J I T From Paisley

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just In

Aargh

Well, first time I'd seen them competitively this season. Came in full of optimism (though the last few years brought in some cynicism too).

What can I say.

We were lucky.

If they had half decent strikers we would have been 2-0 down at half time and lost at least 3-0.

We got off lucky.

They are an okay team and I'd have thought will do okay in the bottom half this year.

It is Aberdeen who should be afraid.

We have no invention up front or out wide, no width of defense and few players in midfield who can win the ball, pass or move into space.

Some observations on some of our players

Gonzalez looked okay.

Foster looked like he did 3 years ago when I thought he was one of our worst players - ran around a lot, not terribly quickly and to little effect, can't pass or tackle.

Milsom was very poor, reminded me of Gary McDonald on a bad day.

Most of the rest huffed and puffed but really weren't up to it.

Our best chances (and I use that term lightly) largely came from hoofball.

It is very hard to see where a goal will come from unless we get a penalty or free kick.

Our defence still is porous.

We are in deep sh*t

Yeah, its one of the 'good' things about the SPHELL......there will always be a team worse than us.

We couldn't beat St Johnstone at home, lost away to St Mirren.

Which team is worse than us?

I can see little redeeming hope about the squad and CB had better get the finger oot as his excuses are pish.

We couldn't beat St Johnstone at home, lost away to St Mirren.

Which team is worse than us?

I can see little redeeming hope about the squad and CB had better get the finger oot as his excuses are pish.

Agreed - We should be good enough to AT LEAST draw with St Mirren, even with 4 players missing.

And two of their players, Hasselbaink & McGowan would stroll into out first X1 - easily!

On todays performance, we will be bottom 3 - that's not pessimism, its a reality.

Got a chance at my mates season ticket (he coaches for St Mirren) and I took it, instead of paying over the odds to watch what I thought may be pish. My worst fears were confirmed.

Was right in behind the dugouts and Archie was going off his nut at most of the players for the majority of the second half. Everytime we did something sh*t, he turn with a knowing look and shake of the head to Craig. They know exactly how huge a job on they've got.

Gonzalez - Solid enough without having much to do. Fumbled a couple of crosses mind you. 5/10

Foster - Very poor distribution, akin to the player we are used to. His defending was a bit off today too. 4/10

Arnason - Composed and reads the game well. Positioning is excellent. Bad error nearly cost us a goal. 6/10

Considine - Struggled. 4/10

Robertson - Every bit the athlete you need to be for a full back, sadly not the footballer you need to be though. Passing was woeful, gave it away more often than not. 3/10

Pawlett - Surprised he was taken off. Only player to have a bit of spark and dug in to track back and put tackles. One of the few players to contribute in both aspects of the game. 6/10

Osbourne - Really like this guy. Likes a tackle, closes down aggressively and uses the ball neatly. 7/10

Milsom - Not one of his better days. 4/10

Magennis - Didn't contribute alot. 4/10

Mackie - Second touch is a tackle. Usual hard work, but need more. 4/10

Vernon - Pretty isolated without decent service. 4/10

Subs:

Paton - how did he become a pro? Another one with a tackle as a second touch. 3/10

Megginson - thought he'd won us a penalty with taking his man on. A bit more confidence in taking men on would help. Needs to back himself more. 5/10

Low - not much time to do anything.

St Mirren were so much hungrier, sharper and more determined. There was only ever going to be one winner there. If they keep that up they will surprise a few people this year as we were lucky not to be on the back of an embarrassing hiding.

Yeah, its one of the 'good' things about the SPHELL......there will always be a team worse than us.

We've relied on that a few times in the past.... we can't keep relying on that, because one of these days there won't be anyone worse than us.

Telling observation is that this is the first time in my long association with the dons that we have been outsung by the home support in Paisley.

They don't see an easy win too often and frankly took the foot off the gas after they scored.

We were lucky they didn't start singing easy easy - they may not know the words though.

What a shambles.

A very, very poor performance today. Almost every aspect of our game today was poor, and that is not an exaggeration.

We desperately lack width, which presents us with so many problems. Also, we need a creative style striker like Maguire, because there's no way Magennis or Mackie are going to partner him. We barely had a shot today, our ball retention was terrible and we made St Mirren look like Brazil.

Gonzalez - St Mirren didn't have too many threatening shots on target, so once again Gonzlez wasn't really tested. Flapped at a couple of balls into the box, but I think a foul should have been awarded on both occasions. 6/10

Foster - was impressed with him last week, but he wasn't up to speed today. Seemed to get mixed up defensively and was outrun by Teale and Hasselbaink on a couple of occasions. Slightly worrying, given his main strength is meant to be his pace. 5/10

Arnason - one of only a couple of outfield players that really got pass marks. Positioning was good and rarely missed a header. Seemed to eager to play the long ball and should have passed the ball forward instead of taking a shot in injury time. 6/10

Considine - missed too many headers and often lost his man. A tad slow at times too. 5/10

Robertson - as someone already mentioned, he is not ready for the first team. Seemed to scared to cross the ball or take it down the wing. His passing was poor too. 4/10

Pawlett - gained pass marks from me since he was the only one who really showed any sort of creative spark. Shouldn't have been taken off, unless it was for fitness/injury reasons of course. 6/10

Milsom - one of the worst games I've seen him have. He was either too late or early in releasing the ball. Too scared to go in for a 50/50 and often too lazy to make up the ground for a loose ball. 4/10

Osbourne - not as effective as he was last week, but still put in some good challenges to win the ball back. Felt he was dragged out of position at times, particularly when St Mirren had one of their spells where they passed it about and took the p*ss out of us. 5/10

Magennis - very poor today. For such a big lad, he doesn't win enough headers and his touch today was absolutely terrible. No way is he winger, never mind a striker. 3/10

Vernon - once again, anonymous with no ammunition. Barely did anything at all actually, apart from that header in the second half which was well saved by Samson. 4/10

Mackie - tries his best, but we all know where his downfalls are. He's simply not good enough and is no partner for Vernon. Again, somebody pointed out that he kept clashing with Vernon when going for a header. Given that Vernon's the taller player, then I think the clashes are Mackie's fault. 4/10

Subs:-

Megginson - not confident enough to take on a man, as shown when he opted for a shot from just inside the box rather than try and take the St Mirren defender on and maybe at least win a corner. However that's probably because he's a striker, not a winger. 2/10

Paton - probably came closest to the equaliser with a shot just outside the box that went a couple of inches wide. Some of his decision making with regards to passing was bizarre however. 2/10

Low - didn't do too much, but seemed willing to drive down the left side but was met by the St Mirren full back. 1/10.

Tactics were rubbish from Brown as well today. It was so obvious that the 4-3-3 at the start of the second half wasn't working with Vernon out wide left and Pawlett being played in midfield. Bizarre to say the least. A lot of work required in the transfer market before it closes.

One of the worst games I have ever seen, performance was worse than anything I watched under Mcghee, just gutless and lacked in every department, Arnason and the keeper were only ones to get pass marks from me.

Highlight of the game though was an ultra getting chucked out, the one who had the flare at the Sigma away game, he gave the steward a nice elbow as he wrestled with them on the way out, was affa funny.

Poor perfromace :ThumbsDown:

I have a guilty admission to make.... i think the rangers away shirt is pretty decent :poster_oops:

Also world cup qualifying group could have been worse....

Agree

Agree

Disagree - think its a tough draw - Serbia, Macedonia & Wales are arguably the hardest teams we could've drawn from their pots.

One of the worst games I have ever seen, performance was worse than anything I watched under Mcghee, just gutless and lacked in every department, Arnason and the keeper were only ones to get pass marks from me.

Highlight of the game though was an ultra getting chucked out, the one who had the flare at the Sigma away game, he gave the steward a nice elbow as he wrestled with them on the way out, was affa funny.

The "ultras" feet never touched the ground - he was literally carried out by the fat steward - now that was funny.

discussed this in auchterarder, worse than McGhee's shambles. woeful from start to finish.

and too the people that after the game slated the team but still praised mackie for giving 110% get a f**king grip of yourself, club is going nowhere and don't give me that it's only been two games pish. we'll be rock bottom by september

is it not just the simple fact that St Mirren are a better side than us this season?

