Electrical Help

Pudgie

We're hoping to shift into a flat but this is in the home report: The electrical installation will not meet with current IEE regulations and should be

checked and upgraded to current standards by an IEE contractor.

Anyone ken fit this would mean getting changed? Or could it be anything from a new fusebox to a whole re-wiring? It's listed as a cat 2 non urgent repair so guess it's livable with for now.

Cheers for any help.

the place wont be needing totally rewired unless it has never been done and its a mega old flat.

When I moved into my last place I had to change the wiring going into the bathroom and the fuse box. It was a really old fuse box and the bathroom wiring wasnt right for the shower and shaver points. It'll most probably be work like this that needs done.

I would think it will just be the fuse box.

I've had a couple of valuations done on my flat over the past few years and they have both mentioned this. My box is the old fashioned type with the big fuses you have to take out and replace the wire.

I've never got round to getting this sorted. I'd be interested to know what sort of price and electrician would charge to do this.

• 1 month later...

Any electricians ever see this one?

I need a new electric shower in my flat as the gf said it made a"bang / popping" noise and now runs cold. Perhaps it is something I could tackle myself and replace like for like but I quite fancy a more powerful shower which I think may involve new wiring. This scares me a bit...especially in the bathroom. Any electricians/plumbers here able to help? Or anyone able to recommend someone?

...my fuse box still needs replaced too!

I was referring to the rating/power of the shower. They are available in 8.5 / 9.5 & 10.5 KW versions. I've opened mine up and found out it's an 7.8-8.5kw shower. Therefore, I should just be able to replace it with a new 8.5. I think the higher the rating, the faster the more water can be heated up which gives a better flow at hot settings. Higher rated ones require better electrics though so I think I'd burn the place down if I tried to get a "sportier model".

I turned it on again today and it's cold on my usual setting and splutters when turned up to max (and gets 'warm'). It was in the flat when I moved in 8 years ago so I guess it's probably time for a new one.

I was referring to the rating/power of the shower. They are available in 8.5 / 9.5 & 10.5 KW versions. I've opened mine up and found out it's an 7.8-8.5kw shower. Therefore, I should just be able to replace it with a new 8.5. I think the higher the rating, the faster the more water can be heated up which gives a better flow at hot settings. Higher rated ones require better electrics though so I think I'd burn the place down if I tried to get a "sportier model".I turned it on again today and it's cold on my usual setting and splutters when turned up to max (and gets 'warm'). It was in the flat when I moved in 8 years ago so I guess it's probably time for a new one.

Yes be careful when we moved to our house the coffin dodgers who owned it previous to us, thought they would Upgrade to a rolls royce electric shower, which worked fine til one day I hear a scream coming from the bathroom to which I rushed in and found my wife covered in soap and huge f**k off flames lapping at the wall behind her.

true story

For this sort of stuff the more you know the less likely you'd be to just gash it ('gash it' being a generic term for DIY). If it's done wrong you can void your house insurance, not good if the aforementioned flames burn your house down. Also you could get put in jail for selling the house on in an unsafe condition. The only place I'd take advice from is http://www.theiet.or...s.cfm?catid=205 even then if you dick about with anything and get it wrong, only one person is responsible (though in my view B&Q/Homebase et al should be for selling T/E and "voltage sticks" to anyone...). Guidance document - http://www.woking.go...g/faq/partp.pdf

On the house wiring the legal people will tell you if you need it to be updated, but I would doubt they'll say so, but if you want to change it in the future I'd think you might be forced to update it (all speculation).