The Scottish Connections Of Tottenham Hotspur

Scotland play Brazil on Sunday 27th March 2011 at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and it's a sign of the way modern football has developed that Tottenham Hotspur now have more players in the Brazilian squad (Heurelho Gomes and Sandro) than in the Scottish squad (Alan Hutton).

Spurs have always had more than their fair share of Scots in the team (and managing the club).

Our earliest success came in the 1901 FA Cup when we were still in the Southern League and had a Scottish player-manager - John Cameron and Alex 'Sandy' Brown set an FA Cup goalscoring record which still stands today some 110 years later.

In fact, there were no less than five Scotsmen in that FA Cup winning team including full-back Harry Erentz.

Our second FA Cup win in 1921 was also under a Scottish manager, Peter McWilliam.

It was well into the 1930s before Spurs fielded a first team line-up without a single Scot in the team.

Our legendary team in the early to mid-60s contained Dave Mackay, John White, Bill Brown and Alan Gilzean - all outstanding Scottish internationals.

Since then, we've featured players like Graeme Souness, Neil McNab, Alfie Conn, John Duncan, Gordon Smith, Willie Young, Steve Archibald, Alan Brazil, Richard Gough, Colin Calderwood, Gordon Durie, Neil Sullivan and Alan Hutton.

Our Scottish managers have included John Cameron (1899-1907), Peter McWilliam (1913-27 & 1938-42) and George Graham (1998-2001).

Spurs have played two Scottish clubs in European competition - Rangers in the 1962-63 Cup Winners' Cup (won 8-4 on aggregate) and Aberdeen in the 1973-74 UEFA Cup (won 5-2 on aggregate).

In the 1956-57 season, Spurs participated in the Anglo-Scottish Floodlit Tournament, playing Hibernian, Partick Thistle and Heart of Midlothian.

We played a combined Glasgow XI in the Glasgow Charity Cup at Hampden Park in 1964 (lost 2-4).

The Texaco Cup in 1970-71 saw Spurs up against Dunfermline Athletic and Motherwell.

During the 1960s, Spurs regularly used to play a pre-season friendly against Rangers at Ibrox Park.

More recently, Spurs met Celtic in the Wembley Tournament.

One of my mates is a THFC season ticket holder. I've never liked Arsenal so I hope you have a good end to the season.

I'm not sure you can beat the Millwall connection though. If I am correct, it was Scottish dockyard workers who founded that club.

This year, Millwall are celebrating their 125th anniversary and have adopted the "Dundee" dark blue shirts which the club wore from 1885 to 1936.

The club's roots were as a works team for JT Morton, who were founded in Aberdeen in 1849 as ship's suppliers.