Afc The Players

Ian Portefields list of signings was not a who's who of world football Tom Jones, Gary Hackett, Keith Edwards Peter Nicholas but it was the signing of another Nicholas (Charlie ) that saved Portefields AFC career for as long as it did. Porterfield pulled out a rabbit from the hat when he shelled out £450,000 to Arsenal for Scotland internationalist Nicholas in January 1988.

Nicholas had been a revelation as a kid at Celtic, culminating in the 82/83 season when he hammered in 29 goals in 35 games securing the young Nicholas a move to England, both Liverpool and Arsenal were chasing the Celtic man who opted for the bright lights of London over the all conquering Merseyside outfit.

Charlie had a decnt spell in England the highlight being scoring both goals in the 1986 League Cup final when he socred both the Gunners goals in a 2-1 win over Liverpool ironically.

Nicholas dropped out of favour with George Graham who was keen to move him on and when Aberdeen made an approach much to everyones surprise the ex Celtic man was keen to come. Charlie was a hero at Pittodrie linking well with the likse od Bett , Mason and Gillhaus during his time which ended after the 1990 Sc ottish Cup final when he scored a penalty in the shoot out against his beloved |Celtic despite agreeing to rejoin thgem for the 90/91 camapaign that was the mark of the man a good honset pro adored by the fans a repaid them with goals an entertainment.

Hands on hips, no effort to track back when play was raging round our box, unlikely to really sprint after a ball that didn't land right at his feet.

But one of the most skilled footballers I've seen play in a red shirt outside of the ECWC era.

Amazing that we had a Dutch and a Scottish International as our forward line, when we've plugged away with Darren Mackie + an army of anonymous wasters for the better part of a decade.

None of whom were fit to lace Nicholas' boots on his worst day.

Hands on hips, no effort to track back when play was raging round our box, unlikely to really sprint after a ball that didn't land right at his feet.

But one of the most skilled footballers I've seen play in a red shirt outside of the ECWC era.

Amazing that we had a Dutch and a Scottish International as our forward line, when we've plugged away with Darren Mackie + an army of anonymous wasters for the better part of a decade.

None of whom were fit to lace Nicholas' boots on his worst day.

Nail on head there Kelt.

Agree with comments here, Charlie, once he'd lost a bit of the lard he came from Arsenal with, was a wonderfully gifted player - and we've really since he and Gillhaus left not had a striker of that class. Actually think he could have been greater than he was but didn't seem to put in the effort that he should have. It would've been interesting to see how his career would have gone had he gone to Liverpool and not been allowed to become Champagne Charlie; but then he'd never have graced Pittodrie and that would have been a shame. A good pro. and a great player for us.

Agree with comments here, Charlie, once he'd lost a bit of the lard he came from Arsenal with, was a wonderfully gifted player - and we've really since he and Gillhaus left not had a striker of that class. Actually think he could have been greater than he was but didn't seem to put in the effort that he should have. It would've been interesting to see how his career would have gone had he gone to Liverpool and not been allowed to become Champagne Charlie; but then he'd never have graced Pittodrie and that would have been a shame. A good pro. and a great player for us.

Interesting thing about Nicholas is that, at the end of the 87-88 season, he was actually fatter than he was when he arrived at new year, this being down to the (lack of) training regime that Mr Portaloo instigated, and the blind eye turned to the drinking culture.

Wasn't till Alex Smith and Jocky Scott arrived that summer that we saw the real Charlie.

He'd signed for Celtic before the cup final in 1990.

He had to take a penalty, for us, against his prospective employers.

He had ice in his veins, and put it away. I had genuine fears at the match that he would miss and his Dons career would end in recrimination.

Utter havering fake tanned weegie c**t on the telly though, jesus he has an accent that would put you off your mince and tatties, 'cityation' for the love of f**k it's situation you posh tink.

Definitely my favourite player as a boy.

Can anyone confirm Charlie's debut was against Hibs at Easter Road?

I was there, and I think it was his debut.

Aye it was.

His home debut was against Dunfermline. My Auntie (who knew/knows nothing about football) took me along because she fancied Charlie! :scarf:

Was one of my first heroes as a wee boy, remember buying Shoot magazine just after we signed him as there was a free poster of him in centre pages, even then a poster of a non English top flight/non Old Firm player was rare and showed what a big signing it was at the time.