The Scottish Parliament Election 2011 Thread

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Scottish Election?

• SNP
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Conservative
    • Scottish Green
    • SSP
    • Other

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elaborate

English Universities charge their students fees. Spend the money developing their campuses and attracting the best students and lecturers.

Scottish Universities do not charge students, do not raise this money, and are unable to invest in improving themselves.

I read somewhere that students earn on average £100k more with a degree over their lifetime, than those without a degree - why shouldn't they be expected to contribute?

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/do-graduates-earn-100000-more-than-non-graduates/3477

English Universities charge their students fees. Spend the money developing their campuses and attracting the best students and lecturers.

Scottish Universities do not charge students, do not raise this money, and are unable to invest in improving themselves.

I read somewhere that students earn on average

• Admin

The Scottish Funding Council, basically the government. I think I paid fees of approx £1500 per annum when I was a student, not sure what they do now, but I would assume a small proportion of the funding comes via this way.

And where does the government get the money from?

In Germany you've to pay student fees in some of the states, and in others you don't have to. In Hessen for example there are no university fees, but still their students find more and better jobs than the ones in North Rhine Westphalia, where you have to pay fees (according to the Federeal Bureau of Statistics).

The problem with the money generated from the fees is, that most Unis aren't allowed to - for example- buy books for the students with the money, but they have to build a new building- for example- even if it's not really necessary. Maybe the Universities in England aren't that restricted, but in Germany student fees normally don't really improve the Unis.

Of course the state has to give the universities money then, if there are no student fees. But to use my example again, NRW has much more debt than Hessen, the student fees don't make a big difference.

In Germany you've to pay student fees in some of the states, and in others you don't have to. In Hessen for example there are no university fees, but still their students find more and better jobs than the ones in North Rhine Westphalia, where you have to pay fees (according to the Federeal Bureau of Statistics).

The problem with the money generated from the fees is, that most Unis aren't allowed to - for example- buy books for the students with the money, but they have to build a new building- for example- even if it's not really necessary. Maybe the Universities in England aren't that restricted, but in Germany student fees normally don't really improve the Unis.

Of course the state has to give the universities money then, if there are no student fees. But to use my example again, NRW has much more debt than Hessen, the student fees don't make a big difference.

German Univesities are pretty poor, as are Universities in Europe generally.

so will the english Universities still get government funding plus the fee's? and we will be left with just the fee's?

I'd like to see the difference in figures to show how we will be left behind

Sorry, not sure of the figures off the top of my head.

The Scottish Universities thmeselves are not happy with the situation and recognise that a funding gap is inevitable, a quick google would confirm that.

so will the english Universities still get government funding plus the fee's? and we will be left with just the fee's?

I'd like to see the difference in figures to show how we will be left behind

Not entirely sure how it all works but I dont think the English uni's get additional assistance from the Westminster. They do however get the fees paid by Westminster and then the student pays back the government. The government then charge the student interest on the money they have paid out. Its a government bank lending our money out to kids and then charging them for it.

The government's new funding plans have fallen flat on their face today with no uni charging the minimum 6K, most charging over 7.5K and over 50% charging between 8.5-9K per student.

Sorry, not sure of the figures off the top of my head.

The Scottish Universities thmeselves are not happy with the situation and recognise that a funding gap is inevitable, a quick google would confirm that.

The Scottish uni's are looking for more money... A lot of them are run like businesses these days so they should look for other ways to get income. RGU manage to turn a profit year in year out. They do that by going abroad to take in students who have rich daddy's and they pay 30K instead of the 4K they get from the Exec. They also have business links all over the world giving them money to then employ their top students. Other uni's should do the same... saying that the government, in their pandering to the extremist element of the press and society have cut the visa numbers for students and foreign workers as of Monday so a way for uni's to raise cash has just been taken away from them. Government policies at the moment are just being made up as they go along, fighting fires by setting more.

Students shouldnt have to pay tuition fees IMO full stop. The way I look at it is.... I am paying for others to go to uni now(in a way through tax). I would like my kids (if I have any) to have the option to go to uni if they can, others can pay for that through their tax

Uni..................pffffft.

Holding pens for the unemployed.

Mostly a waste of time and getting worse.

Even students think so;

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/university-degrees-are-a-waste-of-time-ndash-the-damning-verdict-of-british-students-807002.html

Exams and degrees are now worth little.

Farmfoods will be selling them soon.

saturate any market and the value of the product soon drops.

• Admin

Not entirely sure how it all works but I dont think the English uni's get additional assistance from the Westminster. They do however get the fees paid by Westminster and then the student pays back the government. The government then charge the student interest on the money they have paid out. Its a government bank lending our money out to kids and then charging them for it.

The government's new funding plans have fallen flat on their face today with no uni charging the minimum 6K, most charging over 7.5K and over 50% charging between 8.5-9K per student.

The Scottish uni's are looking for more money... A lot of them are run like businesses these days so they should look for other ways to get income. RGU manage to turn a profit year in year out. They do that by going abroad to take in students who have rich daddy's and they pay 30K instead of the 4K they get from the Exec. They also have business links all over the world giving them money to then employ their top students. Other uni's should do the same... saying that the government, in their pandering to the extremist element of the press and society have cut the visa numbers for students and foreign workers as of Monday so a way for uni's to raise cash has just been taken away from them. Government policies at the moment are just being made up as they go along, fighting fires by setting more.

