Five clubs are reported to be willing to pay the £40m required to trigger the release clause for the "greatest forward in the world in waiting" Neymar from Santos. They are Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City and......

..... Russian giants Anzhi Makhachkala.

Chelsea face competition from four other clubs for Santos star Neymar.

Premier League pair Chelsea and Manchester City are hoping to land the Santos striker after meeting his £40million release clause.

But they face stiff competition from Barcelona and Real Madrid, who have also met the asking price.

Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala are also believed to have bid for Neymar but it is unlikely the Brazilian will go there.

Santos president Luis Ribeiro said: "We don't want to sell the player but there is a release clause in his contract that can be paid.

"Five European clubs have offered to match the clause.

"I cannot name them because there is an agreement between Santos and the clubs but they are the most important clubs in Europe.

"They have asked to speak to the player and obviously we've allowed them to.

"The clubs have behaved ethically. They sought out Santos first and were willing to pay the clause.

"With this ethical approach, they can talk to anyone - with Neymar's father, with his agent Wagner Ribeiro, and with the representatives of Neymar."

neymar_bg_22.jpg

I guess £40m would buy a whole lot of bananas for the huffy, parrot-haired, primadonna.

i wonder about this little whipper snapper.

you look at the 2 best players in the world today messi and ronaldo.

save for ronaldo odd diving tendancy both of them are supremely dedicated and professional.

i doubt very much neymar is.

he'll be another robinhio/denilson/every other next pele/maradona.

he will not be as good as messi or ronaldo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i still reckon he's end up like another robinhio.

i.e. just another new pele/maradona taht costs the spanish old firm a world record fee then does fcuk all and gets punted onto some else at a massive loss.

makes you marvel at the dedication and professionalism that messi has

• 1 month later...

FFS, Giggs was doing that before Neymar was born, even Kanchelskis when at Rangers had better patter than that.

Even Dadi skinning Bobo in the snow was better.

Saying that, I do hope Neymar ends up playing in Europe next season so I can see more of him.