• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now as the team stands I think we're easily bottom 6 material.

We definately need at least another 3 or 4 good players to make us a top 6 side. We might struggle pre-season due to lack of signings. This could effect morale and with potentially an unknown keeper behind an untested back 4, we COULD end up in a mess early doors.

It's vital we start the season well, get lucky avoiding serious injuries and build momentum. No doubt this is why many are worried because we won't have all the players in place prior to the pre-season friendlies, thus miss the opportunity to gel the side as early as possible.

I don't believe we'll get relegated, though our typical run of injuries could seriously drop us in the sh*te.

I think we're a good candidate for the bottom 6, though., because I really don't see us filling all the positions that need filled.

Unless we see a lot of movement, by which I mean at LEAST four more players... and I'm not talking about promoted kids or players back from injury, I'm talking about four ACTUAL new signings (none of this "like a new signing" pish) then I'd speculate maybe a quarter final in the cups and a safe 8th in the league.... club expectations/ambition well and truly met.

What is the point to this thread? Not a ball kicked, full squad not assembled, weeks till the season starts, and folk are predicting relegation etc etc. This type of thread is nothing but detrimental. Pre season should be a time for looking ahead, being positive, giving the team, and management a clean slate regardless of what has happened. Lets just wait and see after the first few games of the season. And not pre season. Christ, the pre season we had under Paterson we won a trophy - pre season means nothing. People need to stop all the panicking!

Can't see Dunfermline being worse than Hamilton, and there was very little between us and St Mirren at the end last season.

If we don't improve there's a decent chance of us being in a huge battle down there.

Can't imagine Mawene being worse than Diamond, so that's a start. Really need to get a shift on though, since every SPL club bar Rangers have signed more players than we have.

Yeah. Not sure how long we can leave it. Given the number of players that have left the club and the number that have come in... Not that long till pre-season friendlies as well. Don't even have a keeper. Read today that clangers is due to return to training in Sept. Personally I wouldn't be relying too much on that...

I think this thread is valid given our last two seasons and considering the players we've lost and not replaced yet. It's only a discussion after all with pre-season only weeks away. I think the headline PRE-SEASON CONCERNS would have been better than RELEGATION right enough. Personally I have faith CB will have everything sorted in time, but it's easy to see why folk are worried given AFC's track record in the transfer market.

Diamond out - Mawene in

Young out - Milsom in

McNamee out - Foster back from loan

Blackman out - Mackie back from injury (unfortunately)

Hartley out - ?

Howard out - ?

Smith out - ?

Vudj out - ?

McGuire out - ?

Aluko ?

Langfield - won't be ready till about September

Folly - will have to be eased back into full fitness

Fyvie - will have to be used more sparingly

Pawlett - talented but injured every couple of games

Jack - another young guy flung in at the deep end due to injuries

I think this thread is valid given our last two seasons and considering the players we've lost and not replaced yet. It's only a discussion after all with pre-season only weeks away. I think the headline PRE-SEASON CONCERNS would have been better than RELEGATION right enough. Personally I have faith CB will have everything sorted in time, but it's easy to see why folk are worried given AFC's track record in the transfer market.

Diamond out - Mawene in

Young out - Milsom in

McNamee out - Foster back from loan

Blackman out - Mackie back from injury (unfortunately)

Hartley out - ?

Howard out - ?

Smith out - ?

Vudj out - ?

McGuire out - ?

Aluko ?

Langfield - won't be ready till about September

Folly - will have to be eased back into full fitness

Fyvie - will have to be used more sparingly

Pawlett - talented but injured every couple of games

Jack - another young guy flung in at the deep end due to injuries

Good summary. So, in other words, at this point in time we have a much weaker squad than we had last season, and last seasons squad was relegation fodder barring a handful of games following Browns arrival. Perfectly valid concern.

Given we've finished 9th the last two seasons in a row, and given the lack of investment in the playing staff, I don't see why there's an issue with talking about relegation...

We're currently among the sides who battle to beat the drop, whether people happen to like it or not.

Talking about winning the SPL, now THAT would be f**king idiotic.

In all honesty its a decent and frankly open question. At present I would say St Mirren who took 9 points off of us last season have made a couple of decent signings Thompson is an experienced striker and Hibs have also taken O'Conner on. Another handful who can score and knows how to score. I am concerned however I hope to God there are still 5 or 6 signings to come including a striker capable of scoring goals. I've made my fealings perfectly clear about our striker situation and it needs to be addressed fast.

Relegation is a distict possibility with the current squad, why people feel the need to be offended by such a suggestion baffles me. Brown and Knox have a lot of hard work still to do.

In all honesty its a decent and frankly open question. At present I would say St Mirren who took 9 points off of us last season have made a couple of decent signings Thompson is an experienced striker and Hibs have also taken O'Conner on. Another handful who can score and knows how to score. I am concerned however I hope to God there are still 5 or 6 signings to come including a striker capable of scoring goals. I've made my fealings perfectly clear about our striker situation and it needs to be addressed fast.

Relegation is a distict possibility with the current squad, why people feel the need to be offended by such a suggestion baffles me. Brown and Knox have a lot of hard work still to do.

Thompson is past it and O'Connor has lost it still over a month til the season begins give them time ffs.

Personally I think there is enough negative attitudes to the club without this thread. I think its a valid discussion after the season has started, and our squad assembled. But weeks before the season has started, and only a couple of weeks since the transfer window opened, there is plenty of time. Although it does show how far back the club has gone. Can't imagine Aberdeen being talked about as relegation candidates by their own fans in June ever before.

Personally I think there is enough negative attitudes to the club without this thread. I think its a valid discussion after the season has started, and our squad assembled. But weeks before the season has started, and only a couple of weeks since the transfer window opened, there is plenty of time. Although it does show how far back the club has gone. Can't imagine Aberdeen being talked about as relegation candidates by their own fans in June ever before.

For what it's worth I don't think we will go down. But hear this, Craig Brown has stated he is happy to go into the season with the strikeforce we have. Bearing in mind we could muster only 39 goals in the league by the entire squad this needs questioned. Craig Brown has stated Langfield is his no1 and any keeper signed is back up. Bearing in mind Langfield is out until October, earliest, we are without his no1, however pish he may be, for the first 4 months of the season. This has to be questioned. Despite what Tup and his Tuppettes may say in another thread, we need to be signing players of a better quality than what we have, and we need at least 6 new additions in my book, and we need them in quick sharp.

We need to get our sh*t together before the start of the season, not after it has started.

So far, 9 out, 1 in.

Our paper thin squad is currently at a net loss of -8 players.

Not fantastic players, granted, but largely first team players all the same.

Dicking around until the season is upon us hasn't worked the last, oh, ten seasons... the mantra "Pleeeeeeenty time to sign players" usually comes back to bite us on the arse. We're also allegedly looking at some part time Spaniard, which isn't a spectacularly positive sign as to the quality of player we're looking at. It may be a one-off, history tells us it's not.

If you're seeing a lot of negativity it's because many of us know how Aberdeen Football Club operates... and that's extremely badly.

We need to get our sh*t together before the start of the season, not after it has started.

So far, 9 out, 1 in.

Our paper thin squad is currently at a net loss of -8 players.

Not fantastic players, granted, but largely first team players all the same.

Dicking around until the season is upon us hasn't worked the last, oh, ten seasons... the mantra "Pleeeeeeenty time to sign players" usually comes back to bite us on the arse. We're also allegedly looking at some part time Spaniard, which isn't a spectacularly positive sign as to the quality of player we're looking at. It may be a one-off, history tells us it's not.

If you're seeing a lot of negativity it's because many of us know how Aberdeen Football Club operates... and that's extremely badly.

Haha, I remember fighting with many of your posts years ago, yet here I am agreeing with almost everything you post these days. I hate to see Aberdeen in this position nor does it give me any satisfaction but what Kelt says above is 200% spot on.

Come on Wiggy, Craigie and Archie get it sorted out and fasr pleazzzzzzzzzzze!

Can't see Dunfermline being worse than Hamilton, and there was very little between us and St Mirren at the end last season.

If we don't improve there's a decent chance of us being in a huge battle down there.

Obviously things will change, but if the season started tomorrow, then I certainly think you three, perhaps 4 or 5 teams who'll be vying to avoid relegation.

I think Aberdeen and St. Mirren have the worst squads on paper at the moment. Having watching Calderwoods Nottm Forest sides, regularly over a two-year period, I know he is absolutely clueless. I reckon Hibs have got the most quality out of the strugglers, the likes of Murray, O'Connor and Sproule are all guys who can play in the SPL, however the ineptitude of their manager will drag them down. Kilmarnock have lost a number of talent players and their new manager is completely untested - I predict they'll struggle.

For me, as things stand, that's your current bottom 4. I think Dunfermline will have decent year this season - by decent I mean I doubt they'll be fighting relegation - in recent years the promoted teams have always done well, riding upon the crest of a wave. St. Johnstone have lost a couple of players, most notably Duberry, so it'll be interesting to see how they pull up this season. Inverness I don't think they'll be safe from the bottom 6 either and I don't particularly think they're much stronger than St. Johnstone or Dunfermline - but Terry Butcher is proven in this division - he knows how to line-up and he knows how to keep teams in this division.

If the season started tomorrow, and their were no further comings or goings for any side, this would be my bottom six prediction:

7. Dunfermline

8. St. Johnstone

9. Hibernian

10. Kilmarnock

11. Aberdeen

12. St. Mirren

Just so everyones clear, I'm not having a go at anyone, or being negative. Clearing my mind totally and using the current wikipedia squad lists, this is where I feel things are at the moment. There is a long way to go before the season starts though!

If we add three of four more players we should be completely safe from relegation (barring a couple of injuries to the likes of Mawene and Vernon) - as threadbare are our squad is, St. Mirren look like a very poor side indeed. Unless Thompson make a massive impact for St. Mirren, I could see them being cut adrift by January.