1956 European Cup

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/apr/29/joy-of-six-european-cup-semi-memories

First time I've heard that before. I was under the impression that the head of the SFA was closely linked to Hibs in some way so they were selected instead of us for the first European Cup.

What I've heard as well.

Dons won the league, SFA chairman was linked with Hibs and they were nominated to participate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/apr/29/joy-of-six-european-cup-semi-memories

First time I've heard that before. I was under the impression that the head of the SFA was closely linked to Hibs in some way so they were selected instead of us for the first European Cup.

Same here too, was always under the impression it was an SFA thing. I don't get it though, why would it give one of the teams an unfair advantage?

Same here too, was always under the impression it was an SFA thing. I don't get it though, why would it give one of the teams an unfair advantage?

According to Wikipedia we didn't have floodlights until 1959 so if we had played in the European Cup it seems we might not have been able to use Pittodrie. I wonder what the nearest ground with floodlights back then would have been? I'm guessing one, if not both the Dundee clubs.

According to Wikipedia we didn't have floodlights until 1959 so if we had played in the European Cup it seems we might not have been able to use Pittodrie. I wonder what the nearest ground with floodlights back then would have been? I'm guessing one, if not both the Dundee clubs.

couldnt have been them, they barely have electric now :rolleyes:

Good article, thanks for posting. Reminds me of how special the European Cup was. It's quite nostalgic because there's some prestigious teams in there (e.g. Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Red Star Belgrade, Anderlecht, Cologne, Aberdeen haha) who you don't see in the latter stages very often anymore. Instead people seem to lap up the likes of Chelsea v Liverpool year on year with just one or two Brits on the field.

Haha, how many 50 pences would we have needed for the meter?????? Maybe we could have just got a local to hook it up to the street lights!

Farthings, Ha'pennys, pennies, thrupneybits or tanners maybe.

Late 60's or early 70's it was a shilling meter. That's 12 pennies or 5 of your new p's.

Actually it was quite probably 5p coins as decimilisation came in in 1971?

I think I remember the meter changing to 2 bob or a florin.

Post decimilisation folk are nae really as thick as we think, it's just that they never learned to coont in ridiculous units like 240 pennies to the pound, or 16 ounces in a pound ( weight ). 8 pints in a gallon or 4 quarts if ye wish to be pedantic.

Help ma christ I've failed because I canna mind how many yards in a mile.

1500x39/36 = 1625 yards in a metric mile but a real mile is a bit mare and of course there are slightly mare than 39 inches in a metre, so I'll go for something obvious like 1760 yards in a mile.

I dinna mind the 56 cup final though!

Farthings, Ha'pennys, pennies, thrupneybits or tanners maybe.

Late 60's or early 70's it was a shilling meter. That's 12 pennies or 5 of your new p's.

Actually it was quite probably 5p coins as decimilisation came in in 1971?

I think I remember the meter changing to 2 bob or a florin.

Post decimilisation folk are nae really as thick as we think, it's just that they never learned to coont in ridiculous units like 240 pennies to the pound, or 16 ounces in a pound ( weight ). 8 pints in a gallon or 4 quarts if ye wish to be pedantic.

Help ma christ I've failed because I canna mind how many yards in a mile.

1500x39/36 = 1625 yards in a metric mile but a real mile is a bit mare and of course there are slightly mare than 39 inches in a metre, so I'll go for something obvious like 1760 yards in a mile.

I dinna mind the 56 cup final though!

Sir,

I tip my hat to your vast knowledge. Every day is a school day.