy with the atmosphere at Pittodrie for most games?

2. What would you say is the best way of improving this?

3. Do you think the club could do more to help improve this?

4. Do you feel Chris Gavin does enough as fan rep on the board?

5. Do you think the fan rep should be voted in/out every couple of years to help keep things fresh and to prevent him/her from becoming to close to the board and isolated from the support?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok banter aside on other threads from myself and others, antagonism towards RU and Red Army 12 on both sides...........

1. How many Dons fans on here can say they are happy with the atmosphere at Pittodrie for most games?

5. Do you think the fan rep should be voted in/out every couple of years to help keep things fresh and to prevent him/her from becoming to close to the board and isolated from the support?

No i hate it, home and away is a shadow of what i remember from my youth - its disgusting how bad our support has become, but for that i blame poor performances and too high ticket costs, plus so many games on tv has all had an effect.

There is no way to improve it, if the team play well the fans get behind them, if we see some fight then the atmosphere will come itself. In my opinion the rot is too far gone to reverse, unless the team really start performing things wont change.

If they had listened to fans reps 5 or 6 years ago then yes, but scrapping any link with the supporters and players no longer attending supporters clubs nights out has left a big void between club and fans

What does he actually do?

I dont think there should be a fans rep! Think it should go back to the AOASC and do away with all the in-fighting.

1. How many Dons fans on here can say they are happy with the atmosphere at Pittodrie for most games? I'm sure none of us are, but there are many reasons for it being so poor, from the dreadful football, to the ever smaller away supports that come up.

2. What would you say is the best way of improving this? I definitely agree with the idea of a standing area.

3. Do you think the club could do more to help improve this? I do not know what has taken place between the club and supporters groups to comment on this.

4. Do you feel Chris Gavin does enough as fan rep on the board? I have no idea what he does, he doesn't represent me. For all I know he does a good job, I just haven't seen any evidence of it.

5. Do you think the fan rep should be voted in/out every couple of years to help keep things fresh and to prevent him/her from becoming to close to the board and isolated from the support? I think this would make sense, yes.

Not me

Removal of numbered seating - sitting next to same faces week in week out only numbs atmosphere.

Yes

No

He certainly doesn't represent me and i certainly never had any say on the appointment despite being shareholder, season ticket holder and part of supporters club.

1. I don't get the chance to attend that often but the atmosphere is really poor when i do go.

2. It would take a number of things:

Better results

Improved attendance

A real feeling of leadership to come from the top of the club, we don't have this at all.

WM doing more to work with the fans instead of sitting in his bunker waiting for the next firefight when the fans are unhappy.

Perhaps, taking what i've heard from a few people on here a better attitude from certain club officials but certainly a better attitude from the club i general towards the fans.

Standing section definately.

"Singing" section? not convinced really.

3. Certainly, see above

4. Not sure how much he achieves to be honest.

5. Yes great idea. I've felt this before and in fact I did suggest it as part of an idea about club "membership" for all afc fans, which I think if done right could make a huge difference to make fans feel part of whats happening at the club again. All members could have a vote for the fans rep on the board.

1. I'm not happy with it, its a morgue nowadays, fans are not what they used to be for some reason.

2. safe standing areas and less designated seating( that will be tough with ST holders though)

3. they don;t give a sh*te, pay your money sit down a STFU is the way they see it.

4. WHO?? ;)

5. what good does a fans rep really do any way?

One thing i would suggest is more interaction between supporters groups, would rather see 5 supporters groups with 5 full busses running rather then 10 supporters groups with hardly anyone going, need a stronger bond between fans.

Maybe like an Association of Aberdeen Supporters Clubs?

In my opinion the atmosphere is generally pish at pittodrie.

The odd game against the huns being the exception.

Better performances would be a great place to start but I think there are other reasons that the whole experience has become so sterile over the years.

When you go in you are told to sit here, eat your pie, don't offend anyone then clap politely wether your team wins or loses.

To start to address this, I would keep all the children in the family stand.

Keep the rest of the stadium for adults.

The stewards also need to chill the f**k out and let you stand so long as you aren't blocking anyones view. (less likely to be a problem without five year old kids sitting behind you munching on sweeties)

Start selling beer in the 'adult stands'

I would quite happily drink warm beer out of a paper cup. Especially if the alternative is pish coffee out of the same cup. They allow alcohol in sports stadiums all over the world. Why can spl fans not be trusted? (I just don't accept the old firm arguments, people get hammered before and after games at the moment anyway, a pint at half time is not going to see SPL stadiums descend into gladitorial arenas)

Yes, see answers to q. 2

I have no idea what Chris Gavin does.

