Pernis, Bell Etc

Just watched the highlights form the weekends games and if Langfield had lost two of the golas that Pernis lost there would have been an 18 page witch hunt on here.

I guess its all about opinions however outwith McGregor there are no goalkeepers that are miles better than Langfield, Cammy Bell had a calamity for Hearts first goal and was found wanting at the second.

Whilst I think there is something in HH's argument (ie we aren't watching other SPL keepers enough to say if they are significantly better than Langfield, or more prone to blunders) the fact other keepers made mistakes at the weekend does not provide a basis for keeping JL.

He's a f**king bottler, and we will never win anything with him as #1

Just watched the highlights form the weekends games and if Langfield had lost two of the golas that Pernis lost there would have been an 18 page witch hunt on here.

I guess its all about opinions however outwith McGregor there are no goalkeepers that are miles better than Langfield, Cammy Bell had a calamity for Hearts first goal and was found wanting at the second.

Great post.

Like you say, a lot of it is down to opinion. I think most people know my opinion of Langfield.

A lot of people get sick and fed up when he produces a mistake, and are quick to think that he does it all the time when in actual fact he does not. I guess it's maybe down to the fact that he's been here for 6 years and people remember everything he's done wrong during that time and are unwilling to forgive him and accept that he has improved since. Every goalkeeper makes a mistake every so often.

You're right in saying that out with McGregor nobody is that much better than him. You could maybe add Kello to that in fact, he's been brilliant this season. But the names that always get mentioned: Cerny, Bell, Randolph etc are not that much better than Langfield, if at all. Having watched the St Mirren -v- Hamilton game yesterday, I think it's safe to say that Langfield is better than Cerny. Cammy Bell of Killie doesn't seem to have done enough to justify a move here.

Again though most of that is down to opinion and the fact we don't get regular access to goalkeepers in the SPL other than Langfield.

also, this whole thread smacks of insularity - "we can't find anyone better in the SPL, so Langfield must be OK".

Bollocks.

I refuse to believe that with some decent scouting and clever use of the budget, we can't find someone better than Langfield.

Same guy that had hardly played before joining was second choice as majority of clubs he was at before us. Fkn loser

Why does it matter what the man did before he joined us?

Scott Vernon couldnt buy himself a game last season, does that make him a "Fkn loser"?

The stick Langfield gets is over the top. Facts are, he is a good spl keeper. Most teams in the spl would take him as their first choice keeper. Our problem is our defence see's him put under more pressure than others. He had nothing to do on Saturday, stood scratching his arse for most of it, but when the one shot that was sailing into the top corner was put upon him he was equal to it and made a fine save.

It seems like individuals on here are hoping for him to make a mistake just so you can rip into him.

Simple question for all of those who wanted him to leave. If you got your wish, and Langfield leaves in the summer (along with Howard) who are the 2 keepers we could get in that would be of a better ability of Langfield?

Its normally an indication of some degree of ability

But it was 6 years ago! It took a season or two for him to break through anyway. He had to improve to become our number one. It's been a bumpy ride at times but I feel he has continued to improve.

Why does it matter what the man did before he joined us?

Scott Vernon couldnt buy himself a game last season, does that make him a "Fkn loser"?

The stick Langfield gets is over the top. Facts are, he is a good spl keeper. Most teams in the spl would take him as their first choice keeper. Our problem is our defence see's him put under more pressure than others. He had nothing to do on Saturday, stood scratching his arse for most of it, but when the one shot that was sailing into the top corner was put upon him he was equal to it and made a fine save.

It seems like individuals on here are hoping for him to make a mistake just so you can rip into him.

Simple question for all of those who wanted him to leave. If you got your wish, and Langfield leaves in the summer (along with Howard) who are the 2 keepers we could get in that would be of a better ability of Langfield?

Superb comments, especially the one in bold. Think it backs up the anti-Langfield agenda theory.

also, this whole thread smacks of insularity - "we can't find anyone better in the SPL, so Langfield must be OK".

Bollocks.

I refuse to believe that with some decent scouting and clever use of the budget, we can't find someone better than Langfield.

couldn't agree more harcus

Nae defending Langfield here.....BUT...........Gordon Banks in his prime would have found it hard to keep clean sheets playing behind our defence these past two seasons.

Problem is, Plug and co. f**k up time after time and its usually a forward through on Langfield

• Site Sponsor

Who says his replacement has to come from the SPL?

That's always been the case, be it Langfield, Calderwood, McGhee or Maguire.

Not my job. We employ scouts to do that. And if they can't find a better keeper than Langfield, then they either aren't good enough at their job, or they are being hindered by the club in doing their job.

I never once said that any replacement has to come from within the SPL, what I am saying is that Langfield is not a bad goalkeeper despite what people are blinded by, a pure hatred of an above average SPL goalkeeper. Langfield needs a defence infront of him. He's not had that protection in the last 4 years.

If we get a new goalkeeper and he's better than Langfield I'll be delighted but I'm quietly confident that we won't even be looking for a new number one, a number two who is young, promising and eagre to progress under Jim Leighton will be saught. Again thats just my opinion.