The Greatest Player Ever

In alphabetical order...  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best player to have graced the game we love?

Seriously.

Despite the fact that he still has many years ahead of him in his career (hopefully), I just cannot say that I've seen a more complete footballer than Lionel Messi.

This is not a knee jerk reaction following his fantastic second goal tonight.

Been thinking this for a while now. The boy is a genius.

I've seen all of the other choices in my time through excessive TV coverage, even the distant ones on the list in multiple clips and retro footage...but the Messi min...f**king unbelievable talent.

Nae real.

Onyhoo.

Fit dis abody else hink?

Pele for me. 3 World Cup Winners medals out of 4 he played in. And the fact it was in the 50's I think he was so far ahead of his time. Can't really compare players from different times IMO, but for me he was something special. With regards Messi or Zidane, I'd pick Zidane. No reason, just prefer Zidane

I believe so, but I do not have the perspective of seeing many of the list regularly. However, I rate him above Zidane as the best player I have ever seen. I think we are privileged to have a player of his calibre in the game right now.

If any of the ones on the list that I have overlooked had the same or even more talent, then they must have been magnificent players.

Pele by a long shot.

Saw Maradonna in his heyday, see Messi routinely, unfortunately Pele was before my time... so seems a bit odd to choose someone I didn't see play regularly. Having said that, I've seen footage of Pele, also seen his games on the Classics shows that the cable networks throw on as filler from time to time.

From what I've seen of Pele he was a complete player.... and his close control was beyond belief.

And his dummy on the Uruguayan keeper is one of my favourite moments in football. One of those HOLY f**k moments that remind you why no other sport comes close to the beautiful game :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c

Van Basten a personal fave for me.

Maradona won the world cup for Argentina, nearly twice in a row. I've only seen a couple of games of Pele's, but he could do it all. So from what I've seen, wee Diego.

Messi is amazing but he needs to have a great world cup. On saying that FIFA have managed to weaken the whole thing by having it in mickey mouse football countries. It should be in South America and Europe only.

Maradona won the world cup for Argentina, nearly twice in a row.

maradona was absoluelty awful in italia 90.

he did nothing for argentina.

in fact i'd say his performances were the biggest let down in football i've ever seen.

up there with france at wc02.

check out his penalty vs. yugoslavia in the 1/4s shoot out. hilarious!!

I don't know how people can vote Messi at this stage in his career so early.

its cause he plays for barcelona.

people forget that ronaldinhio was probably even better to watch for a admittedly short 18 month-2 year period when at barca.

folk have short memories and forget how good van basten and gullit were. its all messi this and zidane that.

why doesnt anyone ever mention maldini. what a career he's had.

maradona was absoluelty awful in italia 90.

he did nothing for argentina.

in fact i'd say his performances were the biggest let down in football i've ever seen.

up there with france at wc02.

check out his penalty vs. yugoslavia in the 1/4s shoot out. hilarious!!

He got them to the final, which is no bad really. Yes, he was poor, but even a poor Maradona dragged a shyte football team to the last game.

Pele by a long shot.

Saw Maradonna in his heyday, see Messi routinely, unfortunately Pele was before my time... so seems a bit odd to choose someone I didn't see play regularly. Having said that, I've seen footage of Pele, also seen his games on the Classics shows that the cable networks throw on as filler from time to time.

From what I've seen of Pele he was a complete player.... and his close control was beyond belief.

And his dummy on the Uruguayan keeper is one of my favourite moments in football. One of those HOLY f**k moments that remind you why no other sport comes close to the beautiful game :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c

Still missed though :P

He got them to the final, which is no bad really. Yes, he was poor, but even a poor Maradona dragged a shyte football team to the last game.

he did bloody not.

that argie team was dreadfull. maradona was as bad as anyone.

in fact see his pens, he was probably worse than a man short.

its cause he plays for barcelona.

people forget that ronaldinhio was probably even better to watch for a admittedly short 18 month-2 year period when at barca.

folk have short memories and forget how good van basten and gullit were. its all messi this and zidane that.

why doesnt anyone ever mention maldini. what a career he's had.

Good shout as defenders never get the credit they deserve. The guy was brilliant, either at centre-half or left-back. Read the game brilliantly and had some pace on him too, even later on in his career. Such a shame he never won anything with Italy though.

That said on topic i'd have to say Pele. Sheer brilliance personified. He opened up the gates for silky, talented players to showboat their skills.

Pele for me, as Kelt observed he was the complete player, tremendous vision and talent. 3 world cup winners medals 814 goals in 769 games (including internationals) is the proof of the pudding in terms of longevity as well.

Zidane blew it in the world cup final and Messi as yet has not done anything on that stage. Maradona is number two.

In my opinion of course.

Good shout as defenders never get the credit they deserve. The guy was brilliant, either at centre-half or left-back. Read the game brilliantly and had some pace on him too, even later on in his career. Such a shame he never won anything with Italy though.

That said on topic i'd have to say Pele. Sheer brilliance personified. He opened up the gates for silky, talented players to showboat their skills.

THIS

if it was based on success at career level, then it probably would be maldini.

we wonder in awe at ryan giggs (and rightly so) but maldini, was around for longer, won more and also played for italy, a top national side.

i guess he got usa94 and euro 2000 runners up medals?????

i doubt there has been another player who has reached his level of excellence (in their respective position) for as long as maldini did.