Yes, that sounds a reasonable idea.

No it's sh*t.

I think the away support is absolutely terrible as well, a shadow of it's former self.

Standing areas. Beer in the gorund.

Um, yea.

WHHHOOOO???

YEP.

Right then, i'm more than pleased with the answers so far, it gives me hope that there are many fans out there who feel the same way as i do.

I just need some guidance and help to achieve this, or for anyone who's willing to take on the fight?

We've got to do something soon, all of us stopping the silly bickering and infighting is the only way we can achieve this.

So i'd also love to hear how best to go about this, help me :thumbup1:

1. its ok, no different from many clubs in the Uk

2. win more games

3. see answer 3

4. no idea

5. no

Atmosphere at Pittodrie is shocking nowadays. Was good to see the small pocket of supporters beside the fence singing for most the game.

The performances on the pitch have got to improve to give fans something to sing about. I like the upper RDS been closed too. Means the fans are closer to each other. Used to be a good bit of singing at the top of the RDS but it wasn't really heard from the lower stands. Would be good if these guys were to join in on the South stand singers and get a bit of a sing song going.

Aberdeen need to look at the ticket prices.

• Site Sponsor

1. How many Dons fans on here can say they are happy with the atmosphere at Pittodrie for most games? Not many

2. What would you say is the best way of improving this? Get more people to go to the game

3. Do you think the club could do more to help improve this?Get more people to go to the game

4. Do you feel Chris Gavin does enough as fan rep on the board? Don't give a sh*t

5. Do you think the fan rep should be voted in/out every couple of years to help keep things fresh and to prevent him/her from becoming to close to the board and isolated from the support? Don't give a sh*t

1. How many Dons fans on here can say they are happy with the atmosphere at Pittodrie for most games? Get more people to attend games - there are many ways to achieve this but the best one is to win more games.

2. What would you say is the best way of improving this? Get more people to attend games - there are many ways to achieve this but the best one is to win more games.

3. Do you think the club could do more to help improve this? Not a lot more really - dropping ticket prices will get a few more in, but bottom line is winning more games - best the club can do is continue to back the manager financially which they seem to be a bit more willing to do with CB thankfully

4. Do you feel Chris Gavin does enough as fan rep on the board? Fans rep - waste of space. how does a fans rep work? firstly there are wildly contrasting views amongst fans, and secondly how does this person capture these views? i've never heard of any surveys or meetings or consultations?

5. Do you think the fan rep should be voted in/out every couple of years to help keep things fresh and to prevent him/her from becoming to close to the board and isolated from the support? - As above - pointless IMO

I'm not, but like I've just said on Aberdeen-Mad, most people will reply to this saying "I want to improve the atmosphere" but we all have different opinions on what we'd like to see.

The Red Ultras are an example of one idea, and they had their way of doing things. However you can disagree with everything the Ultras did and still want Pittodrie to have a better atmosphere.

Basically, look at everyone's answer to this, and try and incorporate as many as you can.

Personally, I don't see how there has to be one singing section, because if it's say in the South Stand, you exclude all those who don't want to sit there.

I'd suggest a specific part of the RDS upper deck that is a singing section, where people can specifically ask for tickets for. A part in the South stand too for those who prefer there. We wouldn't be the first ground in the world to have more than one singing section.

People are talking about getting the Merkland, but I don't see it being anywhere near full every week. However, for games v the Old Firm, when the amount of kids sitting there decreases, and usually the numbers of people going to Pittodrie increase - especially those who are up for it and want to create an atmosphere - it could be made a singing section, especially with those in the south stand middle section needing to move somewhere anyway.

I'd also suggest if people are coming up with new chants (and we certainly do need to work harder at that) then the club could help out by playing the tune over the tannoy after goals, much like Celtic and the Depeche Mode song, which has grown from a Green Brigade song to a Celtic song.

I'd also suggest the club should try a few things prior to kick off. For example, the German way of announcing the teams, when they say the first name, and get the fans to shout the second name. Little things like that.

I think in fairness, you have to remember the club are not generally setting different rules from any other club.

