Nae Happy

phoenix

The companies that know who you are, where you live and what you like.

Facebook

The latest skirmish involving privacy on the world's dominant social network is about its use of facial recognition software, which suggests your name to friends if they upload pictures which include you. Yes: Facebook knows what you look like, as well as where you live, who your friends are, and what you had for lunch yesterday

The companies that know who you are, where you live and what you like.

Facebook

The latest skirmish involving privacy on the world's dominant social network is about its use of facial recognition software, which suggests your name to friends if they upload pictures which include you. Yes: Facebook knows what you look like, as well as where you live, who your friends are, and what you had for lunch yesterday

1. Facebook. You know what you're getting into when you sign up. Even if you don't it won't take long before you do. I signed up at the request of The GLA and Buck but have now binned it due to privacy issues. Emails every other day from folk I don't know or don't like asking to be my friend. No thanks. The privacy settings are really hard to find that much is true. Sky TV are the same. Piss easy to upgrade a package online but you canna do it online if you want to downgrade. That instead takes a phone call and 10 minutes of dodging specail offers.

2. Google. No issues here. I only asearch for things that interest me and if they use that data to recommend things for me then all the better.

3. Acxiom. Junk Mail takes approximately one second to delete. It's a pest if you've been on holiday and need to have a quick scan to see if anything important ended up in junk by mistake but to be honest if it's an important email the chances are you'll get another one to remind you. I know if I send someone an email asking a question then if I don't get an answer within the alloted timeframe I ask again but this time with a read receipt.

All in all only Facebook hoses me off out of those three.

Ye dig?

I agree will all your points , boofon.....except Acxiom , of which I've no experience.

This lack of privacy thing is beginning to grip my thruppennies , the f u c k e r s are messing with our civil liberties. :angry2:

I agree will all your points , boofon.....except Acxiom , of which I've no experience.

This lack of privacy thing is beginning to grip my thruppennies , the f u c k e r s are messing with our civil liberties. :angry2:

Surely Facebook can only have your information if you sign up.

Cancel your facebook. You know it makes sense.

A website for gossips and curtain twitchers.

See, normally yer the voice of reason and sensibility 'Nixx (except when it comes tae Michael f**kin Buble :angry2: ) but ye've got the wrang end of the stick this time.

Naebody forced ye tae sign up tae pussjotter. Naebody telt ye tae type in yer mumbo-jumbo astrology stuff or whitever else ye've put on there. All that info will go somewhere and as none of us ken where the interweb will go in the future, yer info is at the mercy of those developments. If ye want tae keep yer private stuff private, dinna tell all and sundry.

See, normally yer the voice of reason and sensibility 'Nixx (except when it comes tae Michael f**kin Buble :angry2: ) but ye've got the wrang end of the stick this time.

Naebody forced ye tae sign up tae pussjotter. Naebody telt ye tae type in yer mumbo-jumbo astrology stuff or whitever else ye've put on there. All that info will go somewhere and as none of us ken where the interweb will go in the future, yer info is at the mercy of those developments. If ye want tae keep yer private stuff private, dinna tell all and sundry.

Aye....weel min.....ah'm nae as stupid as you seem tae think I am. I hiv ensured that I hiv put a minimum of my personal information oot there and nae jist facebook.

But these effin algorithims mean that they can work oot an affa lot mair aboot you that you probably ken aboot yersel'.

AND they share when they say they do not. Their mission statement may state that they will not share your information but how can they guarantee this when everybody knows that disgruntled employees are capable of anything in their quest for revenge?

Social networking is probably still a useful social phenomenon but the benefits are being undermined by the unscrupulous. Some people will do anything for the Yankee Dollar

But these effin algorithims mean that they can work oot an affa lot mair aboot you that you probably ken aboot yersel'.

Yer nae wrang there, but some fowk are awfy naive. Its amazing whit ye can find oot fae google if fowk have signed up tae pussjotter or bebo or myspace etc, especially if their name is relatively uncommon and therefore easy tae filter oot unrelated stuff.

A stalker's wet dream, no that eh wid ken. :itch-chin:

Yer nae wrang there, but some fowk are awfy naive. Its amazing whit ye can find oot fae google if fowk have signed up tae pussjotter or bebo or myspace etc, especially if their name is relatively uncommon and therefore easy tae filter oot unrelated stuff.

A stalker's wet dream, no that eh wid ken. :itch-chin:

Correct. I just googled boofon and see this was the top site. :hysterical:Urban Dictionary

Dinna worry, yer of the wrang gender for me tae be googling ye.

Glad to hear it. The Junk Mail thing that Phoen mentioned is a strange one. I've never searched for penis extensions or sex change operations yet everyday I seem to get an email stating that I can get them for much cheapness.

What gets me is that both these emails seem to come from the same source.

WIthout being too silly about it why would I want a penis extension and a sex change? Surely one counteracts the other?

However I will take $5 million from the Nigerian who offered it to me today.

How anyone falls for this crap in this day and age is beyond me.

Don't be a fool.

Morons standard response:

'If you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to hide'

Oh to be a perfect human who does no wrong, and who is delighted to be spied on 24/7.

Rather than Libya or Syria or anywhere else, the Yanks could start to set the world straight by carpet bombing the Facebook server HQ, do us all a f**king favour.