Mp4 Converter

I'm wanting to put some films and TV progs onto my HTC Desire HD however apparently I need to convert them all to MP4 first. I have a MacBook and a Windows 7 laptop but would prefer to use my Macbook as most of my films and TV series are on there however they would be easily transferable if necessary. Anyway does anyone know of a free converter for either a Mac or W7 laptop. The only one I have got working so far is called Aiseesoft converter for Mac. (tried MPEG Streamclip but coudn't get it to work). However I can only convert 5 mins of film for free or else pay

I'm wanting to put some films and TV progs onto my HTC Desire HD however apparently I need to convert them all to MP4 first. I have a MacBook and a Windows 7 laptop but would prefer to use my Macbook as most of my films and TV series are on there however they would be easily transferable if necessary. Anyway does anyone know of a free converter for either a Mac or W7 laptop. The only one I have got working so far is called Aiseesoft converter for Mac. (tried MPEG Streamclip but coudn't get it to work). However I can only convert 5 mins of film for free or else pay