If they don't allow certain banners or smokebombs in, you usually find not every other club is either.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this of course, but I don't think Aberdeen are trying any less than most SPL clubs in reality. Only Hearts, the Old Firm, and maybe Dundee United, bother their arse really.

They could come up with initiatives though. Playing certain songs over the tannoy to get the crowd going, the team's announcements, etc.

No.

Yes, definately.

In fact, I think a commitee should be voted in, with the chairman of that commitee being the nominated board member.

1. Not really but then at the same time it doesn't get me as much as before. The general drop in attendance and all round enjoyment factor of an Aberdeen game at Pittodrie is the bigger issue to me (though I guess in turn, these things improving brings back the atmosphere).

2. Improvement on the pitch, results and performances. Better football too. Doing something to not have 7-8,000 spread right across a 21,000 seater stadium every other game. Not easy with season ticket holders though.

3. Dropping ticket prices might get more people through the door, but it doesn't bring back the enjoyment factor and it is unlikely to make any difference to the product on the pitch. I think the club as a whole has to focus improving to a position where we actually compete within Scotland again.

4. I said before when there were discussions about Gavin before, how is he representing me? Do I have to go join a supporters club just to get information filtered down to me? A fans representative should be regularly communicating and listening to all fans of the club and without any medium allowing this to happen, I think he can only be largely ineffective. All you have to do is look at the responses in this thread to see that.

5. I don't think we should have one fan representative. I think we should have more open and transparent management by those at the top of the club so that people are kept in the loop. They should be willing to put themselves under fan scrutiny on a more regular basis than they currently do.

1. How many Dons fans on here can say they are happy with the atmosphere at Pittodrie for most games? The atmosphere is sh*te....

2. What would you say is the best way of improving this? Get the RU back!

3. Do you think the club could do more to help improve this? Standing at grounds - allowing people to sit where they want

4. Do you feel Chris Gavin does enough as fan rep on the board? No idea

5. Do you think the fan rep should be voted in/out every couple of years to help keep things fresh and to prevent him/her from becoming to close to the board and isolated from the support? Nope. I doubt he would become isolated from the support, given he / she would presumably be one. Also, there comes a point when he knows what battles to fight and which ones not to - going 'native' is inevitable.....its a thankless job anyhows.

no its sh*t

Down to the team basically, The team's attitude has a direct effect on the support, they play sh*te, then the fans will respond like wise.

Hand out guns at the turnstyles

Complete waste of time, what has he done since he was appointed, nothing

Good idea,

Have to laugh at the people asking who Chris Gavin is.

Does he regularly hold meetings to which anyone can attend? Yes

Last count at meeting? 15 people

Does he make himself open for discussion on a weekly basis? Yes, sells the Red Final and is always open for a chat anytime.

Any questioned I've emailed, he almost instantly replied with a dignified answer.

Come along to a meeting and tell Chris what you feel he can do to improve his role, no use moaning about it on here.

My answers.

1. No, pittodrie has even less atmosphere than the moon.

2. The powers that be need to give SERIOUS encouragement to the home fans, ie playing of traditional aberdeen songs such as The Northern Lights,etc. Also getting the stewards to lighten the hell up and stop acting like power drunk little hitlers would be a good start. I go down to Anfield to see Liverpool quite a lot, the way they treat their own and entertain the fans pre game is centuries ahead of how it is at todders.

3. We need a far more consistent team and league position. Constantly yo-yo-ing up and down the table is no use. In order to improve crowds, we must aspire to be the best in Scotland, top 3 or 4 is the bare fckn minimum.

4. Chris Gavin might as well be deaf, blind, dumb, a quadruple amputee, and invisible for all the effect he has on the AFC board. For all you folk out there wondering just how this guy got to be the fans' rep, well he was the editor of The Northern Light and the original editor of The Red Final (known as Old Beach Ender), whereupon he got the call fae Wiggy to become the fan's rep on the board. Was pretty hot sh*t back in the day (1995ish) but looking back on things, seems like a patronizing token appointment to appease the fans and con them into thinking they have some input into the running of AFC.

5. To be honest, Chris Gavin needs to GTF off the board as it's clear he has no impact or say in how things are run at AFC. The supporters clubs then need to come up with someone else to represent the fans, maybe elect someone every couple o years.

Can't remember last time we had any atmosphere at all outside Old Firm games in the past 3 years. Any atmosphere we get is a negative one at 1-0 down chasing games.

