Will Brown Get The Money He Was Promised

Edit: Assuming he was promised money, of course.

No idea how much Brown was promised to lure him to Aberdeen, but what are the chances he's going to get anything like near enough to revitalise the team?

McGhee repeatedly said there was money available, but despite selling players and shifting others off the wage bill he didn't spend a penny in transfer fees, and as far as wages were concerned he was unable to even bring in that left back (I forget his name) for something like 500 quid a week.

True, McGhee allegedly pissed a chunk of change away of Jerel Ifil's wage, but checking the rosters for SPL clubs at the beginning of McGhee's season showed we had one of the smallest rosters in the league, and from the time of the departure of Severin we have more or less maintained the same number of outs and ins, with those coming in likely on lower wages than those who left.... so where the f**k is this mystical "budget" McGhee allegedly had to improve the squad?

Not even taking into account the supposed half a million+ quid we got for Lee Miller, of which we saw exactly f**k all reinvested, it seems the budget McGhee was given was smaller than that allowed Calderwood.

So any talk of a budget was, to my mind, merely deflected or obscured by the mantra "There is money there".

Sure, there was money there, only it was less money than we previously had... so how does a reduced budget take Aberdeen anywhere but backwards, regardless of the manager?

And so Brown has come in, following McGhee being hung out to dry (combined with him being a terrible manager) with promises of a budget, it would seem.

But what is that budget going to be?

Is there suddenly going to be a massive increase in the budget allowed for Craig Brown, or is he, like McGhee, supposed to magically strip the losers.. and they are losers.... out of this team and replace them with competitive players with a winning mentality and the skill to go with it?

Watching the current crop stroll around the park with zero urgency, despite being a goal down to a poor Hibs side, reveals the massive job that needs to be done to turn things around. We've managed to reduce the quality of the squad year upon year, stripping the squad to a threadbare collection of disinterested professionals and cheap rookies, and looking at the squad against Hibs it was painfully evident that this team doesn't really have a next level.... this is it. A bottom six team with a playing budget that is progressively crippled in a bid to curb expenses.

I can't see any kind of realistic budget given to Brown, despite whatever promises have been made to him by the board. Certainly not the kind of budget that will replace these players with better players. We might see a few shipped out and a few come in, but to get out of the bottom six we need players who are actually better than these guys, not just more of the same.

I just don't see this board releasing the funds Brown will need to do that.

I might be a cynical kind of a c**t, but does anyone think that Brown is going to get the funds to significantly improve this team?

With the amount of players likely to move on this summer and the related freeing up of wages, there should be the potential to wisely invest that and get a better squad than we have currently, without considering transfer fees. Transfer fees would obviously help us, if there are great bosmans available for us and it ain't going to cost us anything, you'd think they would be getting them tied down on pre-contracts.

I think he will get what he was promised. He has done the job required of him for this season and the whole situation that arose around getting him here would suggest a lack of wriggle room on Milne's part. On our part I think we just have to hope that something decent was promised to Brown to convince him to come up here more than it being a bigger club, greater history, higher attendances and a budget that is bigger than Motherwell's.

Edit: Assuming he was promised money, of course.

No idea how much Brown was promised to lure him to Aberdeen, but what are the chances he's going to get anything like near enough to revitalise the team?

McGhee repeatedly said there was money available, but despite selling players and shifting others off the wage bill he didn't spend a penny in transfer fees, and as far as wages were concerned he was unable to even bring in that left back (I forget his name) for something like 500 quid a week.

True, McGhee allegedly pissed a chunk of change away of Jerel Ifil's wage, but checking the rosters for SPL clubs at the beginning of McGhee's season showed we had one of the smallest rosters in the league, and from the time of the departure of Severin we have more or less maintained the same number of outs and ins, with those coming in likely on lower wages than those who left.... so where the f**k is this mystical "budget" McGhee allegedly had to improve the squad?

Not even taking into account the supposed half a million+ quid we got for Lee Miller, of which we saw exactly f**k all reinvested, it seems the budget McGhee was given was smaller than that allowed Calderwood.

So any talk of a budget was, to my mind, merely deflected or obscured by the mantra "There is money there".

Sure, there was money there, only it was less money than we previously had... so how does a reduced budget take Aberdeen anywhere but backwards, regardless of the manager?

And so Brown has come in, following McGhee being hung out to dry (combined with him being a terrible manager) with promises of a budget, it would seem.

But what is that budget going to be?

Is there suddenly going to be a massive increase in the budget allowed for Craig Brown, or is he, like McGhee, supposed to magically strip the losers.. and they are losers.... out of this team and replace them with competitive players with a winning mentality and the skill to go with it?

