An interesting supplement in todays P&J.

It has a piece on the new stadium along with the future for the energy sector, airport extension, AWPR, AECC, retail, Trumps Golf Resort etc etc.

It looks like the egg chasers have done a deal to plough up the new pitch on a regular basis.

Its worth a read.

Edit; Wiggy is quoted in nearly all aspects of Aberdeens future. Gulp!

i'd love to hear about that one.

aberdeen is in the middle of nowhere.

and its got one of the worst least well connected airports i've ever been to.

double whammy.

suppose may as well upgrade now then.

only a good 30+ years too late.

Its only the runway that will be extended.

The carparking and terminal upgrades are complete.

Flights to Houston, Dubai etc once the extra tar is dry (work starts noo and finishes summer 2012).

ABZ is a business airport.

Mair cheapo flights to hol/weekend destinations would be better imo.

Flights to Houston, Dubai etc once the extra tar is dry (work starts noo and finishes summer 2012).

thats all that needs to be upgraded.

i dont care about car parks etc.

as long as it has an easyjet lounge i dont care.

as i said aberdeen is in the middle of nowhere. its nae exactly a tourist mecca but the airport links deosnt help that either.

why do other cities try and attract visiotors but aberdeen doesnt?

thats all that needs to be upgraded.

i dont care about car parks etc.

as i said aberdeen is in the middle of nowhere. its nae exactly a tourist mecca but the airport links deosnt help that either.

It is kind of difficult, given that it is the middle of nowhere. What other cities are you referring to? Inverness would have a degree of success due to the fact it is the gateway to the Highlands. Glasgow does alright due to having to build new industry through tourism after the more traditional industries fell by the wayside. Edinburgh succeeds because of its history and the massive festival it holds every year (which I guess makes it difficult for any other Scottish city to do anything similar to attract tourism).

I guess it is not so important to Aberdeen as there is not a lot of historical interest to the place to work with and we don't need to have a roaring tourism trade in the city to tide it over.

thats all that needs to be upgraded.i dont care about car parks etc.

Improved links to the city or a train station would be good.

Its crazy we have an airport and train station at Dyce but they are 2miles apart.

It claims it will try to get more tourists once the runway is finished but unless the tourists are from Houston or some other oil city it'll just be the same.

It is kind of difficult, given that it is the middle of nowhere. What other cities are you referring to? Inverness would have a degree of success due to the fact it is the gateway to the Highlands. Glasgow does alright due to having to build new industry through tourism after the more traditional industries fell by the wayside. Edinburgh succeeds because of its history and the massive festival it holds every year (which I guess makes it difficult for any other Scottish city to do anything similar to attract tourism).

I guess it is not so important to Aberdeen as there is not a lot of historical interest to the place to work with and we don't need to have a roaring tourism trade in the city to tide it over.

do you mean that cause a) the city is dynamic and thriving as it currently is or b) cause the oil and its money will last forever?

do you mean that cause a) the city is dynamic and thriving as it currently is or b) cause the oil and its money will last forever?

I mean we don't need to have a roaring tourism trade just now and therefore it is not something that the council and business groups within the city have bothered themselves about too greatly. It is not an easy thing to do, without millions upon millions of pound of investment. Trump's golf course and the potential to do something with the new square means that there are things in the pipeline that could sell Aberdeen a bit better.

Long term thinking, tourism, as well as ways to attract other industry, has to be considered as oil dries up in the North Sea. I still think you answer your own point though. Aberdeen is in the middle of nowhere and is in a country which has much larger, diverse and historical places that are easier to get to (regardless of airport size). What unique selling points does Aberdeen have and how could that be used to attract more tourists?

I mean we don't need to have a roaring tourism trade just now and therefore it is not something that the council and business groups within the city have bothered themselves about too greatly. It is not an easy thing to do, without millions upon millions of pound of investment. Trump's golf course and the potential to do something with the new square means that there are things in the pipeline that could sell Aberdeen a bit better.

Long term thinking, tourism, as well as ways to attract other industry, has to be considered as oil dries up in the North Sea. I still think you answer your own point though. Aberdeen is in the middle of nowhere and is in a country which has much larger, diverse and historical places that are easier to get to (regardless of airport size). What unique selling points does Aberdeen have and how could that be used to attract more tourists?

your first paragraph reeks of complacency. and short sightedness.

the second paragraph...

well thats exactly why it needs a decent airport infrastructure.

why would people come to aberdeen? right enough it most certainly doesnt have the draw of glasgow or edinburgh. but you can still visit it and have a good time. there are still plenty things to do.

if its chape and eay ot get to you'' find lots of peopel will visit it as its somewhere new and unusual.

london is obviously the best city in the uk but that deosnt other folk wont visit other cities

the second paragraph...

why would people come to aberdeen? right enough it most certainly doesnt have the draw of glasgow or edinburgh. but you can still visit it and have a good time. there are still plenty things to do.

if its chape and eay ot get to you'' find lots of peopel will visit it as its somewhere new and unusual.

london is obviously the best city in the uk but that deosnt other folk wont visit other cities

Who wants visitors anyway?

The less tourists the better IMO, they're a pain in the arse.

the second paragraph...

Well, complacent as it may be, that is the answer to the questions you are asking. I'd say you are overly simplifying the process in which you make a city a viable tourist destination.

Out of interest, what would you name as some of the things to do here just now that are good and would attract tourists with slight infrastructure upgrades?

Out of interest, what would you name as some of the things to do here just now that are good and would attract tourists with slight infrastructure upgrades?

the infrastructure upgrade (singular) is having an airport that caters for a larger and expanding list of carriers and daily flights.

places like royal deeside

the cairngorms

the city itself

golf courses

skiiing/winter sports

the coast and beaches

depends what you like doing as a tourist.

i like visiting places never been to.

aberdeen wouldnt be on a hit list by any stretch, but if i lived in say bristol ( a nicer more exciting place than aberdeen) i'd consider going to aberdeen with the boys.

if i could get there relative cheaply.tahts teh problems though, the poor selection of airlines and destinatuions to/from aberdeen.

this excludes it from the global tourism map.

The first thing that sham of an airport needs to upgrade is the attitude of its staff. f**king disgrace... for some, quite a lot actually thats their first impression of Scotland and they are greeted by a bunch of jumped up tattie farmers that speak out the side of their gobs, try to intimidate everyone going through and generally make Aberdeen airport the least welcoming I've ever flown into. I've flown into some hellish airports in my tiem as well...

the infrastructure upgrade (singular) is having an airport that caters for a larger and expanding list of carriers and daily flights.

places like royal deeside

the cairngorms

the city itself

golf courses

skiiing/winter sports

the coast and beaches

depends what you like doing as a tourist.

i like visiting places never been to.

aberdeen wouldnt be on a hit list by any stretch, but if i lived in say bristol ( a nicer more exciting place than aberdeen) i'd consider going to aberdeen with the boys.

if i could get there relative cheaply.tahts teh problems though, the poor selection of airlines and destinatuions to/from aberdeen.

this excludes it from the global tourism map.

Cracking place is Bristol - moved back up from there in December as job didnt work out.

Aberdeen, however, is not a patch on it.