On 4/1/2023 at 8:10 PM, Dal Riata Don said:

I'd love to know how you feel about Shuggie Bain once you've finished it!

Took me a while to get round to starting it and I only just finished tonight. 

Got to say I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Gut punch after gut punch and a really depressing read at times. The rare uplifting moments and the diligence with which Shuggie look after/out for his mum was both touching and depressing, given what he was missing out on and being exposed to. Yet he was always there and he absolutely adored her; there was was never a moment he would've considered walking out on her. 

I thought it ended perfectly too. With Shuggie unburdened both by no longer having to look after his mother and by also finally starting to be at peace with who he is. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Got to say I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Gut punch after gut punch and a really depressing read at times. The rare uplifting moments and the diligence with which Shuggie look after/out for his mum was both touching and depressing, given what he was missing out on and being exposed to. Yet he was always there and he absolutely adored her; there was was never a moment he would've considered walking out on her. 

I thought it ended perfectly too. With Shuggie unburdened both by no longer having to look after his mother and by also finally starting to be at peace with who he is. 

Thank you for posting this!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's not a bad book by any stretch and the impact of some scenes, as you've said, are immense. 

If you'd care for my opinion, it is as follows;

In my view, I felt that it went on a bit too long. I think that there are two books in there. One to take us up to Shuggie's early teenage years and then the other could start after they move from the estate near the coal fields. The story seemed to speed up a lot after that and Shuggie got lost somewhat.

The idea that we know Shuggie though his mother and through his environment is well expressed throughout his early childhood years and this makes sense when writing about children in an adult's world. However, I wanted to get to know him a bit better as a young person: How did he make that friendship with the girl? Was that difficult for him? How does he know that she accepts him, or does she even? She just pops up out of no where, faceless, so we don't know.

In addition, as Shuggie's elder brother and sister have left, and we kind of will Shuggie to do the same, I wanted to know more about why, as a young person beginning his manhood did he not do that? Why did he stay loyal? Was it something in him or was it something he lacked? Because the book speeds up near the end we don't get those answers. Perhaps good literature makes us ask those questions.

The mum's death was over way too quickly and easily. She was such an imposing figure but she just limped off. I felt that the character deserved a bit more than that. A second installment would allow for this. 

Lastly, the bit about the grandmother's war-time pregnancy was just terrible literature. For some reason Agnes' backstory had to be completely black in the authors mind and this part had me rolling my eyes - what's next, will gramps be a nazi spy!

Again, thank you for posting your views. 

2 hours ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Thank you for posting this!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's not a bad book by any stretch and the impact of some scenes, as you've said, are immense. 

If you'd care for my opinion, it is as follows;

In my view, I felt that it went on a bit too long. I think that there are two books in there. One to take us up to Shuggie's early teenage years and then the other could start after they move from the estate near the coal fields. The story seemed to speed up a lot after that and Shuggie got lost somewhat.

I hadn't considered that but now you've said it, I agree. I also would've liked to have actually experienced a bit of Agnes' sober year, before Eugene got her back on the drink. To see what that was like for Shuggie. It may perhaps also have helped us empathise more with Shuggie's complete adoration of his mum and failure to leave. 

The idea that we know Shuggie though his mother and through his environment is well expressed throughout his early childhood years and this makes sense when writing about children in an adult's world. However, I wanted to get to know him a bit better as a young person: How did he make that friendship with the girl? Was that difficult for him? How does he know that she accepts him, or does she even? She just pops up out of no where, faceless, so we don't know.

She is introduced (albeit in whirlwind fashion) as the pal of Keir's girlfriend that Shuggie is paired with so Keir can get busy with the girl. She, like Shuggie is introduced as a person uncomfortable with who they are. She immediately identifies Shuggie's sexuality and doesn't care a bit. 

In addition, as Shuggie's elder brother and sister have left, and we kind of will Shuggie to do the same, I wanted to know more about why, as a young person beginning his manhood did he not do that? Why did he stay loyal? Was it something in him or was it something he lacked? Because the book speeds up near the end we don't get those answers. Perhaps good literature makes us ask those questions.

I guess the different between them and Shuggie was that when they left, someone else was there to look after her. If Shuggie went, no one was. 

Although, with the way she died, Shuggie did leave her. Although still there in body, he let her go. Eventually. 

The mum's death was over way too quickly and easily. She was such an imposing figure but she just limped off. I felt that the character deserved a bit more than that. A second installment would allow for this. 