Watching the current crop stroll around the park with zero urgency, despite being a goal down to a poor Hibs side, reveals the massive job that needs to be done to turn things around. We've managed to reduce the quality of the squad year upon year, stripping the squad to a threadbare collection of disinterested professionals and cheap rookies, and looking at the squad against Hibs it was painfully evident that this team doesn't really have a next level.... this is it. A bottom six team with a playing budget that is progressively crippled in a bid to curb expenses.

I can't see any kind of realistic budget given to Brown, despite whatever promises have been made to him by the board. Certainly not the kind of budget that will replace these players with better players. We might see a few shipped out and a few come in, but to get out of the bottom six we need players who are actually better than these guys, not just more of the same.

I just don't see this board releasing the funds Brown will need to do that.

I might be a cynical kind of a c**t, but does anyone think that Brown is going to get the funds to significantly improve this team?

I've forgotten the question.

There is no doubt about the fact that we have a bigger budget than Motherwell ever have or probably ever will have (not slagging them of or anything like that), and Brown managed to bring in a good standard of player - Humphrey for example. He's also managed to bring in a decent standard of player in his short time here: Milsom and Smith for example. With his vast array of contacts, I have no doubt that the standard of player here next season will be much better.

There is no doubt about the fact that we have a bigger budget than Motherwell ever have or probably ever will have (not slagging them of or anything like that), and Brown managed to bring in a good standard of player - Humphrey for example. He's also managed to bring in a decent standard of player in his short time here: Milsom and Smith for example. With his vast array of contacts, I have no doubt that the standard of player here next season will be much better.

if broon dizna get it right this time its curtains for AFC as far as I'm concerned, so many have already ran out of patience with the club and more disappointment will make things ten times worse.

Brown didn't sign Humphrey for Motherwell. Think he signed Darren Randolph, Michael McGlinchey, Nick Blackman, Angelis Charambolous and Esteban Casagolda, all to varying degrees of success.

There are possibly other Brown signings that I'm not aware of.

Brown didn't sign Humphrey for Motherwell. Think he signed Darren Randolph, Michael McGlinchey, Nick Blackman, Angelis Charambolous and Esteban Casagolda, all to varying degrees of success.

There are possibly other Brown signings that I'm not aware of.

Woops, thought he did. Still though, it's clear that there aren't many people in football who Craig Brown doesn't know and hopefully a few down south will do him a favour or two.

I hope not, i dont believe hes the right man going forward

we need to build something and its something from scatch

im sick of the "we need to rebuild" sh*te getting rolled out every single season

get a young man in who can build something and see it through

craig browns done nothing to prove hes adept with cash and his attitude doesnt sit right with me either

^^^ ...and that proves why you shouldn't lick a cactus.

im not against craig brown, per se

i just want some longetivity

i want something we can build and im not sure craig browns the long term answer, thats all

I see where you're coming from, was just having a laugh there.

I take it you mean something along the lines of what Killie did with Mixu? He was a big change from Jefferies and then Calderwood. He probably got them playing some of the best stuff they've every played.

I think that is something we are aiming to do on some level at the moment. I think it was how McGhee's 18 months in charge completely dismantled a stable five years that has meant we've had to revert to assured stability. Of course the aim when Brown and Knox came in was to avoid relegation - much safer to go with those two for that rather than a younger manager. We do however need another couple of years to get back on track. Again, you're almost assured that with Brown and Knox. When the team is stable and ready to be handed over (which it wasn't between Calderwood leaving and McGhee taking over) then I'm sure Brown and Knox will have done their jobs and be happy to call it a day. It also gives us plenty of time and the use of Brown and Knox's knowledge to bring in a suitable successor.

Will he f**k and this is why... Milne is a c**t and Miller is a stooge.

They're f**king our club up the arse and always have done.

End of thread.

FFS Same old sh*te, yet again.

By the way it's not the end of the thread.

Back on topic gentlemen-TUP may be able to help us with this query Kelt has raised ;-)

No he won't and it'll be all our fault for not turning up in big enough numbers each week, eh, Mr Miller and Mr Milne

This to me nails one of the points right to the wall... The fans have been accused, in a backhanded sort of fashion, of being the root cause of the decline. This is, of course, pish.

How many times over the years have the club, after yet another humiliation or lower placed finish, come out and said, "The fans need to be patient."

16 years isn't showing f**king patience?

Seriously?

What does constitute patience, the first quarter century?

The other tremendous one is, "The fans need to have realistic expectations."

Okay, well given the catchment area we're in, and the fact that we're the only professional team in the city, I would say a realistic expectation is European qualification most years, a f**king CUP FINAL once every few years, and a top 6 finish EVERY f**kING YEAR!

