Capello

Heard on the news and radio this morning that Capello has said he only need to know 100 words in english to talk to his players.

I'm sure theres more to the story than that but there are continued reports with regard to his command of the english language.

I expected him to make a big difference to their national side and he did to begin with in qualifiers. He has this reputation for attention to detail and being a sgt major but he seems full of PR gaffs, double standards and lazy/sloppiness.

With regard to the langauage coaches (liek him) do OK at club level with foreign langauages but how is he expected to converse with such intellectuals as rooney and gerrard with his limited vocabulary. Maybe they have more time and make more effort to learn? He's had plenty time. Wonder how he did in Spain, first time round in late 90s?

Anyway, I still think he [as a coach is capable of great things and could get englands rag tag bunch into a decent side in time for the euros next year.

But then I wouldnt be surprised to see his methods and style backfire completely.

He seems a bit of mentalist.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

am nae sure there.

he does himself few favours.

changed his captain but never thought to tell his current one?

i like the idea of not pandering to egos. but surely if tehre is one squad member you treat with respect its your captian.

[could be all media rubbish of course, but i think rio has tweeted about it has he not?]

i actually think vs germany england/capello were pretty unlucky in some respects.

but their performances in the group stages were incredibly dissapointing. far more worrying than vs germany.

am nae sure there.

he does himself few favours.

changed his captain but never thought to tell his current one?

This one is a cracker. He phoned his vice captain to tell him but not the current captain. Then after it all comes out Capello says in press conference he will TRY to speak to Rio NEXT WEEK. How hard is it to give someone who is meant to be your captain a quick call?

England currently sit top of their group and look as if they will qualify with out any major problems.

whats the problem with Capello then? so what if he didn't tell the Ferdinand about it, he'd have probably picked up a f**king injury lifting the bloody phone to answer it then make the injury worse by tweeting about it.

England fans and press are like OF fans, despite doing quite well they are still not happy.

In 18 competitive games he has 13 wins, three draws and two defeats (one of them to Ukraine after qualifying for the last WC) - I'd say thats nae bad. And even though they were hammered by Germany in the end, they were a tad unlucky not to equalise, then who knows how that game would have gone.

Granted England were sh1te last summer, but maybe that had less to do with the manager and more to do with the fact that their players aren't as good as the English press inflate them up to be, especially since their one genuine world class player, Rooney, was still carrying the injury he picked up in March.

Granted England were sh1te last summer, but maybe that had less to do with the manager and more to do with the fact that their players aren't as good as the English press inflate them up to be, especially since their one genuine world class player, Rooney, was still carrying the injury he picked up in March.

i said a similar thing up top.

but, capello is paid 6million a year and there are far too many negative stories coming out about him.

why did terry get stripped of teh captaincy in the first place?

why was he involved in that stupid capello index?

why was his world cup squad so poor? - he made some bad choices.

why did he dump green after 1 mistake? - if he had taht little faith in him, he shouldnt have started him.

you point out his record which is good. but englands players are good enough to win these games regardless of the manager.

he is paid 6miilion a year to make a difference at big tournament.

and he came up short on that.

and all of the above plus his language skills and other issues are contributing factors.

but, capello is paid 6million a year and there are far too many negative stories coming out about him.

why did he dump green after 1 mistake? - if he had taht little faith in him, he shouldnt have started him.

you point out his record which is good. but englands players are good enough to win these games regardless of the manager.he is paid 6miilion a year to make a difference at big tournament.

and all of the above plus his language skills and other issues are contributing factors.

I think Steve Maclaren proved thats not true.

I'd agree he's made loads of mistakes, but so do all managers, just his are subject to more scrutiny. He was basically appointed as the anti Sven/Steve Maclaren, in that he was seen as a discplinarian, and aloof from the players, so would seem strange that these are two of the major things that people seem to gripe about.

Cappello doesn't give a f4ck what the English press think, which probably rankles them too.

you point out his record which is good. but englands players are good enough to win these games regardless of the manager.

he is paid 6miilion a year to make a difference at big tournament.

Think the crux of it is this. With players at his disposal England should be winning most of their games.

The blinding arrogance and xenophobia of the English only really gets up to speed for the big tournaments.

Then suddenly it's blitzkrieg the Germans this, revenge for the Malvinas that.

Most of the rest of the world hate them and their fitba team, and are falling over each other to knock them on their arses.

England do not go in for understated.

The blinding arrogance and xenophobia of the English only really gets up to speed for the big tournaments.

Then suddenly it's blitzkrieg the Germans this, revenge for the Malvinas that.

Most of the rest of the world hate them and their fitba team, and are falling over each other to knock them on their arses.

England do not go in for understated.

Why would England want revenge for the Malvinas, I thought we gave the Argies a good pasting in the falklands?

Why would England want revenge for the Malvinas, I thought we gave the Argies a good pasting in the falklands?

Aye I ken that, they however started it as I'm sure you're aware, and this is dredged up from nowhere should England draw them in the WC.

And it's always, always, the Malvinas when the WC comes around, I don't know if it's a patronising thing or whatever towards the Argies (or Argie Bargies as they invariably get called at these times) but it's always the Malvinas.

Aye I ken that, they however started it as I'm sure you're aware, and this is dredged up from nowhere should England draw them in the WC.

And it's always, always, the Malvinas when the WC comes around, I don't know if it's a patronising thing or whatever towards the Argies (or Argie Bargies as they invariably get called at these times) but it's always the Malvinas.

and any mention of 'england' dredges up youre inate xenophobia.

e.g. see above.

I honestly don't think there is any one out there who could do much better with those players, some seem to believe the hype when they are told that with the the players england have means they should be doing better I don't buy it, they always fail with the exception of one world cup and they did brilliant at Italia 90 with what was a good organised team.

They didn't light up the world cup in 2010 but they did get to the latter stages with a very over hyped side and were beaten by the better side on the day. They are simply not as good as some make them out to be which means Capello will never be good enough unless he by some miracle wins a tournament.

Nobody forced Capello to play Gareth Barry in his team in the World Cup. Nobody forced him to play Jamie Carragher in centre of defense in world cup. Nobody forced him to play both Lampard and Gerrard together when proven it just doesn't work. And certainly nobody forced him to play with Emile Heskey up front when had Crouch and Defoe on bench.

Nobody forced Capello to play Gareth Barry in his team in the World Cup. Nobody forced him to play Jamie Carragher in centre of defense in world cup. Nobody forced him to play both Lampard and Gerrard together when proven it just doesn't work. And certainly nobody forced him to play with Emile Heskey up front when had Crouch and Defoe on bench.

there is no guarantee that if any of the above were replaced that England would have conquered all.

They're as average as we are, only difference is they pay their players much, much more within their club structure, ability wise we are virtually identical.

Hence, massive heids, out of all proportion to talent, and inevitable tournament defeats followed by hand wringing sessions for weeks on end and a finger pointing blame game.