Free Tickets For Schools

Few threads about the atmosphere and how it can be improved but not one about the attendances yet, think its shocking how empty the family stand is for most games.

I know i started going to games because of the above, The guys i started going to the games with in my early teens were mates at school and didnt have much interest in football until they came along to pittodrie, theres no chance in hell would they have went if the first few tickets hadnt been freebies

Dont think enough is being dont to encourage youngstars back to the game.

Think free tickets should be started up again and get the merkland stand back to at least half full, if the seats are going to be sitting empty anyways then i dont see the point in not doing it, club with probably start earning a lot more from the pie stands.

Would certainly be nice to see the club making some effort to ensure the future of our support.

I emailed the club regarding this after the Aberdeen Rangers game, when I had that massive rant (will obviously be gone now as this site broke down) - this was one of the things I politely raised, needless to say I never got a response.

I'd also like to add, I put forward a good few ideas to the club....why I expected a reply, I'll never know.

Other point I raised, break away from Just Sport or whoever it was and get Aberdeen marketed as a brand again, i.e. have strips sold in shops in town OR have an AFC Club shop IN TOWN for all to see, rather than hidden away on a street where not many people wander down.

A good idea, hate the fact you can walk about the city centre shops and see nothing at all with Aberdeen fc in it, same with posters or flyers advertising our next home game or when tickets are on sale for other upcoming games.

As someone said before on Aberdeen Mad you'd struggle to know if the city even had a Senior football side at times.

There is a supporters meeting, clubs/club, a week on Saturday. Not sure if your a member of a club Stoney but it may be worth asking your rep to bring it up. I personally think its a great idea but there must be some reason why the club don't do it of their own back?

According to the club their is also more of a % of season ticket holders in the Merkland than anywhere else, perhaps because the tickets have got so cheap for that section people don't care if they miss a few games?

If the club did take up your proposal I hope it wouldn't be followed up by a clause, like you have to go with your dad or something, who has to pay full price to sit with a bunch of kids and so forth.

A good idea, hate the fact you can walk about the city centre shops and see nothing at all with Aberdeen fc in it, same with posters or flyers advertising our next home game or when tickets are on sale for other upcoming games.

As someone said before on Aberdeen Mad you'd struggle to know if the city even had a Senior football side at times.

Spot on, its almost as if the club has the attitude of "we're Aberdeen, why should we sell ourselves to the public"....

I am sure there are many lapsed supporters who if you were in their face so to speak would probably take a trip along, certainly now that the team is improving, I am fairly sure the club used to phone lapsed season ticket holders to ask why they weren't going, no cant has ever phoned me or anyone I know for years, think my old man got a call about a decade ago.

I emailed the club regarding this after the Aberdeen Rangers game, when I had that massive rant (will obviously be gone now as this site broke down) - this was one of the things I politely raised, needless to say I never got a response.

I'd also like to add, I put forward a good few ideas to the club....why I expected a reply, I'll never know.

Other point I raised, break away from Just Sport or whoever it was and get Aberdeen marketed as a brand again, i.e. have strips sold in shops in town OR have an AFC Club shop IN TOWN for all to see, rather than hidden away on a street where not many people wander down.

Aye i remember reading that, was a quality email, shocked you didnt get a reply, mind you not that shocked as the club dont appear to give a f**k about anything supporter related anymore.

Its f**king murder, it makes no sense to have your product sold from one place, see less and less aberdeen tops in town all the time nowadays

There is a supporters meeting, clubs/club, a week on Saturday. Not sure if your a member of a club Stoney but it may be worth asking your rep to bring it up. I personally think its a great idea but there must be some reason why the club don't do it of their own back?

According to the club their is also more of a % of season ticket holders in the Merkland than anywhere else, perhaps because the tickets have got so cheap for that section people don't care if they miss a few games?

If the club did take up your proposal I hope it wouldn't be followed up by a clause, like you have to go with your dad or something, who has to pay full price to sit with a bunch of kids and so forth.

still a member of the granite city, we are struggling badly - used to run a bus to every game without fail would be surprised if we have managed to raise the numbers for half the games this season, will be very surprised if the club is still going next season, old committee want to take a step back (which is fair enough given they have been doing it for as long as i remember) but nobody interested in taking it on.

