Don't envy the role he has been given. Sounds like he has to fundamentally change the way we coach football in this country at all levels. However I fully expect a "My mate Mark will sort out Scotland - Jimmy Calderwood exclusive" story in the papers in the not too distance future.

Former Den Haag and Southampton boss Mark Wotte has been chosen as Scotland's first performance director.

The 50-year-old is a former technical director with Feyenoord and has managed clubs in Egypt, Qatar and Romania as well as his homeland and England.

Wotte was in his second spell at Egyptian top-flight side Ismaily.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan said: "This is the key appointment that could turn around Scottish football."

The SFA had stated before announcing the appointment that the job would not be filled by a top coach or manager as the post would require a combination of coaching and administrative experience, as well as political awareness.

And Regan said that the successful candidate would be asked to "develop a new Scottish style of play" and suggested that the new creation of the role was the single most important recommendation in the Review of Scottish Football carried out by former First Minister Henry McLeish.

Wotte will focus on developing elite players from the grassroots to the senior men's and women's national teams in a role that had been honed following "extensive consultation with the league bodies, SPL and the SFL, and their members, along with key players in Scottish sport, including Sir Alex Ferguson, David Moyes, Walter Smith and Ian McGeechan".

He will work alongside team coach Craig Levein, who said: "He was the best candidate by a mile. He ticks all the boxes."

"This is a pivotal day for the future of the game in this country.

"I have long championed the cause for a more consistent and collaborative approach to elite player development and Mark's arrival gives us that opportunity.

"He will be a vital part of the machinery in the conveyor belt of talent in this country and will play a key role in assisting the clubs and the Scottish FA in maximising the potential of our most talented footballers."

The Dutchman was a defender with Vlaardingen, Feyenoord, Den Haag and SVV before injury ended his playing career in 1986.

During his long managerial career, Wotte's clubs have included Den Haag, Utrecht, Den Bosch, Willem II Tilburg and Waalwijk in his homeland, Qatar outfit Al Ahli, Romanians Universitatea Craiova and Southampton.

Wotte, who also had a spell in charge of Netherlands Under-21s, had joined the Saints in 2008 to look after the youth set-up but was appointed head coach in January 2009 following the resignation of Jan Poortvliet.

However, after the Championship outfit went into administration, he was not retained following the takeover by Markus Liebherr.

Scotland have failed to qualify for the last six major international competitions and a performance director was one of the recommendations to come from Henry McLeish's Review of Scottish Football.

Wotte, who has been given a rolling contract and will be based in Scotland, says that his new country's performance leading up to the 2014 World Cup will be the test of whether he has been successful in his new role.

"It is a hell of a challenge, but I'm pleased to be here," he said.

"This is a key role in the modern game and it is my intention to help restore Scottish football to its former glory.

"Qualifying for major championships again is the main priority, but we can no longer leave it to chance: Scottish football must work collectively and strategically to ensure we cultivate the most talented players at all age groups.

"This country is renowned across the world for its unparalleled pride and passion: now we must add performance to those qualities once again."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13886219.stm

Cracker.

This bit tickled me.

"I was watching my grandson playing in Holland and the facilities were incredible. Every kid has a ball. The more touches of the ball you get, the better you're going to be, it's quite simple."

So why did you insist on getting our team to hoof it in the air to Lee "on my arse" Miller?

Anyway he's gone now.

Cracker.

This bit tickled me.

"I was watching my grandson playing in Holland and the facilities were incredible. Every kid has a ball. The more touches of the ball you get, the better you're going to be, it's quite simple."

So why did you insist on getting our team to hoof it in the air to Lee "on my arse" Miller?

Anyway he's gone now.

That man had a rather unenvious role as an Aberdeen striker. Deserves credit for managing double figures the season we were in Europe.

Anyway he's gone now.

god almighty i cant stand JC anymore. anything to do with dutch folk, hes straight in there. probably phoned up several journo's trying to get them to print his take on the matter.

also find it f**king ironic that JC of all people has an opinion on whats going wrong with youth development.

heres a hint - managers picking dud dutch amateurs instead of giving existing youth players a chance. also managers who turn a blind eye to the drink culture that has ruined several blossoming careers when they should have been giving stricter guidance - see paton and diamond as prime examples of good young talent who were left to go to sh*t.

Cracker.

This bit tickled me.

Anyway he's gone now.

I'm just glad he brought his wosdom to AFCF in his time here and helped completely revamp our thinking at youth development level at our club.