Norway

RAZOR

Beer is very expensive 90 NOK a pint at Bergen Airport which is about a tenner at todays exchange rate, bars a bit cheaper but not much.

Stay away from local beers they taste crap and give you the mother of sair heeds in the morning.

Food is pricey too will cost you about 8 or 9 quid for a burger or hot dog and chips bit cheaper for a slice of pizza the locals tend to live on those 3 things which can be bought at any garage or newsagents.

Not sure about the self employed thing I'm employed by a company there and pay a lot of tax.

Where are you going in Norway ?

the boy BryanEBergen lives there, he'll probably pop in tomorrow and give you the low down.

Heard its affa expensive though for beer. 8 quid a pint isnt too much of an exageration.

If he stops the Dundeh accent then maybe :laughing:

Beer is very expensive 90 NOK a pint at Bergen Airport which is about a tenner at todays exchange rate, bars a bit cheaper but not much.

Stay away from local beers they taste crap and give you the mother of sair heeds in the morning.

Food is pricey too will cost you about 8 or 9 quid for a burger or hot dog and chips bit cheaper for a slice of pizza the locals tend to live on those 3 things which can be bought at any garage or newsagents.

Not sure about the self employed thing I'm employed by a company there and pay a lot of tax.

Where are you going in Norway ?

http://www.miklagardgolf.no/

Just north of Oslo like. The accomodation their giving me is cheap but apparently really nice.

The name is byen ffs :angry:

Right, here's the lowdown in dundonian.

Going tae the pub - forget it. In Bergen it costs atween 5 and 10 quid for a 500ml depending on where ye go. Hansa (the Bergen beer) is good, but Ringnes (the rest of the country's beer) is pish. Anything other than beer can only be bought in the govt shop at crazy prices. A bottle of whisky will set ye back 40 quid. Ye also canna buy booze after 3 on a setirday as the shop shuts then.

Food is expensive but the quality is way better than in the uk, especially fish. The selection is poor tho.

Clothes, electrical stuff etc is all much the same price as the uk.

This thing wi us being taxed heavily ower here is a myth. Eh pay 36% on all but the first 7k or so. But, ye only pay half-tax in december and ye get 11.5% of last years salary tax-free in june. That and being able to claim all sorts on yer tax return means eh personally pay less than in the uk.

The people are a mix. The men are by and large big-heided chunts, and the women are stunning.

All in all its a great place, but meh main bit of advice would be to play on being scottish, it does wonders.

The name is byen ffs :angry:

Right, here's the lowdown in dundonian.

Going tae the pub - forget it. In Bergen it costs atween 5 and 10 quid for a 500ml depending on where ye go. Hansa (the Bergen beer) is good, but Ringnes (the rest of the country's beer) is pish. Anything other than beer can only be bought in the govt shop at crazy prices. A bottle of whisky will set ye back 40 quid. Ye also canna buy booze after 3 on a setirday as the shop shuts then.

Food is expensive but the quality is way better than in the uk, especially fish. The selection is poor tho.

This thing wi us being taxed heavily ower here is a myth. Eh pay 36% on all but the first 7k or so. But, ye only pay half-tax in december and ye get 11.5% of last years salary tax-free in june. That and being able to claim all sorts on yer tax return means eh personally pay less than in the uk.

The people are a mix. The men are by and large big-heided chunts, and the women are stunning.

All in all its a great place, but meh main bit of advice would be to play on being scottish, it does wonders.

Cheers for that dude.

Another question. Internet, will i have acess to iplayer stv player etc?

Also, if i bought a digital radio would i catch BBC radio from over here?

Cheers for that dude.

Ye can probably get iplayer tae work if ye fiddle about wi yer ip settings, but otherwise no. Nae chance on the radio.

Eh have a 1m sky dish here, but ower where you are going tae move ye'll need at least a 1.5m dish.

Oh and norwegian tv is utter pish.

Cheers for that dude.

Nope, nope and no.

go to hidemyass, get a VPN for 6 months for $50. Download their software and then log into one of their UK servers. You can then get IPlayer, STV player etc and all the BBC radio stations online. That or keep your UK address and take your Sky set up with you (dish, box cables etc), thats what I did for my European excursions.

Ye can probably get iplayer tae work if ye fiddle about wi yer ip settings, but otherwise no. Nae chance on the radio.

Eh have a 1m sky dish here, but ower where you are going tae move ye'll need at least a 1.5m dish.

Oh and norwegian tv is utter pish.

