Ryan Giggs

The first game: 2 March 1991. You look at the photos now and so much has changed. Old Trafford, back then, was an unsophisticated place, desperately in need of investment, much in line with a city struggling from the effects of post-industrialisation. "Madchester" might have been booming but Manchester was far from the metropolis of stylish apartment blocks, Calatrava bridges and glass condominium towers we see now.

Ryan Giggs was 17, wearing a shirt that seemed slightly too large for his skinny frame. Manchester United 0 Everton 2. The team were on a run of seven league games without a win, almost a quarter of a century since their last title. It was an inauspicious debut. "The thing that sticks out is Dave Watson coming through the back of me," Giggs says. "It was 'welcome to the big boys' league'. I had a big cut on my knee for ages after that." Otherwise, he cannot remember too much apart from Ferguson shouting at everyone in the dressing room.

The anniversary is on Wednesday. "Twenty years of tramping up and down that bloody wing," as Ferguson puts it. Though, Giggs being Giggs, he doesn't want too much fuss. He cringes when it is put to him there might be a statue for him outside Old Trafford one day. "A statue? I really don't know about that

for longevity its hard to beat giggs. he's never been united 'best' player but he's always been a first pick for twenty years.

i suppose outwith the u.k. you have maldini, who achieved more success. but that shouldnt take away from giggs. he's done everything alex fergusons has at man united except on the pitch.

its amazing how his game has changed over the years. he's evolved, few footballers have the capacity to do that.

for longevity its hard to beat giggs. he's never been united 'best' player but he's always been a first pick for twenty years.

i suppose outwith the u.k. you have maldini, who achieved more success. but that shouldnt take away from giggs. he's done everything alex fergusons has at man united except on the pitch.

its amazing how his game has changed over the years. he's evolved, few footballers have the capacity to do that.

Right on the money there Bluto. Looks just as comfortable playing behind the forward or even in centre mid nowadays, although at times this season he's shown he still has some pace to beat the full-backs.

A legend in the game indeed and not a single red card either also proves this. Well done Giggsy :applause:

Right on the money there Bluto. Looks just as comfortable playing behind the forward or even in centre mid nowadays, although at times this season he's shown he still has some pace to beat the full-backs.

A legend in the game indeed and not a single red card either also proves this. Well done Giggsy :applause:

i'm pretty sure in the late 90s there was a lot of specualtion that inter wanted to buy him.

nae sure how true it was, but i always rememebr thinking him and figo were the two best left sided midfeilders around.

i'm pretty sure in the late 90s there was a lot of specualtion that inter wanted to buy him.

nae sure how true it was, but i always rememebr thinking him and figo were the two best left sided midfeilders around.

aye i always remember this for some reason haha i remember a period one season when he wasnt in usual sparkling form and there was loads of talk of him leavin, but always thought man utd would be stupid to let him go.

and for the record, without soundin like a dick, figo wasnt a left sided midfielder, always right. just moved to the left for real to accomodate the less versatile dave beckham. but aye, him and giggs prob were the 2 best wingers of that time.