Steam

honestly, the people who came up wi this concept are laughing all the way to the bank because they are pricks.

i concede, its a good idea to get games to the masses immediately - no need to go to the shop, just buy it and download so your playing it within an hour or 4 rather than waiting a day or 2 to go and buy the thing....but tis an utter utter c**t for the product registration.

i had to install steam to play fm2010 but i immediately got rid as i hate the damn thing, i have no need for it at all.

all was fine till today when i went into a cash generator and found a copy of killing floor for 2.99. cant find this anywhere for less than

honestly, the people who came up wi this concept are laughing all the way to the bank because they are pricks.

i concede, its a good idea to get games to the masses immediately - no need to go to the shop, just buy it and download so your playing it within an hour or 4 rather than waiting a day or 2 to go and buy the thing....but tis an utter utter c**t for the product registration.

i had to install steam to play fm2010 but i immediately got rid as i hate the damn thing, i have no need for it at all.

all was fine till today when i went into a cash generator and found a copy of killing floor for 2.99. cant find this anywhere for less than

utter c**t rockets!!!

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, used CD Keys (whether resold or given by an individual or a store selling used goods) cannot be activated via Steam.

If you have recently purchased this product, please contact the seller to discuss a refund or exchange.

how is that a f**king solution!!! its not a defective disk, its not a software issue, its not a hardware issue, its steam/value being utter money grabbing c**ts

wont let me do jack sh*t without it. i managed to get around it wi FM but not in this case.

put the cd in and it took me straight to steam forcing me to download it. explored the cd to see if there was a way around it but i cant find one. even once i buckled and installed steam, game still says its not valid because its used which i now see on the site is part of their terms - they wont let games be played if youve bought them from online auction sites or 2nd hand vendors.

well, they got back to me saying "as already stated, used CD Keys (whether resold or given by an individual or a store selling used goods) cannot be activated via Steam"

so im sticking 2 fingers up to the man and finding a "solution" to their used cd key problem which should take another 15 mins and 3 secs apparently.

customer service = afterthough.

they have a 70% share of the games market now as more and more companies want their product going through steam. all its going to do is do more damage to the pc gamer market if you cant buy 2nd hand games. then theyll find a way to do it to console games which will fully kill the 2nd hand market which in turn means once you buy a game, theres no trading it in which also means theres no cheap section in game/gamestation/cex anymore.

hahahaha, aw man, after all that, i get it working only to find out i have to turn all the settings down to low or off and theres still a massive lag. didnt even survive the 1st wave! need to play about with it later when i can be arsed

important thing though, i have it working and have access to hundreds of maps

I can't be doing with steam either. I found the download speeds for downloading the huge patches you need to update the Football Manager games was so slow. I ended up doing it all manually without steam. Never seen any evidence of how it makes things easier, seems to me to be a terrible bit of programme design.

its a clever bit of design to get indie games to you and houses everything under one roof...but it looks like the secondary aim is to stop video game piracy and lending games to your mates.

case and point, if you want to play portal 2 co-op with someone in your house ie flat mate, you need a 2nd copy of the game

I used to think that steam was rubbish. I remember the first time they introduced it to FM that I had nothing but problems with it. I decided to give it another go when FM2011 came out purely because I didn't want to have to keep the disk in my laptop constantly. Not a single problem since... Loading time is good, can't say I've experienced any problems with the downloading of patches, they seem to go quick enough for me. Well as quick as can be expected from Cove's connections. Also another thing I found quite good about it is that it will let you register the game I think up to 3 times... Therefore 2 of my mates have also got it installed through steam on their machines and it hasn't cost them a penny. I quite like the fact that if you install through steam it gives you achievements as well on it, like you would get trophies or achievements on PS3 or Xbox360. Adds a little extra to the game I think. also really handy if you want to play a network game with your mates. Rather than the hassle I used to have to do setting up a virtual network for everyone to join all I have to do now is add my mates as friends on steam and there they are ready to play.

I know a lot of people that hate it but it's not all bad. It definitely has it's plus points.

I have never played a game through steam. It's a good way to buy games directly from downloads without discs.

That problem you had that the code had already been used is sneaking its way onto consoles with companies giving you an "Online pass" when you buy it. If you get it second hand it means you need to pay for online play.

you can download cracked copies of game .exe files, rarely lets you play on-line though and if you do it's likely you'll get caught, but it does get you playing single player versions without all the cdkey fuss, steam guards more against the multiplayer side, i'll always try and install games without steam if i can, plus steam are usually a few days late offering patches and when the steam server goes down you can't play your games, bizzare

• 1 year later...