Lastly, the bit about the grandmother's war-time pregnancy was just terrible literature. For some reason Agnes' backstory had to be completely black in the authors mind and this part had me rolling my eyes - what's next, will gramps be a nazi spy!

Yeah, I did find that bit all a bit bizarre. I'm not sure it really needed more blackness in Agnes' past to tell us why she is who she is. There was quite enough already to make anyone completely break down. 

Again, thank you for posting your views. 

And the same to you. It's good to get a different perspective on it. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I hadn't considered that but now you've said it, I agree. I also would've liked to have actually experienced a bit of Agnes' sober year, before Eugene got her back on the drink. To see what that was like for Shuggie. It may perhaps also have helped us empathise more with Shuggie's complete adoration of his mum and failure to leave. 

She is introduced (albeit in whirlwind fashion) as the pal of Keir's girlfriend that Shuggie is paired with so Keir can get busy with the girl. She, like Shuggie is introduced as a person uncomfortable with who they are. She immediately identifies Shuggie's sexuality and doesn't care a bit. 

I guess the different between them and Shuggie was that when they left, someone else was there to look after her. If Shuggie went, no one was. 

Although, with the way she died, Shuggie did leave her. Although still there in body, he let her go. Eventually. 

Yeah, I did find that bit all a bit bizarre. I'm not sure it really needed more blackness in Agnes' past to tell us why she is who she is. There was quite enough already to make anyone completely break down. 

And the same to you. It's good to get a different perspective on it. 

Thanks for this.

As you've said, getting another view on something, in this case a book that's made an emotional impact, makes it more meaningful.

I look forward to learning what else you read and your views on it in the future. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/6/2023 at 8:29 PM, Parklife said:

Very depressing at times. A sad reality for many. I kept waiting for some glimmer of hope and happiness but it just never came. 

Frustrating with Leek and Catherine to just leave him there and move on without him. Frustrating to see Shuggie stay to try and save Agnes when nobody can truly save anyone from addiction.

The grandparents. What did Wullie do with that baby 😭

Never read anything so sad. Couldn't even say I enjoyed it. I didn't dislike it, just so very sad.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 7:06 PM, Parklife said:

Currently reading (and really enjoying) " Crossed Off The Map: Travels in Bolivia" by Shafik Meghji. 

Well worth a read for anyone even remotely interested in the country, it's history or the Incas. 

The only country I've been to in the Americas. Sounds interesting, thanks for the recommendation. Is it more history or how things are now?

53 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

The only country I've been to in the Americas. Sounds interesting, thanks for the recommendation. Is it more history or how things are now?

It's about his journey through the country. The history of the places he visits and how they are now, the people he meets along ye way and how they view the country. 

What did you do in Bolivia? I'm hoping to visit there in the near future, so would be interested to hear your first hand experiences. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

It's about his journey through the country. The history of the places he visits and how they are now, the people he meets along ye way and how they view the country. 

What did you do in Bolivia? I'm hoping to visit there in the near future, so would be interested to hear your first hand experiences. 

love these kind of statements 

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, Parklife said:

Was there doing voluntary stuff with church folk, and I didn't travel much, so there was loads I didn't see.

The country more or less splits in two with the west in the Andes and the east in the lowland Amazon basin. They're quite different cultures, with a bit of rivalry, and I saw a good few bumper stickers supporting camba (lowlands) independence. I was in the Beni region, which is poor (open sewers & dirt roads). The people I spent time with were great, good fun. Food was basic, but I'm sure you could find fancy stuff.

Around the time I was there there there were protests and roadblocks - safe enough but inconvenient.

On 8/30/2023 at 8:26 AM, Ramandu said:

Was there doing voluntary stuff with church folk, and I didn't travel much, so there was loads I didn't see.

The country more or less splits in two with the west in the Andes and the east in the lowland Amazon basin. They're quite different cultures, with a bit of rivalry, and I saw a good few bumper stickers supporting camba (lowlands) independence. I was in the Beni region, which is poor (open sewers & dirt roads). The people I spent time with were great, good fun. Food was basic, but I'm sure you could find fancy stuff.

Around the time I was there there there were protests and roadblocks - safe enough but inconvenient.

Interesting. The author visited Trinidad, which is one of the larger cities in Beni (I think?). So you may find that section of it interesting. 

I can see South America (and Bolivia in particular) becoming a more and more popular place for tourists to visit. Given how unaffordable other parts of the world are becoming to visit especially. If Bolivia can ever get their lithium extraction efficient enough, then they could become one of the worlds biggest suppliers of a resource that's becoming more and more sought after. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...