Honest? I'd say world peace their is too much infighting between us, some want to sing others sit on the fence and others are just not into it, unless we get a hardcore of 500-1000 guys in a singing section your going to get no atmosphere, I seriously think the club should trial it sooner rather than later.

Yes very little corespondance between the club and fans on matchday experiences and the like, maybe an end of season questionare along with the season ticket renewal they are so desperate for you too send back, maybe people not wanting or unsure of going back can at least tell the club what they are doing wrong.

Without critising the guy too much. Who does he represent is it the supporters clubs or can any general fan email him? How long has the guy been on this job and nothings ever changed, if anything the atmosphere has decreased and fans are feeling victimised, I know that Gavin holds a meeting every year for supporters clubs reps to attend but I know a lot of them don't speak volumes for all the fans. Would be handy if there was an AGM style meeting for fans to air their views.

Definatley, I could be speaking absolute pish but it seems to me Gavin never critises the events at Pittodrie, never even speaks to the press about them. Was he just installed on the board as a sort of appeasement/shield for Wiggy much like Miller?

1. How many Dons fans on here can say they are happy with the atmosphere at Pittodrie for most games? - Not happy at all, too many people sitting doing nothing in terms of encouraging the team. Ticket prices are too high and i have seen in other countries where u-16's are allowed in for free a great youth support being gathered for the future

2. What would you say is the best way of improving this? - Don't be so negative and don't be shy about having a good time even though the game may be (or is) dire. Don't boo the team or shout down individual players, this undermines confidence and will only make the situation worse.

Standing sections encourages people to sing and i would like to see this at Pittodrie

3. Do you think the club could do more to help improve this? - Yes - allow free seating i.e not tying people to the seat number and being more open to creative ideas that have been put to them in the past and ideas currently being discussed.

AFC could be a leader in seeking approval to re-introduce standing areas at grounds, these areas have been shown to be safe to have (various stadia in germany for example)

4. Do you feel Chris Gavin does enough as fan rep on the board? - No not in the slightest, i am not aware of any issues that he has taken on head first and made AFC fans experience any better in his time as fans rep on the board. In my opinion a very passionate and previously vocal dons fan has been silenced by the board by taking him on the 'inside'.

The position should be filled by someone on a merit basis and based on his performance in the post.

Chris Gavin has not demonstrated any reason to keep himself in his position other than being a 'nice chap'

Yes - the fans rep should have a regular column in the matchday programme and local media detailing current and ongoing issues and what is getting done and why things are not getting done in respect to fans issues.

The club need to realise that the fans are paying customers and need to be treated with respect and their wishes and queries looked into with transparency and honesty - something that they have not done in the past.

The better the matchday experience the bigger the crowds, the decaying attendance figures show that AFC as a club are failing miserably in their 'product' and something needs to be done to freshen things up

Does he make himself open for discussion on a weekly basis? Yes, sells the Red Final and is always open for a chat anytime.

Any questioned I've emailed, he almost instantly replied with a dignified answer.

Come along to a meeting and tell Chris what you feel he can do to improve his role, no use moaning about it on here.

Never seen any of these meetings advertised for fans. Redweb?

How is any of this communicated to anyone? You have to laugh, because we have a fan representative that holds meetings and is open for a chat at anytime, yet no-one knows about it?

Pass,don't use Redweb.

The club emails me the dates of the meetings.

Next one is pre Kilmarnock at 11am in the Richard Donald.

This is the 3rd one of the season.

In what capacity are you invited to these meetings? Is it for those who run supporters clubs? Clearly isn't being made public.

Has anything every come from these meetings?

If so how is this communicated?

Certainly nothing going out to average fan at any stage!!

How is any of this communicated to anyone? You have to laugh, because we have a fan representative that holds meetings and is open for a chat at anytime, yet no-one knows about it?

Beg to differ, plenty of people are made aware of these meetings. Their choice if they don't take up the offer.

What is it you would suggest to Chris he does differently?

In what capacity are you invited to these meetings? Is it for those who run supporters clubs? Clearly isn't being made public.

Has anything every come from these meetings?

If so how is this communicated?

Certainly nothing going out to average fan at any stage!!

Plenty has come, more recently it was us who voted for the top tier of the DD to be closed at smaller cup matches.

Making it more public to fans is a fair shout, something I'd be quite willing to suggest.