Is The Lack Of Reserve Team Football Hampering Our Youth System?

While the focus today has been on the news that Young, Howard and McNamee have unsurprisingly been told they won't be offered new contracts I read a quote on the site that made me think about the decision to get rid of the reserve team.

Aberdeen has also today announced details of the U19 squad contracts.

The following U19 players will not be making the step up to the first team squad - Nico Gibson, Dean Jarvis, Gilli Sorensen, Lewis Davidson, Callum McRobbie, Hallur Hansson, Anthony Bolger and Rhys Wilson.

Stirling Smith, Scott Ross and Scott Bain have also not been offered new contracts.

Joe Shaughnessy has been offered a new deal while Conor Devaney and Jamie Masson have signed contract extensions with the club. They follow Clark Robertson who last week signed a new contract with the Dons.

Nicky Low and Jordon Brown have also been offered deals to keep them at the club.

Neil Cooper told RedWeb "Unfortunately we have come to the time of year again where decisions have to be made again on the players futures. It is very difficult telling the players but it is part of the job.It has been particularly difficult this year as the team has done very well.

"We have been delighted with their attitude and performance levels through the season and Craig and Archie have watched them since they came to the club and but unfortunately some of the boys are not quite ready to go to the next level.

"Some are not physically ready and with no reserve football there is nowhere for them to play at the club.

"It is a setback in their careers but they can still go on and play at a very good level, especially if they show the same appetite they have shown during their time here at Aberdeen.

"Jordon and Nicky have been offered deals but they have to now have to kick on next year."

It seems that if there was a reserve team then some of these released players could have been offered a new deal. I was told by someone who has been going to Aberdeen games since the 60s that it was pretty common for players to not become regulars in the first team until their early twenties after they had spent a good couple of seasons in the reserves. It seems these days players have to prove their worth as first team players at a much younger age.

We're told how important youth development is to the future prospects of Aberdeen but it seems we might have done a lot of harm to our chances of developing our own players by dropping the reserve team. If the SPL does go to 10 teams and there is still no reserve football it becomes even harder to see how young players can be given the proper environment to develop and grow and those in charge of the game will still be scratching their heads and wondering why Scottish football continues to be second rate.

I'm absolutely gutted for the U-19 players. Especially McRobbie and Bolger who looked like two top quality strikers in the making. It's disgusting the way that young players are not nurtured in this country like in others. There is so much emphasis on Youth football and grass roots level development, but how can you expect this to bear fruit if we don't have a reserve league in which these young players can play in.

The released players will get a chance somewhere else. The SPL/SFA hold release trials around May/June at the Toryglen Centre in Glasgow for u-19 players released by their clubs. Scouts from the SPL down to the 3rd Division usually attend and there's a good chance that most will get some sort of chance.

Not sure of the logistics of it, but I'd love to see us put a reserve team in the Highland League or in the juniors, even playing midweek only or something.

Might even put us one step ahead of our rivals given we'll have a competitive reserve team.

This. I'd like to see us put an Aberdeen XI in to the Highland league, or to offer the Highland league some sort of deal where they could become a 'feeder' league for us and we could send a load of promising 19-22 year olds there on season long loans and pick up any players from the Highland league that haven't been picked up by bigger clubs.

Not sure of the logistics of it, but I'd love to see us put a reserve team in the Highland League or in the juniors, even playing midweek only or something.

Might even put us one step ahead of our rivals given we'll have a competitive reserve team.

Nae a bad shout. Probably the Aberdeenshire league would be workable these games are played midweek and are very competative

Rafa Benitez was on Football Focus recently commenting on the weakness of English reserve teams. He felt a system similar to Spain where the big clubs have 'B' teams playing in competitive leagues meant that young players were developed alot quicker.

May not be a bad idea looking at a team entered into such a league. Magennis, Paton et al would have benefited from it this season.

the reserve league was good for players coming back from injury as well.

Gave them a chance to ease themselves back into the game rather than wasting space on the bench then going on and aggravating their injury

then another six months off.

Bad move doing away with it.

Like usual though the fans were all saying, keep it, and the powers that be don't listen

Rafa Benitez was on Football Focus recently commenting on the weakness of English reserve teams. He felt a system similar to Spain where the big clubs have 'B' teams playing in competitive leagues meant that young players were developed alot quicker.

May not be a bad idea looking at a team entered into such a league. Magennis, Paton et al would have benefited from it this season.

I believe this has already been discussed by the clubs and the problem is where to play the other team.

most clubs only have one pitch and even one team is hard enough on it.

(why the f**k do they allow rugby matches in the middle of the season????)

Sorry about that it's something that has always pissed me off.

I know we have The other place but it's a bit exposed on a wild day.

Groundshare with Cove, especially when the new gaff is built?

Had a drunken idea about us buying Cove Rangers when not so long ago but it made f**k all sense the next day.