Someone might want to explain why that is expecting too much, and how underachieving is somehow what we should be hoping for. That avoiding relegation, or getting raped in a semi-final by a team of amateurs, is somehow just exactly what we should be shooting for.

Amazing how the guys who run the club have the brass f**king balls to tell the fans it's their fault the sh*t the club is in, or that the fans somehow expect to be winning European trophies all the time.

Get to f**k.

Exactly right is Dodds - as I said in another thread last week re. Mr Browns budget - its going to be the best outside the 3 big spenders, and thats without a "magical promised sum from Milne" - I'm sure Milne was persuasive with himself and Archie back in December but I very much doubt a summer pot of gold had nothing to do with it, it was merely getting the "room" to make changes in teh January transfer window.

The players we have aren't worth the money they are on. Mr Brown has shown he is adept at finding decent talent by using his decent contacts - his MWell gems are the perfect example and they will be on less the half that some of our beauties.

The Maguire fee and wages will help, as will Diamond's and then there is the potential money from Foster (lets hope his agent is working hard in the YouTube edit suite deleting all those Rangers f**k ups).

The money generated from that to add to the buidget could be;

£300k Maguire fee / £1500 a week wages

£100k Foster fee / £2000 a week wages

Diamond £3000 a week wages

.....you are looking at £500k to swell the annual budget (which is ok in the first place) and thats before others like Young et all are released.

In short, Brown should have the money he needs to build a really good team.

At which point if there is a mass clearout this summer one can assume next year will be a bedding in season ie somewhat of a reapeat of this season... Swings and roundabouts if you ask me... We just hope that Pa Broon has a better eye for a player than McGhee, Calderwood, Paterson, Skovdahl, Miller, Aitken, Miller etc etc...

You really believe Brown will be given full amount of wages from players on way out?

Definately, that'll be why he took the job. We can criticise the board but even they know that is of the utmost importance.

Previous hingmy wasted his decent budget and thats why he got sacked - Mark McGhee pretty much did the same although to a lesser extent - I firmly believe Mr Brown will make the most of this and we shall see good value for money ala Humphries, Jennings, Milsom, Randolph and hopefully Blackman - whom I think we can get on loan again.

Let's not look at what's gone before as a pointer to what may be to come in the near future.

Brown and Knox will have the budget to buy or acquire the type of players Aberdeen FC need to get back to where we belong, mark my words.

The sacking of Mark McGhee, and the financial disaster his whole tenure brought to our door, will not be repeated. It was a watershed moment, and Milne knows it.

If we had stuck with McGhee for six weeks more there's a fair chance we would be in huge danger of relegation. He brought the club to it's knees.

Willie Miller is marginalised now and won't be seen in any prominent role again in terms of player recruitment and contractual matters. I expect his role at the club to be abolished shortly.

No point in shouting about figures or anything else, and there's no point in asking me, but watch and see what happens from summer onwards is all I'm prepared to say on the matter.

Let's not look at what's gone before as a pointer to what may be to come in the near future.

Brown and Knox will have the budget to buy or acquire the type of players Aberdeen FC need to get back to where we belong, mark my words.

The sacking of Mark McGhee, and the financial disaster his whole tenure brought to our door, will not be repeated. It was a watershed moment, and Milne knows it.

If we had stuck with McGhee for six weeks more there's a fair chance we would be in huge danger of relegation. He brought the club to it's knees.

Willie Miller is marginalised now and won't be seen in any prominent role again in terms of player recruitment and contractual matters. I expect his role at the club to be abolished shortly.

No point in shouting about figures or anything else, and there's no point in asking me, but watch and see what happens from summer onwards is all I'm prepared to say on the matter.

WM and SSM have brough it to their ****ing knees TUP.

I agree and I hope, or maybe wish that the board and especially WM and SM realise that we were at deaths door due to their management of the club, along with their puppets.....Mr Fraser being another cancerous growth within the structure.

Lets hope the chemo and rehab works for next season.

As TUP alludes to, Milne must surely have realised that if you get acquire average players you get f+ck all success on the park. All the money spend sacking managers spells this out clearly.

Now he has a man who has the eye for spotting a player, and who has made it clear in no uncertain terms what it will take to improve AFC - he'll be more willing to spend a bit.

We'll see.

As TUP alludes to, Milne must surely have realised that if you get acquire average players you get f+ck all success on the park. All the money spend sacking managers spells this out clearly.

Now he has a man who has the eye for spotting a player, and who has made it clear in no uncertain terms what it will take to improve AFC - he'll be more willing to spend a bit.

We'll see.

Keep on dreaming Jazzer