Afc The Players

Arguably Willie Millers best purchase as Dons boss, Miller paid StJohnstone £600,000 for his services in 1994 Dodds had been a prolific scorer throughout his career which began in 1986 at Chelsea there he was one of a big Scottosh contingent at Stamford Bridge alongside Duncan Shearer, who he was to later be re united with at Pittodrie, Kevin McAllister, Pat Nevin, Doug Rougvie David Speedie and Joe McLaughlin. in three seasons in london Doddsy started only one league game though he did have a fruitfull spell on loan at Partick where a young Dodds made 30 appearances scoring 7 times. Eventually Dodds realised that he was never going to oust Kerry Dixon, Paul Canoville, Pat Nevin Kevin McAllister and David Speedie so he returned north to Dens park in 1989 and while at Dundee he was a relentless goalscorer hitting the target 63 times in 171 league games and in a memorable partnership with Keith wright they scored 37 league goals in the 1990/ 91 season. Dodds had the luxury of partnering quality strikers throughout his career, Keith and Paul Wright, Tommy Coyne, Duncan Shearer among his clubmates and on Scotland duty Jackson, Booth, Jess were all alongside him on internatioanl duty,

While at Aberdeen he scored 63 goals again this time in only 129 starts, and not since have we had a striker who has scored into double figures in 4 consecutive seasons. Billys Aberdeen career was cut short when the Alex Miller was appointed to the managers job, while a deeply unpopular choice his decision to sell give Dundee Utd £600,000 and Dodds for Robbie Winters and that just days after Dodds had hit a hat trick in a league cu tie.! was to make Miller even more unpopular as the Dons saw thier talismanic striker be forced out of a club he enjoyed playing for. Aftyer a short spell at Tannadice Dodds went on to Rangers and throughout both spells he continued to score goals. Dodds is undoubtedly one of the best strikers that Scotalnd has produced in the last 20 years and Dons fans thank him for his great service over a much too short 4 year spell

One of my favourite players at that time. Immense work rate which some perceived as 'heidless chicken', which was bollocks. Always hassling defenders and looking for the ball, knew where the net was and never gave up.

Was gutted when he was kicked out of the club and a burnt out Robbie Winters came in.

Worst piece of business ever at AFC?

Lot of idiotic decisions from AFC to choose from, but that one stands in a class of its own.

One of my favourite players at that time. Immense work rate which some perceived as 'heidless chicken', which was bollocks. Always hassling defenders and looking for the ball, knew where the net was and never gave up.

Was gutted when he was kicked out of the club and a burnt out Robbie Winters came in.

Worst piece of business ever at AFC?

Lot of idiotic decisions from AFC to choose from, but that one stands in a class of its own.

He was basically the same as Mackie i.e pace and work rate but he had the killer instinct and scored many decisive goals for us too.

I would absolutley concur - in my 4 decades of following the dons I have never seen a managerial decision come close to the stupidity of that transfer. Dodds was a great wee player for us and a solid scorer. When I first heard I though that Scumdee had given us the money as well and was not certain it was that good a deal, Winters was on a good run but Dodds was still in his prime and had a proven track record. When i found out that Miller had added money to it I was appalled; I can only assume he was actively trying to kill AFC. Worst managerial decision out of Pittodrie by a long way, playing ifil as a fullback pales into insignificance next to that.

Now I don't remember much of this transfer when it happened.

But why on earth did we pay £700k plus a good striker, for a striker who only scored 27 goals in 5 years at Dundee United? I just don't get it. Exchange a proven goalscorer plus add £700k for a non proven goal scorer (At the time)???

Weird and one of the decisions I thank god that I wasn't fully aware of what was happening at the time!! :poster_oops:

remember when he played with the Dons there was a few players out in Coatbridge after a game at Motherwell and a mate of mine at the time walked by him in the pub and Dodds called him a big eared c@nt! :itch-chin: Mate gubbed him one and it caused a riot.

never liked him after that! wee man syndrome!

Now, as much as it was a ludicrous sum of money and all round idiocy from Miller and the board, the stats will tell you they have fairly similar records in a Dons shirt.

Dodds 47 goals in 139 league games (67 in 172 total)

Winters 41 goals in 132 league games (45 in 152 total)

Robbie Winters was a better all round footballer than Dodds

I would have liked to have seen them in the same side