I know exactly where you are coming from.

Oh the sober light of day.

Life seems so much simpler with a few drams.

I may be totally barking up the wrong tree here but was the demise of reserve football not driven by the Old Farm during the piss millions on anyone silly era. They were not wanting to nurture talent and waste time on youth?????

Or was it purely a financial decision that was agreed by all clubs?

I may be totally barking up the wrong tree here but was the demise of reserve football not driven by the Old Farm during the piss millions on anyone silly era. They were not wanting to nurture talent and waste time on youth?????

Or was it purely a financial decision that was agreed by all clubs?

It was Aberdeen and the Old Firm that came up with the suggestion and pushed it.

Seems our fabled youth system that seems to keep Willie Miller in a job isnt delivering.

Ryan Jack, Clark Robertson, Fraser Fyvie, Jack Grimmer to name a few in the last year or so. Joe Shaughnessy, Nicky Low already promoted to the first team squad or offered new contracts for next season.

Do you expect EVERY single player in the academy to make the first team squad. We must be the only club on the planet with such expectations.

Ryan Jack, Clark Robertson, Fraser Fyvie, Jack Grimmer to name a few in the last year or so. Joe Shaughnessy, Nicky Low already promoted to the first team squad or offered new contracts for next season.

Do you expect EVERY single player in the academy to make the first team squad. We must be the only club on the planet with such expectations.

Ollie these guys havent delivered either , we have yet to see whether Fyvie actually really has it,its potential as with the rest of them, I will say it again until we can do what Hibs have done and to a lesser extent Hearts where "youngster" come in and improve the side and then become cornerstones of the team , ultimately commanding large transfer fees , then we can say its delivered. I hope it does , if not we are bust.

I was going to reply with something similiar. Thats without mentioning Peter Pawlett as well.

We are bringing through good young players every 3-4 years or so. Players like Clark, McNaughton, Anderson, Diamond (at the time...), Maguire, Considine etc etc all coming through in recent times, and this year we've got the aforementioned players.

I don't expect us to bring in a first team standard youth player every single year, the competition to find and also keep these players get tougher and tougher.

This is the most talented batch of young players i've seen at any one time at the club in a long time. I'm not expecting them all to make the grade, but hopefully if at least 2-3 of them do then I would say that the youth system has been successful.

Seems our fabled youth system that seems to keep Willie Miller in a job isnt delivering.

Willie Miller does bugger all in terms of Youth, He gets Neil Simmy to overlook everything.

In terms of development our under 18's are beating Rangers and Celtic on a 3/4 goals margin per game. So much so that they are looking into playing teams from down south !

Ollie these guys havent delivered either , we have yet to see whether Fyvie actually really has it,its potential as with the rest of them, I will say it again until we can do what Hibs have done and to a lesser extent Hearts where "youngster" come in and improve the side and then become cornerstones of the team , ultimately commanding large transfer fees , then we can say its delivered. I hope it does , if not we are bust.

Football has come a long way (or regressed a long way, whichever way you look at it) even since the "heady" days of those Hibs loons. We can not pay much in the way of transfer fees and wages so if we are producing 2 or 3 players every year or so who can come in and improve the first team squad, then in that respect, they have delivered.

Willie Miller does bugger all in terms of Youth, He gets Neil Simmy to overlook everything.

In terms of development our under 18's are beating Rangers and Celtic on a 3/4 goals margin per game. So much so that they are looking into playing teams from down south !

Absolute garbage. That's huge disrespect to Len Taylor, Scott Anderson and all the respective coaches. And for your info, we don't even have an under 18 squad.

Football has come a long way (or regressed a long way, whichever way you look at it) even since the "heady" days of those Hibs loons. We can not pay much in the way of transfer fees and wages so if we are producing 2 or 3 players every year or so who can come in and improve the first team squad, then in that respect, they have delivered.

Absolute garbage. That's huge disrespect to Len Taylor, Scott Anderson and all the respective coaches. And for your info, we don't even have an under 18 squad.

How is it huge disrespect to the Youth coaches ? Did I say that they were at fault...

Who makes the final call for players to go into the "youth" team and who leaves ?

Please justify Miller's pay check !

How is it huge disrespect to the Youth coaches ? Did I say that they were at fault...

Who makes the final call for players to go into the "youth" team and who leaves ?

Please justify Miller's pay check !

I'm not going to justify Millers paycheque, I have absolutely no idea what he does or does not do. What I was inferring is that you were disrespecting Scott Anderson, Len Taylor, Jim Crawford, Paul Craig, Scott Duncan, Marshall Phillips, Sean Beattie........I could go on and on and on, for suggesting Neil Simpson overlooks everything to do with the academy. These are guys I witness in action at least 4 times a week in their respective rolls. And I'll tell you what, yes, Len Taylor has reduced his working hours, but he is still present at Balgownie a damn sight more than what I ever see of Simmie.