Students shouldnt have to pay tuition fees IMO full stop. The way I look at it is.... I am paying for others to go to uni now(in a way through tax). I would like my kids (if I have any) to have the option to go to uni if they can, others can pay for that through their tax

Ever seen RGU's union when the term is over and the normal students are away home on holiday?

There are heaps and heaps of Venezuelan and south american students learning oil and gas subjects, paid by the national oil companies to be sent over here. RGU gets a lot of money from those contracts.

Why not, as long as it is not taken up front and everybody is given an equal opportunity to go?

Otherwise you are redistributing money from the less intelligent towards the more intelligent, which hardly seems fair.

Why not, as long as it is not taken up front and everybody is given an equal opportunity to go?

Otherwise you are redistributing money from the less intelligent towards the more intelligent, which hardly seems fair.

Same could be said for a lot of where our tax money goes. Look at our oil revenue for starters. Our money is propping up the whole of the country... At least educating people assists the country as a whole. My parents didnt go to uni but paid for all my piers to go. I didnt go to uni but I'm paying for others kids to go. One day I may have kids and they may go to uni, others can pay for that.

Dont you find it slightly ironic that the people taking in these changes were in fact educated at your parents/grandparents expense yet they are making changes that mean your children will also have to pay...

Same could be said for a lot of where our tax money goes. Look at our oil revenue for starters. Our money is propping up the whole of the country... At least educating people assists the country as a whole. My parents didnt go to uni but paid for all my piers to go. I didnt go to uni but I'm paying for others kids to go. One day I may have kids and they may go to uni, others can pay for that.

Dont you find it slightly ironic that the people taking in these changes were in fact educated at your parents/grandparents expense yet they are making changes that mean your children will also have to pay...

No, because when 50% of people are attending University, as is now almost the case, the present system is unsustainable, which wasn't the case in my parents/grandparents day.

I don't care which of those corrupt NWO political outfits prevails in May. Little will change as long as we remain a part of the Evil Empire - aka the EU(SSR).

Do you get to come back to cast your vote?

Are you saying that the EU is a component part of the NWO? Whatever that is?

Are you suggesting that were we ( UK or Scotland? ) to remove ourselves from the EU, then our political parties would no longer be tagged with a NWO stigma?

I think to be honest you are taking our wee country Scotland's parliamentary election and frankly attaching too high a political level to it.

That is unless you link the release of Megrahi with the tide of revolution sweeping North Africa and the Middle East, currently very much focussed on Libya.

Do you get to come back to cast your vote?

Are you saying that the EU is a component part of the NWO? Whatever that is?

Are you suggesting that were we ( UK or Scotland? ) to remove ourselves from the EU, then our political parties would no longer be tagged with a NWO stigma?

I think to be honest you are taking our wee country Scotland's parliamentary election and frankly attaching too high a political level to it.

That is unless you link the release of Megrahi with the tide of revolution sweeping North Africa and the Middle East, currently very much focussed on Libya.

I'll address your questions in order, LB:

Firstly, I haven't looked into it. If I am, I won't use it. My only vote is one of no-confidence. I did vote at the UK Election a year ago (UKIP, surprise surprise! lol).

Secondly, given that the mainstream parties are all resolutely behind the EUSSR, I think it suffice to say that as long as they prevail, we will neither be removed from said Evil Empire, nor will the stigma be removed.

Thirdly, I am aware of our place in the world, which is why my apathy prevails in this Election. There are no candidates whom I deem worthy of oxygen, far less a vote. I was in favour of Devolution, but think further decentralisation (including an Assembly for the North of England) is needed, along with a PR system across the whole of the UK to replace the antiquated (and, quite frankly, undemocratic) one we have now.

Lastly, our image in Libya was probably helped by the release of a man whose conviction was dubious at best (although for the record, I am not convinced of his guilt OR innocence), but no doubt damaged somewhat in the rest of the world by our constant kow-towing to the US war machine and the Israel lobby. I see nothing in Salmond's mob, Lie-bour or the Lie-berals to convince me this will change.

• 1 month later...

Cue arguements in this thread today.

I've not voted.

Waste of time.

I don't care if I don't have a say, arguing over politics and saying 'why X person should have got in' and 'why Z person should have got in' - it doesn't appeal to me, because it's just lies to get your vote.

That is just my personal opinion, it doesn't matter who gets in, the country will be f**ked anyways.

I don't even try and understand politics, if I wanted too, I'd have stuck in at Modern Studies when at school. I read some flyers given to me, but end up tearing them up after a quick read, it's all bullshit to me.

I'd be interested to hear how many people voted back in 1990's to how many people are to vote today.....see if the percentage is down or not.

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

your fishing skills are slipping Roberto

I'd be interested to hear how many people voted back in 1990's to how many people are to vote today.....see if the percentage is down or not.

Biggest ever turnout in this country for a (general) election was in 1992. (based on votes cast).