Will We Ever Have Any Heroes Again?

I noticed the threads about players from the past, and it occurred to me that it must be many years now since we had a player who was idolised by the fans. One I identify with in that context was Joey Harper, the "King".

In the Ferguson era there were lots of great players, so none actually stood out in the same sense.

Sadly, with players now being encouraged by their agents to move on, it is unlikely that any single player will ever achieve the same status with the fans. It would be great to think that a truly skilled player would be in a similar position of hero-worship at some time, but I can't think of any who could command such a position in the current squad.

Which other players had a similar status to Joey Harper, very few if at all.

i can see what your saying, but maybe could have been worded with less connotations of wrist slitting.

personally, i think itll take a young superstar to ignite the fans passion. as you say, players are encouraged to move nowadays so itll take a local lad who comes through the development side and worships the club for there to be a terrace idol.

i can see what your saying, but maybe could have been worded with less connotations of wrist slitting.

personally, i think itll take a young superstar to ignite the fans passion. as you say, players are encouraged to move nowadays so itll take a local lad who comes through the development side and worships the club for there to be a terrace idol.

Darren Mackie? :itch-chin: Take it "young superstar" rules him out though :laughing:

I think that's harsh.

Jess, Zeroali and Anderson are recent guys who the fans loved. Dadi was a cult figure but by no means a man of skill! Bisconti and Tosh were both popular for their stuck-in mentality and for a brief while Paul Sheerin was destined for Scotland (until everyone realised he wasn't up to much - Hartley anyone?!).

McNaughton is probably my favourite Dons player of the last few years through. I've never seen such a brilliant young player walk into a team & set the pitch alight the way he did! After watching the awful horizontal passing by our then-nervy back line (Gary Smith pass to Mark Perry then pass to Derek Whyte then pass to Jamie McAllister & then he'd try a useless long ball & lose possession), McNaughton was amazing! Pawlett could yet do that if he can stay fit.

Of the current crop, there's a real lack of skill, graft, fitness and personality but I reckon if Maguire re-signs, he's got a chance to earn himself Dons star status. That goes for Aluko too. Both have squandered their chances so far.

I remember the days when Russell Anderson was no hero.. (was my pals cousin)

Give the likes of Jack, Fyvie, Pawlett etc a couple of years and they will be the Andersons of the future..

There was a good 2 year or so period when almost every game involved Anderson making a stunning last ditch tackle. He started as a pretty unimpressive captain but my god he grew in stature. We've limped along without him (with the exception of the Uefa Cup run).

There was a good 2 year or so period when almost every game involved Anderson making a stunning last ditch tackle. He started as a pretty unimpressive captain but my god he grew in stature. We've limped along without him (with the exception of the Uefa Cup run).

Not my point... First couple of seasons he made as much mistakes and got as much stick as anybody else THEN he became a hero... We have a load of players at the moment with the same potential..

The Diamonds of this world can GTF but we have young players coming through the ranks that can be heros for the Dons.. We need to support them :)

Not my point... First couple of seasons he made as much mistakes and got as much stick as anybody else THEN he became a hero... We have a load of players at the moment with the same potential..

The Diamonds of this world can GTF but we have young players coming through the ranks that can be heros for the Dons.. We need to support them :)

I'm not disagreeing - just got my Red tinted specs on remembering when we had better players...

Aberdeen's first team has been bereft of someone to really get behind for a good while.

I was a bit of a late starter with football, and only got into Aberdeen at the tail end of the fergie era, then the Portaloo era and right into the Smith/Scott era.

Players I identified with and were my favourites were in no particular order. Mason, Grant, Bett, Richardson, Shearer, Jess & Windass.

All for different reasons, but I liked them.

Hard to find players to get behind these days.

The way we started off the season you'd have thought that Hartley was going to slot right into the position... although maybe more of Cult Hero :dontknow: I think that he may now be out of the running now.

To answer the question. I think we will but only time will tell... Too early to tell with the young lads and at least half of the more senior players might not be here next season....

Scott Vernon could be, i think.

I agree, should be, first actual goal scorer in a good while. But there's a few kicking about, whole team if they give us all they can, with a bit of ability and luck could be. Imagine putting out Celtic then winning the "oldest national trophy in the world" how couldn't they be heroes?

Also agree with thread in general, "we need a deano!" laughing.gif

I agree, should be, first actual goal scorer in a good while. But there's a few kicking about, whole team if they give us all they can, with a bit of ability and luck could be. Imagine putting out Celtic then winning the "oldest national trophy in the world" how couldn't they be heroes?

Also agree with thread in general, "we need a deano!" laughing.gif

He's nae quite ready yet Derv. Give him 6 years and you'll get your wish :laughing:

My next hero will first be the guy who ousts Milne.

Once Milne is gone my subsequent hero will be whichever boss brings us a trophy.

The latter won't happen without the former.

As far as I know there is no-one ready to 'oust' Milne. I think I'd rather us win a trophy than Milne to leave, based on the fact there is nobody to take over...

As far as I know there is no-one ready to 'oust' Milne. I think I'd rather us win a trophy than Milne to leave, based on the fact there is nobody to take over...

No, I know there isn't right now. Wasn't suggesting there was.

One day he'll be gone, though, either voluntarily or kicking and screaming.. I don't care which. Just that he goes.

No, I know there isn't right now. Wasn't suggesting there was.

One day he'll be gone, though, either voluntarily or kicking and screaming.. I don't care which. Just that he goes.

Yeah, I agree that his tenure hasn't been filled with success. But, I just think it is a waste of our energies to hate him, especially because there is no likely alternative.