Fyi

phoenix

During my stirring trip round Anfield last Saturday afternoon and in the bootroom/now media room part of the tour , the lady guide informed that 'You'll Never Walk Alone' comes from the Rogers and Hammerstein movie , 'Carousel' . 'N y'ken this? I nivver kint 'at.....or at least , if I hid iver been informed , I hid forgot.

In the United Kingdom, the song's most successful recording was released in 1963 by the Liverpudlian Merseybeat group Gerry & the Pacemakers (peaking at number one in the singles chart for four consecutive weeks). It quickly became the anthem of Liverpool Football Club and is invariably sung by its supporters moments before the start of each home game. The words "You'll Never Walk Alone" also feature in the club crest and on the Shankly Gate entrance to Anfield, the home stadium.

According to former player Tommy Smith, Gerry Marsden presented Liverpool manager Bill Shankly with a tape recording of his forthcoming cover single during a pre-season coach trip in the summer of 1963. "Shanks was in awe of what he heard. [...] Football writers from the local newspapers were travelling with our party and, thirsty for a story of any kind between games, filed copy back to their editors to the effect that we had adopted Gerry Marsden's forthcoming single as the club song."

Marsden himself told BBC Radio how, in the 1960s, the DJ at Anfield would play the top-ten commercial records in ascending order, with the number one single transmitted last, shortly before kickoff. Spectators would sing along, but unlike with other hit singles, once "You'll Never Walk Alone" dropped out of the top-ten, instead of dropping the song, supporters continued to sing along.

The song was later adopted by Scottish team Celtic F.C., Dutch teams Feyenoord and FC Twente, Germany's Borussia Dortmund, 1.FC Kaiserslautern, FC St Pauli and Japan's F.C. Tokyo.

The Pink Floyd song "Fearless", from their 1971 album Meddle, includes a recording of the Liverpool Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". The recording is repeated many times during the song and appears solely as a conclusion at the end of the track.

A special recording of the song was made in solidarity with Bradford City following the Valley Parade fire in 1985, when 56 spectators died and many more were seriously injured. The song was performed by The Crowd, featuring Gerry Marsden, Paul McCartney and Rolf Harris, among others.

Some years later, after witnessing a rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" at Anfield in 2007, the President of the Spanish Olympic Committee, Alejandro Blanco, said he felt inspired to seek lyrics to his country's wordless national anthem, the Royal March, ahead of Madrid's bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

The song was also performed by 17-year-old pupil Alina Schmidt at the funeral of German football player Robert Enke before 45,000 attendees in Hanover's stadium on November 15, 2009.

Hmmmmm... so they lifted it from a musical, eh?

Wonder what musical number Aberdeen could swipe for its anthem.

I'm thinking Time Warp, because Aberdeen fans all live in the past, so we're told.

Given it's Aberdeen we're talking about, something from "Little Shop of Horrors" might be more appropriate?

It's run like a f**king corner shop

The Pink Floyd song "Fearless", from their 1971 album Meddle, includes a recording of the Liverpool Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone". The recording is repeated many times during the song and appears solely as a conclusion at the end of the track.

A special recording of the song was made in solidarity with Bradford City following the Valley Parade fire in 1985, when 56 spectators died and many more were seriously injured. The song was performed by The Crowd, featuring Gerry Marsden, Paul McCartney and Rolf Harris, among others.

I kint 'at. 'Cause i'm a bit o' a Pink Floyd buff me.

Did ye Ken that Paul n' Linda were interviewed for some o' the speaking parts in DSOM but Rog decided nae to use them 'cause, well, McArtney wiz a prick. They used Gerry O'Driscoll instead. Who now plays for Turriff

The Celtic of England because they share the same football anthem.

Hahahahahahahahahhahaha.

I guarrantee it comes from someone who's never been to a Liverpool game.

I honestly believed Aberdeen fans knew their football, but they don't. At all.

No, its because they are a shower of greeting, chip on their shoulder timmy c**ts.

-Scousers are a bunch of f**k*ng sad drama queens.It's like the whole cess-pit of a city is auditioning for Brookside. Cannae be denied.

-All I was saying is that when something bad happens in Liverpool, Youse c**ts go f**k*ng do-lally. You take it as an excuse to parade banners at the football.....illsburgh.....i-sell.....I put on an imitation scouse nasal bleat. -Why can't you just sit in the f**k*ng house and mourn quietly, Why do you always have to turn everything into a tasteless audition for Brookside,to show who can be the most f**k*d up by tragedy?

- Because we care, that's why. Because we stick together! The T-shirt spits out.

Stick together! Ha! Youse c**ts are in and out of each others' hooses with each others' property all day long. Show the f**king professional ghouls in that city something to mourn and they'll be out in force. That the boys from the black stuff sh*te...you b*st*rds are glad that there's nae jobs, n that, cause it gives you something to act so f**k*n tragic and hard-done-by!

The biggest tragedy though for you c**ts was that Lockerbie disaster happened somewhere else. Imaginethe fun youse c**ts would have had if that plane came down on some shitey Liverpool slum estate! It would have kept youse greeting and snarling in front of the cameras for years!

Irvine Welsh, Filth

The Celtic of England because they share the same football anthem.

Hahahahahahahahahhahaha.

I guarrantee it comes from someone who's never been to a Liverpool game.

I honestly believed Aberdeen fans knew their football, but they don't. At all.

Total mince, why goad fellow supporters of AFC about the better standard of supporter that Liverpool have, i can only assume you are alluding it to get rise as usual? :blahblah1:

Stop stalking my posts as per usual..... I was warned you were a wind up and spoke sh*te by a mutual friend.

I'm putting you on block, that's 3 times you've commented on my posts to catch me out.

End of.

Oh no penfold told you im a wind up boohoo, not stalking your posts but merely commenting on some of your take on things that have inspired me to add to the debate.

END of.