Playstation Network

Fit the f**ks going on here then?

Fired up the PS3 last night looking for a game of FIFA online, no luck, some error occurred.

Checked Google and it says that the Playstation Network is down for a 'few days' :dontknow:

'Anonymous' claim it wasn't them (whoever they are), so fit's going on?

I need my PS3 back! :angry2:

I hate hackers, what is the point to them?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fit the f**ks going on here then?

Fired up the PS3 last night looking for a game of FIFA online, no luck, some error occurred.

Checked Google and it says that the Playstation Network is down for a 'few days' :dontknow:

'Anonymous' claim it wasn't them (whoever they are), so fit's going on?

I need my PS3 back! :angry2:

I hate hackers, what is the point to them?

Xbox live is working fine. Really don't see the point in people hacking consoles just to take down the servers.

• Admin

Xbox live is working fine. Really don't see the point in people hacking consoles just to take down the servers.

Probably to do with the whole GeoHot thing and sony demanding the IP addresses of anyone that visited his site, regardless of intention. Sony have been very dickish of late and have made a lot of geeks angry when sony installed rootkits secretly on your computer if you bought a CD from them.

i think companies like sony & microsoft really have to be careful when it comes to dealing with hackers/crackers because once they target someone they usually get the intended result

sony were right in what they said though, consoles come with rules in the box about not using a console for other than its intended purpose, but they're now left having to rethink their network security, they'll have to separate/segment their gaming network from their normal websites to cut down on DOS attacks bringing everything down, it's pretty bad admin that it took something this drastic to wake them up, but being one of the richest companies in the world i'm sure they'll sort it

personally i think they should let people mod their units as they see fit, it voids the warranty anyway and no doubt the ps4 will have new ways of detecting cracked consoles/games n just block them off the sony servers

does not matter who the company is, they can all be hacked at some level

• Admin

Simple story is, the Playstation was hacked and Sony started court proceedings against the "jailbreaker"

http://anonops.blogspot.com/2011/04/opsony.html

They are denying the network outage has anything to do with them though! They did hack the Sony website not too long ago in response.

Nothing to do with anon.

Tomorrow a week will have passed since Sony took its Playstation Network completely offline. The company has given only the most token of updates in that time and in the meanwhile the rumor mill has been churning. However, new information has surfaced which points to Sony’s action being prompted by an unprecedented piracy threat.

Last week Sony shut down its PlayStation Network (PSN) and in the information vacuum that followed, fingers were mainly pointed at Anonymous – had they pulled off another of their paralyzing DDoS attacks? Quickly, however, Anonymous denied the accusations, even going as far as issuing a press release claiming innocence.

Then another day passed. And another. And another. This was clearly more than a DDoS but Sony were keeping very quiet – almost too quiet. Eventually Sony admitted they had been subjected to some sort of attack.

Yesterday they made another announcement, informing their user base that the whole system will be offline indefinitely. No further information from Sony but there is a man who thinks he knows what causing the extended downtime.

‘Chesh’ is a staff member from psx-scene.com, a site dedicated to hacking and modding Playstations. Together with various developers in the scene he’s been putting all the pieces together and if his theory holds, Sony has been battling their biggest crisis yet.

Chesh believes that the problem stems from the availability of a new CFW (custom firmware) for the Playstation 3. CFW’s give hardware modified functionality and REBUG, as it’s known, turns a standard PS3 into a machine which provides access to some of the PSN’s features usually reserved for developers.

REBUG, which was released on the last day of March, apparently has a trick up its sleeve in that it is able to get previously hacked Playstation 3 consoles back online after they’d been excluded by Sony. It’s not a feature built in by design, but one that users have learned how to exploit. Chesh reports that some REBUG users were initially using it to play Call of Duty on the dev networks around April 3rd. Neat enough in itself but there was a monster in the shadows.

Since REBUG allowed users to connect to a previously secure and private developer network, certain information provided by users wasn’t security checked by Sony. According to Chesh, one of the items whose authenticity was never checked was – unbelievably – credit card numbers. People could apparently make them up and get access to whatever content they wanted.

“What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content,” Chesh explained. He said that over on PSX-Scene he learned of people downloading free Sony content from the dev networks on April 7th.

As we know, Sony shut down the entire PSN on April 20th and it remains down today. Since Sony have told their customers next to nothing about the problems it has faced – including whether or not credit card information is safe – it’s a safe bet that none of the above will be confirmed or denied.

Chesh himself admits that while the above information is true, he can’t verify 100% if it’s the absolute reason why Sony pulled the PSN offline. That said, it’s a big enough problem for them to do so and if Sony has pulled the plug for another unknown reason, their problems only go deeper. And it’s hard to imagine a situation worse than this.

• Admin

Ach credit cards are covered for fraud so not that worried, what I'm more worried about is they are saying that PSN will be up in a week! That's two weeks without COD! :cry:

What I dont understand is why do these various hackers have it in for Sony? what did they do that pissed them off? :nutter:

1. secret rootkit on sony music CDs.

2. removing the ability to run linux on PS3, which originally sony had built in.

3. Suing Geohot for putting back the OtherOS feature sony had removed; then:

4. Ordering Geohots host, youtube and other social networks to hand over IP logs of whoever visited his site or viewed his videos

That's what i've gathered.

1. secret rootkit on sony music CDs.

2. removing the ability to run linux on PS3, which originally sony had built in.

3. Suing Geohot for putting back the OtherOS feature sony had removed; then:

4. Ordering Geohots host, youtube and other social networks to hand over IP logs of whoever visited his site or viewed his videos

That's what i've gathered.

Lost me on most of that Im affraid :laughing: I only use my PS3 for playing games so none of that would have effected me, was the Geo bloke not responsible for all the hacked lobbies in MW and MW2?

"But PSN is free. You have to pay for Xbox live".

You get what you pay for.

'mon the Xbox.

In 2007 Xbox live went down for a fortnight over Christmas. These hackers could just as easily got into xbox live I would be wary of what info I have on either of my machines now, prob just use top up cards rather than giving out credit card details.

In 2007 Xbox live went down for a fortnight over Christmas. These hackers could just as easily got into xbox live I would be wary of what info I have on either of my machines now, prob just use top up cards rather than giving out credit card details.

You're either a liar or misinformed.

Xbox Live wasn't 'down'. At that point the server wasn't prepared for the influx of new Christmas gamers and it had a massive strain on the servers. It was live but it was unplayable for more than it wasn't, for several days. Microsoft then gave every Live member a free arcade game as a goodwill gesture.

I think this will be Sony's excuse to charge PSN members for the online gaming experience.

I think this will be Sony's excuse to charge PSN members for the online gaming experience.

Surely the opposite. People won't pay for a second rate service (compared to the X-Box). Can't really see what's better about it but that's maybe because I haven't used it.

Surely the opposite. People won't pay for a second rate service (compared to the X-Box). Can't really see what's better about it but that's maybe because I haven't used it.

I can imagine Sony are going to charge to increase the security levels etc.

I've not played both Pudgie but from (hopefully) using common sense and assuming MS use a % of the money they make from Live for maintaining and updating the service against PSN who give it away for free (and apparently make a loss on every PS3 they make but make it back on fees they charge developers etc - this isn't gospel, just what I've read) I imagine Xbox will have the better system.

Every friend I've ever spoken to on the matter who has had both says the Xbox live service is much better but it's all subjective. I could ask ten of your friends and they could tell me PSN is superior.

It's all about opinions but I don't think anyone can say what is happening with PSN, whether it's a free service or not, is a farce.

I can imagine Sony are going to charge to increase the security levels etc.

