Stevie Smith

"Very unlikely" to come back on loan according to Brown on radio.

I can't say I'm that sorry to hear that, was a bit dissappointed with him to be honest when he came here, can't fault his effort or determination in the tackle, but he has no pace, no height and was a bit lightweight.

We should be able to find someone better.

Him and Milsom were the best players in an Aberdeen shirt last season.

I'm including the WHOLE season in that, not just from January.

I'd like him to be a Dons player, we need a decent left back, and he fits the bill.

Quite disappointed he won't be though :(

Agreed - no doubt money will now dictate and Robertson will fill that role!!

I can't say I'm that sorry to hear that, was a bit dissappointed with him to be honest when he came here, can't fault his effort or determination in the tackle, but he has no pace, no height and was a bit lightweight.

We should be able to find someone better.

You don't need to have much pace to be a full back, as for the height comment, some of the best full backs have been on the shorter side of things.

Gutted by this news, I doubt there is much better out there that we could get in.

You don't need to have much pace to be a full back, as for the height comment, some of the best full backs have been on the shorter side of things.

Gutted by this news, I doubt there is much better out there that we could get in.

Well that's not really true. You want someone who's quick enough to be able to handle pacey wingers without playing everyone onside and also for overlapping the midfielder on the wing.

Hopefully we'll get Smith back.

I've no idea why many of you think he's a loss, but it wouldn't do if we all had the same opinions, he was/is a decent player, nothing more.

I refuse to believe we can't get someone better.

I think K, and I put myself in this category, that we have been subjected to such abject pish at full back , that we finally signed someone who is a natural full back and looked like he knew what he was doing, may have clouded my judgement somewhat

Well that's not really true. You want someone who's quick enough to be able to handle pacey wingers without playing everyone onside and also for overlapping the midfielder on the wing.

Hopefully we'll get Smith back.

I'd have someone with a good footballing brain over a pacey player at full back, Thuram was never a lightening quick full back but he coped against quick players, i totally get what you are saying though.

I've no idea why many of you think he's a loss, but it wouldn't do if we all had the same opinions, he was/is a decent player, nothing more.

I refuse to believe we can't get someone better.

Who could we get in that's better then?

I'd have someone with a good footballing brain over a pacey player at full back, Thuram was never a lightening quick full back but he coped against quick players, i totally get what you are saying though.

Bob Harris at Queen of the South is a player who could step up easily.

A fraction of the wage of Smith, he might cost

Look at it this way though. Without pace Ricky Foster would be a terrible player but he was the only one really able to stop Ivan Sproule a few years ago. Much more clever footballers struggled at full back against Sproule who was nothing but a speed merchant.

I think K, and I put myself in this category, that we have been subjected to such abject pish at full back , that we finally signed someone who is a natural full back and looked like he knew what he was doing, may have clouded my judgement somewhat

Yeah, could be it, don't get me wrong he was decent for us, but I'd hoped for more, he didn't let us down, but I can't recall ever coming away from a game and thinking Smith had a great game today. I'm sure there was one game, maybe St Mirren away, in the cup, where he was murder, although not many players got pass marks that day. Having a full back playing at full back is definitely the way to go though, I think unlike MM, Brown knows that. :)

Look at it this way though. Without pace Ricky Foster would be a terrible player but he was the only one really able to stop Ivan Sproule a few years ago. Much more clever footballers struggled at full back against Sproule who was nothing but a speed merchant.

This. I actually shivered at the thought of Sproule coming up against Smith next season because, although nothing to do with his ability, poor Stevie would get torn inside out. It was exactly why Mikey Hart always got the better of him. I remember commentators saying they reckoned he was one of the only players in the SPL quicker than him and due to his ability to defend at the same time, we were one of the only teams who could cope with Sproule.

Think some folk have been on the glue, Stevie Smith looked the part last season and was exposed regularly to the lazy ,but very talented, cxnt playing in front of him.I would love to see him back next season, whether we can get better remains to be seen.

I agree with you. I think he improved our defence when he was in it and would like to have seen him back.

Sproule hugely over rate player along with a lot of the other Hibs "starlets" that were sold for inflated prices

No he wasn't, none of the Hibs fans I know thought he was a great player, they loved him cos he loved the club, even brought his family members over to introduce them to us all when I was out with a load of my mates (Hibees) they loved that he was grounded, not full of himself & they all knew he was just lightning fast & that's why he was higher rated than he was.

Besides how many players have scored a hatrick at Ibrox & not been slightly rated?

He had some skills but his pace was his main attribute. Hibs fans knew this.

Smith in a defensive capacity has a full back I have no problem with.

I know the primary job is to defend, however last season I can think of plenty of times where he started running up the wing, heaps of space and then decided to stop and hit the ball into the middle. I'm guessing he didn't trust Aluko on the overlap but that was one of the most irritating things for me last season. He did it several times a game. I know he's a defender and pace isn't his strong point but some of the chances he had to do it were golden.

I honestly reckon if he'd done that regularly we would have won at least 3 more games, no exaggeration. However I will concede at some point it would cost us a goal and possibly a point. Particularly when trailing games there is no excuse. 0-0 or in the lead fair enough, don't take any chances.