Budapest

barassie_afc

2 Euros a pint max here in Lecce. We're going home with a third of our Euro's having not used a credit card at all. Our normal pattern is spend all Euro's + one third or a half again on credit card.

The heel of the boot of Italy is fantastic. You are guaranteed never to meet a Brit. This is heaven.

Of course there are no socio political divides in italy

2 Euros a pint max here in Lecce. We're going home with a third of our Euro's having not used a credit card at all. Our normal pattern is spend all Euro's + one third or a half again on credit card.

The heel of the boot of Italy is fantastic. You are guaranteed never to meet a Brit. This is heaven.

Yup, fantastic part of the country. Also like to get across to Sicily where i spent 6 months working.

Been almost 3 decades since was last in the divided Danube city. Wouldn't care if I ever saw it again. Their people are too unfathomable and clannish and with overtly religious overtones going on. Beautiful place. Beautiful architecture. Beautiful weather. Absolutely f**ked up people in my book.

And you claim to know all this despite not having been there for the best part of 30years.

Im impressed.

Claim to know what? What part of my observations or opinions have been made invalid in the intervening years since I've been, or was I mistaken the first time? My mate was there three years ago and last year to qualify as the highest RKB instructor in the country. He's not the only person I know who's visited Budapest but like me, he found the atmosphere and the Magyars to be dark and unfathomable. Be specific if you have a point to make or you wish to provoke a debate.

You said they ARE unfathomable etc etc despite not having been there for such a long time. My maths and history are pretty sh*t but if its as long ago since you been there as you say then i think the effects of communism might have washed through the system over the years and might perhaps have rendered certain traits redundant.

Ive been there a few times, not just to Budapest but around the country itself and they are pretty decent people, approachable and friendly. Just like the rest of Eastern Europe id have to say, a fantastic part of the world.

You may well be right about the Hungarians in the intervening years but as I said originally, I don't care to revisit a city I've already seen when the world is so big and there are other places to see. Eastern Europe is an area I haven't been too for a long time, probably because of the austerity I experienced the first time but places like Slovenia and Poland are on my wish list which I'll need to get round to next. I don't normally like to revisit many places and although I've been to France the most, we try to go to a different part and have pretty much been all over now. Places are like opinions. You may like some that I don't and vice versa.

My Mr Scientist - thats a damn fine civilised response if i may say so.

Not even a hint of niggle - keep up the good work.

Slovenia is fantastic though but i reckon Lithuania takes some beating. You were on about Lecce earlier, in that you are unlikely to come across the usual British traveller there, well a part of Lithuania called Nida is even better, its that tiny wee strip of land that joins Lithuania to the tiny wee isolated part of Russia where Kaliningrad is, you wont hear an English speaker anywhere there, truly awesome. Not a hellish amount to do there but total relaxation and the beaches on the Baltic sea are really good too.

Braw.

• 1 year later...

Away to Budapest on Weds night for a stagger. 32 of us heading over. Canna wait. Anyone any recommendations on bars, clubs, things to do etc?

32 guys on a stag do?! :o The stag must be a very popular chap. That will be carnage.

Sounds fucking brilliant. Plenty splits into various groups no doubt so much more stories to be had than a half dozen guys all sticking together.

We were there in 98. We were warned abody would be out to rip us off etc etc, and that oor hotel would take care of us. Of course, it was them that ripped us off :clangers2:

Will never forget a taxi journey at 110km/h through the busy streets in the back of a clapped out Lada and a driver who was the spit of Einstein. He could barely see where he was going for all the strip club calling cards on the dashboard, which he would randomly pick up, turn round to us (while still doing 110) and say "you go here, ladies nice!".

Expensive or cheap?

We have pushed the boat out but i would say prices are same as city prices eg 3.70 a pint in normal joints

Where the fuck did you go?? Lived there for a year and can't remember ever paying more than 2 quid for a pint. Only at a seriously top end hotel would you pay over 3 quid.

Away to Budapest on Weds night for a stagger. 32 of us heading over. Canna wait. Anyone any recommendations on bars, clubs, things to do etc?

Great night out but hard to accommodate a 32-man stagger anywhere.

Szimpla and Instant yer best bets for late night. Corvinteto (near Blaha Lujza metro) is good too, a large roof top bar in summer and a club inside in winter.

Caledonia (Scottish Pub) is by far the best place for watching fitba and regrouping with a scran and pint.

Krakow is a decent city, nice big square in the heart of the city for people watching from and some very pleasant streets to walk along with it being very relaxed down by the river !!

Krakow is great, will go back one day soon, a beautiful place.

Re-match?

Nah just to experience the place again, not sure If I'll have to go back for my compensation claim so will wait till that's sorted before returning. An eye for an eye makes everyone blind, besides he was a big gypo! :cool: