Roland Garros 2011

Draw has just been released. Tournament kicks off on Sunday. Murray has been given a very, very good draw. Certainly the best draw in a major I can remember.

1R: Qualifier

2R: Qualifier

3R: Milos Raonic

4R: Viktor Troicki

QF: Jurgen Melzer

SF: Rafael Nadal

F: Novak Djokovic

Should be interesting, after losing his form completely for a couple of months after the Australian Open his form has been good of late. At the last masters tournament he should have ended Djokovics winning run, he came the closest anyone has this year, within two points! Also made the semis in Monte Carlo, beaten by Rafa Nadal. Milos Raonic is a talented young player, but his major weapon is his serve - Andy is at his best against big servers, so the match up should favour Murray, particularly on clay. I think Raonic will be one to watch at Wimbledon, but Murray should have no problems. Melzer could be tough though, its usually a battle whenever they play each other!

If he's back to his best, then I'd hope for the semi's which will be a good confidence booster ahead of the grass court season.

I think Nadal might win this one, even though Djokovic has won Madrid and Rome. Murray exposed him for the first time this season in Rome. I think Nadal, at Roland Garros, over five sets, will get up on him in the final.

I sense an angst about Murray now, a mental block, and I don't think he has it in him to perform when the pressure is truly on.

He crumbles, in his own mind. His tennis ability is not in question.

So I think he's going to be a nearly man, his whole career.

I sense an angst about Murray now, a mental block, and I don't think he has it in him to perform when the pressure is truly on.

He crumbles, in his own mind. His tennis ability is not in question.

So I think he's going to be a nearly man, his whole career.

He was in big trouble after the Australia Open, but over the last couple of months he really looks like he's turning things around. His clay court play has been the best I've seen from ever. He's usually a fish out of water on that surface - he pushed Nadal and Djokovic all the way recently.

This should be a fantastic tournament actually.... if everything goes to form and Djokovic faces Nadal in the final, Djokovic will have that match to break McEnroes winning streak record.

Just having a closer look, Nadal has by far the hardest draw of the top four... from the third round he has Davydenko, Verdasco, Soderling (who ended his long Roland Garros winning streak the year before last) and then Murray. However, if anyone can make it through a draw like that, it'd be Nadal.

My tip for the tournament.... David Ferrer should face Roger Nadal in the Quarter finals - I think Ferrer will beat him. Would be interesting to see the odds on Ferrer making the semis at this stage.

The form of Djokovic has been nothing short of crazy, the run he has went on is just incredible and would love if he continued, I remember saying last year that when I watched him at times he looked alright, average at times but then others he was unplayable, now he has just be unplayable in every match, I hope that if Murray gets to the final he ends his run that would be perfect.

Draw has just been released. Tournament kicks off on Sunday. Murray has been given a very, very good draw. Certainly the best draw in a major I can remember.

1R: Qualifier

2R: Qualifier

3R: Milos Raonic

4R: Viktor Troicki

QF: Jurgen Melzer

SF: Rafael Nadal

F: Novak Djokovic

Should be interesting, after losing his form completely for a couple of months after the Australian Open his form has been good of late. At the last masters tournament he should have ended Djokovics winning run, he came the closest anyone has this year, within two points! Also made the semis in Monte Carlo, beaten by Rafa Nadal. Milos Raonic is a talented young player, but his major weapon is his serve - Andy is at his best against big servers, so the match up should favour Murray, particularly on clay. I think Raonic will be one to watch at Wimbledon, but Murray should have no problems. Melzer could be tough though, its usually a battle whenever they play each other!

If he's back to his best, then I'd hope for the semi's which will be a good confidence booster ahead of the grass court season.

I think Nadal might win this one, even though Djokovic has won Madrid and Rome. Murray exposed him for the first time this season in Rome. I think Nadal, at Roland Garros, over five sets, will get up on him in the final.

not trying to be pedantic but didnt he have 2 match points against djokovic?

anyway, i think murray is nearly back to his best again definitely, but unfortunately, until he holds his nerve and wins a slam, he is always going to be considered a bottler...

i really like the guy and hope he wins one soon to prove the doubters wrong, but the longer he goes without, the more montgomerie-like he becomes.

The form of Djokovic has been nothing short of crazy, the run he has went on is just incredible and would love if he continued, I remember saying last year that when I watched him at times he looked alright, average at times but then others he was unplayable, now he has just be unplayable in every match, I hope that if Murray gets to the final he ends his run that would be perfect.

