Tax Rebates For North Sea Installation Workers

s1dnk

Anybody heard of the ex tax man turned accountant from Norwich who is getting fixed offshore installation workers tax rabates? I only just heard about it, doesn't apply to me as I'm self employed but if you are PAYE, work more than 20 weeks per year offshore, work on an installation over 3 miles from land and been offshore for over 2 years then I hear this guy can get you a decent rebate.

From what I know the rebate can be back dated 4 years, he charges you

We heard about it from guys on the Clipper, from what we know a few of them have already received cheques from inland revenue. There's guys on here who have only just sent their completed forms back so they are just waiting to see what the outcome is. I have his name, phone number and email address for anyone who is insterested.

We heard about it from guys on the Clipper, from what we know a few of them have already received cheques from inland revenue. There's guys on here who have only just sent their completed forms back so they are just waiting to see what the outcome is. I have his name, phone number and email address for anyone who is insterested.

Send it on, worth a bash! Just wont pay anything upfront.

I don't think it matters if you have moved platforms, as long as you have spent more than 20 weeks a year offshore. But give the number I sent you a call KSL, I was listening in when a colleague phoned and the woman seemed very helpful.

No bother rumpus, hope you and anybody else who calls get something back.

Just don't spend it quickly as sure as sh*t flies off a shovel you're gonna have to pay it back.

Keeping it in an offset mortgage as stated earlier is a fantastic idea.

The tax man always wins. Always.

Death and taxes are the only two certainties in life.

• Site Sponsor

Just don't spend it quickly as sure as sh*t flies off a shovel you're gonna have to pay it back.

Keeping it in an offset mortgage as stated earlier is a fantastic idea.

The tax man always wins. Always.

Death and taxes are the only two certainties in life.

Aye, dont forget the penalties, interest and surcharges too.

Basically, HMRC will accept anything you enter on a Self Assessment Tax Return - they wont check it at the time you submit your claim.

HMRC has, however, a period of time to review claims which are "in date" and if they discover that you have claimed relief for something to which you are not entitled, they can re-open earlier years (back 20 years if they wish).

I emphasise the "you" in the sentence above because HMRC makes no difference between you or your advisor f**king up your claim - you sign the Return so it's you that's culpable, liable, etc.

Even if an innocent error, they will still charge you penalties.

Make sure any claim is a relevant one guys.

Aye, dont forget the penalties, interest and surcharges too.

Basically, HMRC will accept anything you enter on a Self Assessment Tax Return - they wont check it at the time you submit your claim.

HMRC has, however, a period of time to review claims which are "in date" and if they discover that you have claimed relief for something to which you are not entitled, they can re-open earlier years (back 20 years if they wish).

I emphasise the "you" in the sentence above because HMRC makes no difference between you or your advisor f**king up your claim - you sign the Return so it's you that's culpable, liable, etc.

Even if an innocent error, they will still charge you penalties.

Make sure any claim is a relevant one guys.

WHat's the period for "in date"? Is it 5 years then they can go back 20 if they find something fishy?

I don't think it matters if you have moved platforms, as long as you have spent more than 20 weeks a year offshore. But give the number I sent you a call KSL, I was listening in when a colleague phoned and the woman seemed very helpful.

Thanks for the PM s1dnk.

I'll investigate this further.

One thing I'll put out there and ask is.

Why do a couple of people feel that the taxman will come chasing after you somewhere down the line if you do this? And what criteria do you have to have for him to do this?

Genuine question as I'm nae really clued up on all this tax malarky and makes you ask questions when someone like Dom puts out warnings.

Cheers.

• Admin

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/seafaq2.htm

3. The employment must be on board ships

A seafarer is someone that works on a ship. There is no definition of a ship in tax law but "offshore installations" are specifically not regarded as ships. Leaflet IR205 gives examples of "offshore installations". Grey areas may need to be considered by The Marine Section, South Wales Area, Ty Glas Road, Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5FP

• Site Sponsor

WHat's the period for "in date"? Is it 5 years then they can go back 20 if they find something fishy?

Sorry Boof, didn't answer your question.

The last "in date" tax year currently is for year ended 5th April 2010.

Filing deadline was 31st January 2011 so if filed on that date, HMRC has until 31st January 2012 to decide to review if they wish i.e. 12 months from the date of receipt.

Under "discovery" rules, HMRC can go back 20 years if they discover that a Return is wrong.

No idea what the loop hole might be, the accountant doesn't want to reveal it as he claims anybody could then copy him and he will lose business. I suppose the best thing for anybody to do is call the guy next week and ask some questions, he obviously wont tell you how he does it but he might be able to reassure you that there will be no come back on yourself. If I met the criteria then I would at least call for info.

• Site Sponsor

No idea what the loop hole might be, the accountant doesn't want to reveal it as he claims anybody could then copy him and he will lose business. I suppose the best thing for anybody to do is call the guy next week and ask some questions, he obviously wont tell you how he does it but he might be able to reassure you that there will be no come back on yourself. If I met the criteria then I would at least call for info.

Mmmmmmmm...........instantly raises alarm bells.

So, let me get this straight:

1 this guy wont tell anyone what the loophole is;

2 gets you to make a claim to HMRC;

3 raises a fee for doing so.

Some time later, HMRC start an enquiry into your affairs because of potentially an incorrect claim.

Who you gonna call?

You go running to the guy who made the claim on your behalf.

He says, "there will, of course, be a fee for battling with HMRC on your behalf".

Not suggesting for one minute that there are unscrupulous accountants out there but...........

Until someone gets the full bifta from Mr Super Accountant chappie, I remain a weary old cynic.

I used to work on vessels and claimed SED. I used dedicated company called seatax to to my accounts.

Basically i had to work 183 days or more on a vessel to claim it. I have a seamans book and it was stamped every time i went offshore. This is used as evidence for claiming tax back. I also had to keep flight ticket stubs to prove when i left the UK and when i returned.

I doubt very much that this is legit. If the structure is connected to the seabed in any way i.e anchors, drillpipe then it is not classed as a vessel and does not qualify for SED. Even drillships aren't classed as vessels.

I believe in the early north sea days people could claim SED but this was quickly stopped by HMRC

• Site Sponsor

Of course people are going to be cynical, me included. Like I said in a previous post, people who are interested should call the guy and get a feel for him then they can make up their own mind.

Not meaning to piss on your chips, S1, it's just that having battled with our friends at HMRC for over 30 years it turns you into a weary old cynic.

Doesn't bother me Dom, I just heard about it and thought I'd share with others and let them decide if it's worth persuing. As I've stated I am not legible to claim due to the way I am employed although I'm always interested in this type of thing.

What I will say is that there are all sorts of loop holes within the taxation system that many accountants exploit, some are more legal than others. It is right to be wary before committing to any attempt to pay less tax, at the same time be wary of some peoples stories of their experiences with the tax man as things move on as accountants get smarter at aiding tax avoidance.

• 1 month later...

Anybody heard of the ex tax man turned accountant from Norwich who is getting fixed offshore installation workers tax rabates? I only just heard about it, doesn't apply to me as I'm self employed but if you are PAYE, work more than 20 weeks per year offshore, work on an installation over 3 miles from land and been offshore for over 2 years then I hear this guy can get you a decent rebate.

From what I know the rebate can be back dated 4 years, he charges you

Installation. It is attached to the seabed by risers is the explanation I was given so can't move freely undr its own power.

Vessels involved in mining (drilling or production of oil) don't count. Semi's, Jack-ups, Tender Barges, FPSO's and platforms are all not valid seagoing vessels for Seaman book tax laws.