I have been told my accomodation will have SKY and wireless available like. Gonna need to purchase an ipod then it looks like.

Plan is to stay dry for a few months,work all the overtime under the sun so im minted for winter time.

Do you like it?

I have been told my accomodation will have SKY and wireless available like. Gonna need to purchase an ipod then it looks like.

Plan is to stay dry for a few months,work all the overtime under the sun so im winter for winter time.

Do you like it?

Yep its home, simple as that. We've bairns and they are proper norwegians. It helped a bit for me in that mrs byen is a local.

Eh do stock up on various things when in scotland, but on balance this is a better place, for meh family anyway.

Learning some of the lingo will help endear ye tae the natives. Eh'm fluent, which took about a year. Abody speaks english, but norwegian isnae that difficult tae pick up.

Yep its home, simple as that. We've bairns and they are proper norwegians. It helped a bit for me in that mrs byen is a local.

Eh do stock up on various things when in scotland, but on balance this is a better place, for meh family anyway.

Learning some of the lingo will help endear ye tae the natives. Eh'm fluent, which took about a year. Abody speaks english, but norwegian isnae that difficult tae pick up.

Thanks, yeah alot of good info there. Will keep that all in mind.

Ill keep you updated.

cheers

Norweigen burds love Scots btw! We even had birds come through from Sweden just cos there were Scots in town. Apparently loved us cos Norge guys are miserable c**ts, fit ih burds said onyway...

Aye, Norwegian guys have a bad rep, and it's often deserved.

Norwegian burds ken whit they want and how they are gonna get it, they are extremely headstrong. Guess that's the price ye pay for them being gorgeous.

While in Bergen last week found a sports bar just up from Raddison Blu that was 49 - NOK was 0.4ltr

During my time in Norway that is probably the cheapest I have came across, beats the 99 - NOK at Stavanger airport

Razor, just be glad your not going to west Norway, as it generally pisses rain all the time during the winter months.

You can buy beers and cider until 6pm in the Supermarket on a Saturday in Oslo. It's just wine and spirits you can't buy after 3 when the shop closes. Ringnes is decent enough, but there is usually plenty of choices in the pubs. You do get Guinness, Strongbow, etc but you pay 8quid at least for a pint.

I wouldn't say the selection of food is much different between Oslo and Aberdeen; it's all a muchness. The prices are a lot higher in Oslo though. You tend to eat out a lot less than you would in Aberdeen. You can find reasonable deals in the bigger supermarkets on food for cooking at home, although British food is marked up highly.

I agree on Electrical stuff that the prices are similar, but branded clothes are much more expensive. For example a pair of Nike Air Max here is around 120quid.

This is based upon you having loans on property and vehicles in Norway. Before any deductions I pay around 43% tax.

The "tax free" payment is based upon you paying tax on 100% of your salary in the current year, but only paid 88% of it in that year. You are paid the remaining 12% the following summer as your vacation pay.

It's a different culture to the UK; there is no emphasis on manners or work ethos in Norway. Norwegians tend to be private people who have no interest or awareness of other people. But the women are hot!

I wouldn't bother learning the language unless you need to. Most Norwegians enjoy speaking English and the TV and Cinema is mostly in English. Unless you need it for your job or you plan to stay long term I wouldn't bother. I can understand a fair bit of what I read (key words), and can speak in the supermarket but that is all.

Just do yer shoppin in Rema1000 stores

Remember and buy your Saturday night beer on a Friday

Get others to take spirits or wine with them thru Duty Free

Make the effort to spik Nog as it gets you even further wi the burds

If in Bergen by a raincoat

If in Oslo buy sunglasses for some proper dodgy oaggling

If in Stavanger make sure to head to the beaches in summer

If in Trondheim buy a thick coat and a hat

Keep an eye on the tax folk, they are basts

Wear your Adeen top with pride

Just do yer shoppin in Rema1000 stores

Remember and buy your Saturday night beer on a Friday

Get others to take spirits or wine with them thru Duty Free

Make the effort to spik Nog as it gets you even further wi the burds

If in Bergen by a raincoat

If in Oslo buy sunglasses for some proper dodgy oaggling

If in Stavanger make sure to head to the beaches in summer

If in Trondheim buy a thick coat and a hat

Keep an eye on the tax folk, they are basts

Wear your Adeen top with pride

And you can take that to the bank!

If any c**t knows a thing or two about Norway, it's Robbie Winters, so take his good advice on board and you'll not go far wrong.

Charlie Miller will be along here next, maybe Guntveit and Solberg too.