I've not played both Pudgie but from (hopefully) using common sense and assuming MS use a % of the money they make from Live for maintaining and updating the service against PSN who give it away for free (and apparently make a loss on every PS3 they make but make it back on fees they charge developers etc - this isn't gospel, just what I've read) I imagine Xbox will have the better system.

Every friend I've ever spoken to on the matter who has had both says the Xbox live service is much better but it's all subjective. I could ask ten of your friends and they could tell me PSN is superior.

It's all about opinions but I don't think anyone can say what is happening with PSN, whether it's a free service or not, is a farce.

Fair enough. I guess it is farcical but there will be holes in the X-Box's security and I guess it was just luck that the PS3 was targeted and the X-Box not. It's about time they got there fingers oot though. 3 days to myself for the first time in months and the f**king network's down. Scum!

You're either a liar or misinformed.

Xbox Live wasn't 'down'. At that point the server wasn't prepared for the influx of new Christmas gamers and it had a massive strain on the servers. It was live but it was unplayable for more than it wasn't, for several days. Microsoft then gave every Live member a free arcade game as a goodwill gesture.

So was it not working for 2 weeks? I am only going by what the Playstation forums were saying on various threads about PSN being down, the loon has only had the xbox for 6 months so I don't know how "good" xbox live is, all I know is at the moment it works and PSN doesn't.

All my mates are on PS so until this mess is sorted Im fooked and fair scunnert :angry:

So was it not working for 2 weeks? I am only going by what the Playstation forums were saying on various threads about PSN being down, the loon has only had the xbox for 6 months so I don't know how "good" xbox live is, all I know is at the moment it works and PSN doesn't.

All my mates are on PS so until this mess is sorted Im fooked and fair scunnert :angry:

It's going to be biased if you go on either forum. It was never 'down', just unplayable for a large amount of users. I'm sitting next to a guy who had no problem at all during that period. Xbox forum says it was ropey for 2-3 days, PSN forum says down 14 days. I'd be inclined to say ropey and guess it was for a week.

@Tut, that's the only ever case I've heard of that happening.

Personally I would assume that the company that's charging you to use the service is a lot more securely protected than the one that is down, unplayable for everybody and the company itself cannot guarantee that millions of bank details haven't been stolen.

• Admin
Linky

Sony has finally come clean about the "external intrusion" that has caused the company to take down the PlayStation Network service, and the news is almost as bad as it can possibly get. The hackers have all your personal information, although Sony is still unsure about whether your credit card data is safe. Everything else on file when it comes to your account is in the hands of the hackers.

In other words, Sony's security has failed in a spectacular fashion, and we're just now finding out about it. In both practical and PR terms, this is a worst-case scenario.

What did they get?

Here is the data that Sony is sure has been compromised if you have a PlayStation Network Account:

Your name

Your address (city, state, and zip)

Country

E-mail address

Birthday

PSN password and login name

"It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained," Sony announced. While the company claims that there is "no evidence" that credit card information has been compromised, it won't rule out the possibility.

Ouch. How many people do you think have the same PSN password as their email? A lot, i'd bet. I'd change your email password pronto if it's the same.

Personally I would assume that the company that's charging you to use the service is a lot more securely protected than the one that is down, unplayable for everybody and the company itself cannot guarantee that millions of bank details haven't been stolen.

Well, obviously now this has happened then questions must be asked about PSN's security. :rolleyes: At this moment in time, yes PSN seems to be less secure than Xbox Live. But if the guy I know can be hacked into then surely anyone can?

I'm just saying it would be naive to assume something is 'unhackabale' purely because you pay a fee to use their network.

However you and I have no idea about what the levels of security are on PSN or Xbox Live. These hackers break into loads of high security systems such as banks, governments and NASA etc. In fact the more secure a system, the more of a challenge it is to them.

Remember that kid hacker that nearly started a Nuclear War in the 80's? Or was that just a film?