I think it would represent a huge victory if Murray could make it to the semi's against Nadal. I don't see him ever beating Nadal at Roland Garros.

Looking at the draw, I think Djokovic will make the final comfortably. Nadal has a far tougher route, but he should be there too. The final should be a fantastic occasion, particularly with McEnroes record on the line. It's tough to call, particularly as Djokovic has beaten Nadal in the last two clay court finals... however, I think things will be much closer at Roland Garos. Only Soderling has got the better of him on clay, over five sets and Nadal was definitely carrying an injury.

not trying to be pedantic but didnt he have 2 match points against djokovic?

anyway, i think murray is nearly back to his best again definitely, but unfortunately, until he holds his nerve and wins a slam, he is always going to be considered a bottler...

i really like the guy and hope he wins one soon to prove the doubters wrong, but the longer he goes without, the more montgomerie-like he becomes.

Yeah sorry, you are right.

I really hope his does it too. It would be a great pity if someone of his talent fails to win a major. It really is a joy to watch someone who is Scottish, right at the top of their sport, playing with such poise and finesse. I had the pleasure of watching him in person at the Australian Open this year and I don't think you fully appreciate just how good he is until you've seen him live. He doesn't play with power, but just has fantastic technique and a terrific array of shots.

Murray beats Eric Prodon in straight sets 4, 1 & 3. Didn't serve well, which is a worry, but his ground strokes were very impressive - particularly his forehand, which is usually his weaker side.

Simone Bolelli awaits in the second round. Bolelli served pretty well his match - 75% on first serves! A stat only bettered by Djokovic so far.... However, Murray will make him play more balls and should win again comfortably.

Yeah sorry, you are right.

I really hope his does it too. It would be a great pity if someone of his talent fails to win a major. It really is a joy to watch someone who is Scottish, right at the top of their sport, playing with such poise and finesse. I had the pleasure of watching him in person at the Australian Open this year and I don't think you fully appreciate just how good he is until you've seen him live. He doesn't play with power, but just has fantastic technique and a terrific array of shots.

Good straight sets start for him. Hope he can have a good French and set himself up for Wimbledon.

Nadal was 2-1 down to Isner but now 2-2 and 1-0 Isner with serve in final set.

Dunno if it's just an isolated incident, but it might have something to do with the new ball they're using this year. Apparently some of the players are suggesting that the balls are flying quicker through the air. This should play in to Andy favour as he prefers the faster surfaces.

FFS Murray has just gone over his ankle :(

Looks in a bad way! Easy victory though... but it'll be interesting to see what sort of shape his ankle is in tomorrow! Unfortunately I fear we might have seen the last of him in this tournament. That ankle looked really, really swollen. :ThumbsDown:

Murray was 2-5 down in the final set, but Troicki has bottled it in spectacular fashion, with Andy winning the final 5 games to take victory and a place in the Quarter Finals.

He plays Juan Ignacio Chela, who is pretty strong on clay.

Murray just seems to love a fight, he was outstanding in the last 5 games, great victory.

he won't win it any way.

as much as I'd like him to win a slam I just can't see it. He seems to sh*t his pants whenever he gets close

In the last 2 finals he has played against 2 players who were outstanding on their day,( if u watched them) and they would have beaten anyone in the world on their performances.

Murray is top quality and not far from winning a major.

In the last 2 finals he has played against 2 players who were outstanding on their day,( if u watched them) and they would have beaten anyone in the world on their performances.

Murray is top quality and not far from winning a major.

That's my interpretation. He played Federer (twice) and Djokovic while they were right at the peak of their powers. He just wasn't good enough.

Anyone who watches Andy Murray regularly would not question his bottle - today's match is a perfect example. He just hasn't been good enough. To win a Grand Slam in this era you have to do something exceptional.

If he wants to win a grand slam he's going to have to raise his game, like Djokovic has done lately. For a start, he's going to have to consistently serve a higher % of first serves and perhaps play a bit more aggressively, particularly on his forehand.

He's posh, ergo, when it comes to the crunch, he's a poof :fatshaft:

Any man worth his salt would have stopped sooking his mither's pap years ago.

She's a manic bitch of a thing, I'd come off the court and tell her to GTF, in no uncertain terms, if I were him, could be the making of him.