Help With Nuts

forbesz1903

I need about 4 or 5 nuts which fit an 8mm socket and have been told they have an M5 thread. However the ones I'm away to buy have a "pitch" of 0.8mm.

What does "pitch" mean and is it likely i need to know the pitch of the nut i need or will this M5 thread fit onto the bolt I'm screwing onto assuming M5 thread is correct.

Thanks In advance.

to be honest i'd prefer not to bother with the hassle of phoning someone and buy a half dozen or dozen off the interweb so they appear some time this week.

seems like if a sensible thing to do seen as you don't know what you need as aposed to phoning an expert.

The pitch on metric threads is the distance from the crest of one thread to the next. Off the top of my head (dont have the Zeus book to hand) M5 x 0.8 is the standard pitch for M5. So when the thread is quoted as M5 it should be assumed as standard/course pitch.

OK, the standard nuts which I'm replacing as I'm missing a few has built in washers, what difference will it make if the replacements do not have such a feature?

OK, the standard nuts which I'm replacing as I'm missing a few has built in washers, what difference will it make if the replacements do not have such a feature?

Grampian Fasteners will also help. Better to replace with identical , assuming that the right math went into the original design. Deviating slightly from original may make negligible difference.....it's nae brain surgery. However , until you do the math yourself( or check with the manufacturer ) , it's anybody's guess. Life is full of these little uncertainties.

Grampian Fasteners will also help. Better to replace with identical , assuming that the right math went into the original design. Deviating slightly from original may make negligible difference.....it's nae brain surgery. However , until you do the math yourself( or check with the manufacturer ) , it's anybody's guess. Life is full of these little uncertainties.

It's maths not math. :dc:

f**king Americans. :tup:

Forbes a larger washer would be fine providing the hole isn't too big that the nut runs right through it.

It's maths not math. :dc:

f**king Americans. :tup:

Forbes a larger washer would be fine providing the hole isn't too big that the nut runs right through it.

:laughing:

Why do you prefer 'maths' to 'math' , boofon ? 'Math' is the more economical , I saved a couple or three milliseconds of my life by not having to type the ' s '.

No , I like my American cousins as much as my English , so it's not a problem for me.

'Math' it stays.

No ye didnae ye auld c**t. Ye used way more time explaining that ye'd saved time :P

A very necessary sacrifice required for further philosophical debate and therefore arguably , time well spent , Byen.

You could be a bittie mair economical wi' yer chik , like. :dc:

Pitch Size, put simply, is a way of measuring how many threads you have on a screw, per a set unit of distance.

It's an arbitrary distance (usually one inch) over the number of threads of the screw present in that distance. In a normal fraction, like 3/8, the denominator is on the bottom (The total number) and the numerator (What "slice" of the total number you have) is on the top. For Pitch Size, the fraction is reversed.

For Pitch size, the Denominator ( one inch) is on top, with the number of threads below. So a screw might have a pitch of 1/8, meaning for every one inch, there are eight threads present.

Another way of showing pitch size is to divide the distance (e.g. 1", 25.4mm) by the number of threads.

So Pitch Size 25.4/12 (12 threads per 25.4mm of the Screw) gives a Pitch Size of 2.1 (Rounded).

Pitch Size, put simply, is a way of measuring how many threads you have on a screw, per a set unit of distance.

It's an arbitrary distance (usually one inch) over the number of threads of the screw present in that distance. In a normal fraction, like 3/8, the denominator is on the bottom (The total number) and the numerator (What "slice" of the total number you have) is on the top. For Pitch Size, the fraction is reversed.

For Pitch size, the Denominator ( one inch) is on top, with the number of threads below. So a screw might have a pitch of 1/8, meaning for every one inch, there are eight threads present.

Another way of showing pitch size is to divide the distance (e.g. 1", 25.4mm) by the number of threads.

So Pitch Size 25.4/12 (12 threads per 25.4mm of the Screw) gives a Pitch Size of 2.1 (Rounded).

Well in laymans terms i reffered to the metric pitch being the measurement from the cret of each thread which in the case of M5 is 0.8mm.

You have reffered to imperial threads which are given as a TPI so when we speak about a 1/2 inch UNC its a 13 TPI, of course you can work out the pitch but unless you are programming a cnc machine you have very little need to. Metric threads are not reffered to in TPI (which you are giving a conversion for) normally hence the pitch given as a distance.

f**king degree students think a nut is something a monkey eats. In this case RusselH is correct and terrorfex is trying to make an imperial system work for a metric thread which is just plain bloody wrong. Of course you could have used the magic of google to find this out:

fred is dead

As for a metric thread pitch consulting the zues book says 0.8 is indeed satndard

As for the fact your car bolts already have washers this can mean many things. There are heaps of different types of washers but I would imagine in a car they wil be locking washers and not a simple penny washer due to the amount of vibration that will take place.

Well in laymans terms i reffered to the metric pitch being the measurement from the cret of each thread which in the case of M5 is 0.8mm.

You have reffered to imperial threads which are given as a TPI so when we speak about a 1/2 inch UNC its a 13 TPI, of course you can work out the pitch but unless you are programming a cnc machine you have very little need to. Metric threads are not reffered to in TPI (which you are giving a conversion for) normally hence the pitch given as a distance.

I didn't know metric threads were crest to crest, versus Imperial Pitch as I explained. Cheers for the heads up.

f**king degree students think a nut is something a monkey eats. In this case RusselH is correct and terrorfex is trying to make an imperial system work for a metric thread which is just plain bloody wrong.

I acknowledge the way I did it wasn't the proper or established way ... But am fair sure the maths checks out. Still, as a f**king degree student, I'm sticking to the classroom (And later, the office) where I belong.

I didn't know metric threads were crest to crest, versus Imperial Pitch as I explained. Cheers for the heads up.

I acknowledge the way I did it wasn't the proper or established way ... But am fair sure the maths checks out. Still, as a f**king degree student, I'm sticking to the classroom (And later, the office) where I belong.

Good. leave the real work to us! :laughing: