Two Sides To Every Vernon

Certainly seems to be two sides to Vernons football.

On the plus side we have a fantastic finisher, looking easily capable of earning his target of 20 goals. Cool player,getting himself about the park challenging defences and making them work hard.

Negative side, non existent. Very ghost like, seems to allow himself being bullied by the opposition and very rarely comes into the match.

I'm actually fan of Vernon,first player of the positive side we've had in good few years. But performances like yesterday just frustrate me. Matches you feel he can really make a difference but almost seems to bottle out of it.

Thoughts...

I'm surprised people say he had a poor game yesterday!

I thought his link up play was excellent, and we looked less likely to score when he went off, despite him not having any chances himself. The ball wasn't sticking up front when he came off.

Great player, in my honest opinion.

Brown had to change it. Vernon was causing no threat yesterday,everything was getting swept up.

I'm surprised people say he had a poor game yesterday!

I thought his link up play was excellent, and we looked less likely to score when he went off, despite him not having any chances himself. The ball wasn't sticking up front when he came off.

Agreed.

He wasn't bullied yesterday. He won the majority of headers he was up for and did so whilst competing against a very strong Hearts back line.

I didn't see it that way, but appreciate your comment.

I felt in the first half everything good we did involved Vernon, Maguire, Milsom and Aluko. Just suppose people view games differently.

Certainly Aluko Maguire Milsom. Vernon was always tucked in behind a very strong Hearts line.

Glad Brown is seeing things the same way as me.

i don't think it's any coincidence that bebo has improved since vernon arrived, even alan shearer had quiet days next to sutton at blackburn when they were called the SAS n these guys scored for fun

hearts have good players who can mark better than the teams in the bottom 6

Difference was both Shearer and Sutton scored goals. Maguire doesn't and never will.

Great player, in my honest opinion.

Agree

His goals per game count is probably the best we have had from a striker since - since when I dont know. Brewster maybe? Or long before that even?

And also good that there is competition in the shape of Magennis and Blackman. Best strike force we have had for many years IMHO

btw special mention for McArdle yesterday - just shows that fitba players with real grit and commitment to the cause didn't die out years ago

He doesn't have the touch or the technique of someone like Lee Miller, who was more effective than Vernon outside of the box, but I think we've got players behind him effective enough to allow us to use Vernon to his strengths.

Nothing really came off for him yesterday, but he was still a handful.

Would've preferred Magennis to have come on through the middle rather than Blackman though.

This sums it up really

He does bear comparison with Miller

Outside of the box battling with a central defender I'd take miller

Inside the box peeling off defenders getting half a yard of space id take Vernon

Vernon does need support, if we are predominantly building from outside of the box trying to get a break, trying to battle central defenders he will have a poor game - not good outside the box with ball at his feet facing the wrong way

Put him facing the goal with a bit of space he will find the goal

Vernon is also a lot better with a partner that as a sole striker

In terms of his in the box instinct, he's the best striker we've had in years. He's very good at holding the ball up with his feet as well, can pick a good pass and often drops deep to support the link up between midfield in attack. I presume that's something he wouldn't have to do if we had the luxury of a genuine attacking midfield in the Barry Nicholson model.

His game against Hibs on boxing day was the most complete performance I've seen from him in a Dons shirt. Dropped deep to help out Hartley and Young, set up Folly for his goal and was in the poacher's position to get the winner.

Not every team will allow a player like Vernon space in the box or give him the luxury to drop deep and then get in to the poacher's positions. Hearts' defence being the perfect example yesterday.

I am pretty sure he can smash the 20 goal mark Brown has set him. He's a very good player imo, and also my favourite. I <3 SCOTTY VERNON.

Certainly Aluko Maguire Milsom. Vernon was always tucked in behind a very strong Hearts line.

Glad Brown is seeing things the same way as me.

Difference was both Shearer and Sutton scored goals. Maguire doesn't and never will.

well bebo is not the best strker n never will be, in my opinion he's just having a decent season, we've had years of poor shows from him n yet again against the bigger sides he does not score, still fairly young so he might improve under CB, personally i would not lose sleep if he left in the summer, i'd rather have Vernon because a goal scorer is something we've missed since Stavrum

Whilst Miller was better that Vernon outside the box, the difference between them there is marginal - Vernon is still very capable of winning balls he has no right to and smartly playing it off to a team mate. Not with quite the finesse as Miller but similarly effective.

Vernon however is absolute light years ahead of Miller inside the box. Too often Miller would play a swanky ball out wide and seem to think 'job done'. Vernon in that same situation, as soon as the ball has left his feet he's busting a gut to get in the box. I've been very impressed with the amount of goals he's 'started' and finished.

There may be two sides to him, in that some games he can appear anonymous and that the game is passing him by. However, it's pleasing that these games are in the significant minority (from what I've seen and listened to) and that even when they do occur he is still capable of popping up with a goal.

Easily the best striker since Stavrum and, from memory, offers more to the team outside his goals than Arild ever did.

Why are we even discussing this again? He's scored 15 and will probably end up on 20.

End of discussion.

Exactly. For the last 2 or 3 years most people here on afc chat were complaining about the lack of a striker who scores 15 + goals per season. Now we have Vernon who does that and should be happy with it.

Vernon is our new Stavrum without the hindrance of being lazy and caught offside 20 times a game ;)

I like him... A load of people used to rave about Lee Miller all the time, how he was valuable to the team etc. Vernon is twice the player for us. He can do the layoffs and hold up but he can also get into the box, be in the right place and score. He's also honest, apologising to the players after scoring the winner a few weeks ago for not doing enough in the game.

I'll take his 1 ineffective game in 4 for the 15-20 goals a season he's going to knock in.

Vernon is our new Stavrum without the hindrance of being lazy and caught offside 20 times a game ;)

I like him... A load of people used to rave about Lee Miller all the time, how he was valuable to the team etc. Vernon is twice the player for us. He can do the layoffs and hold up but he can also get into the box, be in the right place and score. He's also honest, apologising to the players after scoring the winner a few weeks ago for not doing enough in the game.

I'll take his 1 ineffective game in 4 for the 15-20 goals a season he's going to knock in.

Stavrum was a better finisher/striker 29 goals in 67 appearances is not to be sniffed at

Stavrum was a better finisher/striker 29 goals in 67 appearances is not to be sniffed at

Who's sniffing like :)

I used to love seeing all the kids going about with their number 10 on the back and Offside written above it.

I think we'll get a few more than 29 goals though from Vernon over the course of 2 seasons.

I wonder how many Stav would score in this team this season and how many Vernon would score if playing in team Stav was.

Stavrum also scored quite a few pens. If Vernon was taking our pens he would be well into 20s for goals scored this season.