• Admin

Well, obviously now this has happened then questions must be asked about PSN's security. :rolleyes: At this moment in time, yes PSN seems to be less secure than Xbox Live. But if the guy I know can be hacked into then surely anyone can?

I'm just saying it would be naive to assume something is 'unhackabale' purely because you pay a fee to use their network.

However you and I have no idea about what the levels of security are on PSN or Xbox Live. These hackers break into loads of high security systems such as banks, governments and NASA etc. In fact the more secure a system, the more of a challenge it is to them.

Remember that kid hacker that nearly started a Nuclear War in the 80's? Or was that just a film?

Who's to say your mate had his x-box live hacked?

Maybe it was his email account, or another website account which he shared usernames and passwords with and just socially engineered, and then accessed his xbox live account with the details.

People have World of Warcraft accounts taken over all the time, nothing to do with Blizzard, but just because people install software that have keyloggers on them, and then steal your login names and passwords.

I wouldn't put much emphasis on the security of governments and secret services. Gary McKinnon was stoned, using his mother's computer and accessing NASA and the NSA looking for UFO's using the defualt login of 'password'. No skills required.

Ouch. How many people do you think have the same PSN password as their email? A lot, i'd bet. I'd change your email password pronto if it's the same.

Ooocha f**ker!

The part about not knowing if you're billing details have been stolen reeks of pish to me. I reckon Sony know the 'hackers' have them but it would be a complete P.R disaster to say so.

Have a search on google Tut. There were questions asked about PSN's security before this happened. In January this year they said it was all under control and there was no danger!

As Bebo says how do you know it was his Xbox live account that was hacked? Naive people have had their accounts hacked after pranksters said they knew a trick to prestige your account in CoD games and all they needed was your email address and password. If I'd fallen for that I wouldn't be admitting to it.

I haven't once said Xbox was unhackable? I'm assuming that it's more secure than PSN. Reading online that for the year 2010 Xbox Live alone generated $1billion. Surely a wedge of that will be spent on security. I dunno where the cash PSN would be using to update the service comes from when apparently they make a loss on every PS3 sold.

EDIT: http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/latest-ps3-firmware-bests-hackers-934772

Oh dear. Didn't realise they'd only just updated their systems against hackers last month!

Have a search on google Tut.

No thanks, the internet is full of lies.....

...and I never said that you said Xbox was 'unhackable', I was just making a general point. A point that I think we are all in agreement with, that this could happen to any system at any time.

I've got internet accounts all over the place, we have to rely on the relevant controlling bodies to keep them secure, just the same as we entrust banks to keep our money safe. But banks get broken into and systems get hacked, I suppose it's just a fact of life.

However, I would be dissapointed if a huge corporation like Sony were busy gathering millions of people's personal information without spending any money on the security of their system. Hopefully all will come out in the wash.

So what's the worst that can happen here? :dontknow:

No thanks, the internet is full of lies.....

...and I never said that you said Xbox was 'unhackable', I was just making a general point. A point that I think we are all in agreement with, that this could happen to any system at any time.

I've got internet accounts all over the place, we have to rely on the relevant controlling bodies to keep them secure, just the same as we entrust banks to keep our money safe. But banks get broken into and systems get hacked, I suppose it's just a fact of life.

However, I would be dissapointed if a huge corporation like Sony were busy gathering millions of people's personal information without spending any money on the security of their system. Hopefully all will come out in the wash.

So what's the worst that can happen here? :dontknow:

According to the nerds online the encription Sony uses is 128 Bit.....Whatever that means :dontknow: Seemingly the same as some banks and Amazon use.

• Admin

According to the nerds online the encription Sony uses is 128 Bit.....Whatever that means :dontknow: Seemingly the same as some banks and Amazon use.

I just read that sony was storing the passwords and credit card numbers in plaintext.

Plaintext ffs! Even AFC-Chat has passwords encrypted using salted hash cryptography.

There is absolutely no reason why any online company would store passwords in plaintext. There are no words to express how fundamentally stupid this is.