It was like that in my day - my dad had to come along with me, actually went quite a lot with me after that until i was old enough to go on my own. Im sure if there was a class of 20 kids that a responsible adult could supervise them with the parents concent of course.

Really quite concerned about the lack of younger people attending games now, Its ok the club saying percentage of ST holders in the merkie is high, but attendance levels must be less than half.

Again im sounding like an old mannie but when i was a lad if you didnt go for your ticket on a monday to the merkland you didnt get in for the saturday game. Mind you thats back when it was

Club give something like 3 schools 20 odd tickets every game nowadays and claim every school in the city will get tickets at some point in season. Kids can be seen on Pittodrie Street trying to sell on comps each week. In days past the club would have sent players to the schools getting tickets and had them actively trying to hand out the tickets and get the kids interested which was a massive buzz for the kids when players turn up at the school. Most definitely should be doing this nowadays. Costs nothing and the players should be made to do community stuff anyway.

Agree, think it should be organised school trips, hassle for the one nominated but gets everyone behind their local football team. Just think in the current climate the little clauses puts people off going, to many parents can't be bothered going, depends on the age range the club aim it at as well I guess.

Shame about GC, there used to be a good core of buses that went every week or most weeks, same boys you seen everywhere.

I read somewhere there was close on 2.5million visitors to Union Sq over the festive period and couldn't believe that AFC were not represented there in some way, even just a kiosk or stall, selling tat. If half of those visitors spent even

Sadly, right now Aberdeen FC probably see this as way to lose more money (ie the dads such as myself that take their kids to the football & already pay for them) rather than a way to secure a new generation of dandies.

I'm fairly sure my Son who's 8 will be a life long supporter, it doesn't take much to instill passion for a football team, I believe Aberdeen are really missing the boat on this.

An idea similar to this was touted on Richard Gordon's BBC Radio Scotland show not that long ago. Free tickets to schools, no gimmicks just free tickets, sounds like they are doing a half-arsed job of it if kids can sell comps on to any passerby.

Really need to get something sorted out, the club is an absolute joke - not only do they do sweet FA to attract new folk to the games, they don't do anything to keep the few remaining fans on their side. They take everybody for granted.

Get a couple of players round a few schools every couple of weeks handing out the free tickets and doing competitions for signed balls and strips etc. As everybody has pointed out - they will spend money when at the ground on munch, scarfs, programmes etc. and Parents may also come down.

Sell season tickets to U16's for no more than

I e-mailed the club about two years ago now as I was looking for an end of season trip for my U13 squad to an SPL ground. I e-mailed all the clubs in the SPL and recieved replies from the Dons, Falkirk and St Johnstone (The nearest club to us).

Both St Johnstone and Falkirk were willing to give us free entry to the game, club souvenirs (just match programmes and some stickers etc) and could meet a few players. They also offered to send a club youth coach for some training sessions.

The response from Aberdeen was that we would have to pay full ticket price (although we would get 50% back). They wouldn't let us tour the stadium, meet any players and would offer no souvenirs for the kids.

Both St Johnstone and Falkirk were really keen to get the kids to the game, and I felt Aberdeen didn't really care.

I have not posted before as I have seen most threads degenerate into abusive rants. However, this thread seems to be much more considered with lots of positive suggestions being put forward. My suggestion for what it is worth is for the supporters to make a direct approach to Craig Brown with a list of the suggestions which have been raised. Mr Brown seems to be an extremely intelligent and reasonable fellow. If we got his support something might happen for a change.

Totally agree on this.

Was fuming yesterday as I heard the latest advert on the radio for DW Sports (or one of the nationals anyway), "get down to DW Sports today for your Rangers top at only

I have not posted before as I have seen most threads degenerate into abusive rants. However, this thread seems to be much more considered with lots of positive suggestions being put forward. My suggestion for what it is worth is for the supporters to make a direct approach to Craig Brown with a list of the suggestions which have been raised. Mr Brown seems to be an extremely intelligent and reasonable fellow. If we got his support something might happen for a change.

I agree, he does seem b ig on the supporters side of things.