They have invested money in their squad in the summer and signed some decent players.

We are still a few players off becoming a decent side. If we dont get any more in, we will be a tiny bit better than last season, but not by much.

The one thing i dont understand is why we dont have a striker. Its there for everyone to see that we need one. Fans of other clubs are saying that we need a striker. So why isnt there one at the club? 2 games now, where if we had an out and out goal scorer, we may possibly of came away with more points than we have. Im not happy with this loan pish, because in 6 or 12 months we will be in the exact same position. Until we get a striker, we will struggle big time. We could then go onto a winger, and then a left back.

At least weve now got an easy run in of games :unsure:

discussed this in auchterarder, worse than McGhee's shambles. woeful from start to finish.

and too the people that after the game slated the team but still praised mackie for giving 110% get a f**king grip of yourself, club is going nowhere and don't give me that it's only been two games pish. we'll be rock bottom by september

As long as there are gypes in our support happy with that, then we will continue to be an abortion of a football club.

Represented perfectly by that utter abortion of a footballer.

I echo the comments of others, that was truly horrendous today, and any pre-season optimism is long gone, we don't need 1 or 2 players, we need 4 or 5, we were totally outplayed today, and I have no idea what our tactics were, or how we planned to create a goal, on top of that, how many 50-50's did our players sh*te out of, particular shout out to Milsom and Mackie for this, truly dreadful, and I dont't think I can take another season of watching this. Will be at the Celtic and Hearts games, but after that, wont be back unless it looks like theres a reason to go. I'd only give passmarks to the goalie and Arnie, and Gonzalez had nothing to do. As for Fozzy, back to his usual shiteness, the captains role he played last week must have been playing to the audience as I didn't see him shout to a team mate once today, in between losing his man, and giving the ball away.

The only plus from today is everyone connected with AFC now knows, we still need to spend big if we are going to have any hope of sorting this mess out.

We are in such deep water!

Cannot believe Aberdeen have gone into a new season with such a pathetic squad. They think they can afford to hold back improving the squad until a month into the season in the hope we might get Aluko back and a Premiership team might loan us an 18 year old kid, WTF!!! Get a grip Aberdeen, by that time we will be rooted to the bottom of the league.

Excuses flying out already, injuries etc sick of hearing them. No doubt we'll get fed with the same old pish from Miller, "no need to panic", " long way to go". f**k off.

The one thing i dont understand is why we dont have a striker. Its there for everyone to see that we need one. Fans of other clubs are saying that we need a striker. So why isnt there one at the club?

The board isn't willing to spend the money from the Maguire move to fund a permanent striker. The same way they wouldn't release funds for a left back last season... so the manager is forced to wait until we're half way through the first round of games before he can even think of bringing in a striker, assuming we bring one in at all. Regardless of how obvious it is that we desperately, desperately need to fill a position, the board will sit steadfastly with their collective thumb up their arse, refusing to rescue the situation.

Nothing has changed... this 'significant investment' bollocks is just that... bollocks. The playing side is still starved of the funds needed to make AFC a top six side.

And so we play without a threat up front until some kind English club takes pity on us and gives us a fringe player to act as our main striking threat.

It's a shambles, but this is the way AFC operates.

I've little doubt Brown was lied to... probably along the lines of, "We'l give you the funds needed to make the team a credible force."

And when they don't step up and back that empty promise up they'll tell Brown he's been given ample funds to make the team a force....

For the want of a few more grand a week we're going to have no real strikers. What would be a genuine investment in landing a striker will be passed over and Brown will have to make do with what he has.

As for Vernon getting 20 goals this year, I'm going to point out to the people who actually believe that line of piss that Vernon has never scored 20 goals a season. And with this team he won't.

We lose Maguire, a guy who is, and will be, a Scottish International forward, and we don't replace him... instead Mackie is expected to fill those boots. And however much you hate Maguire he's streets ahead of Mackie.

So the quality of the squad is further reduced.

I've little doubt Brown was lied to... probably along the lines of, "We'l give you the funds needed to make the team a credible force."

No doubt they lied to him, he was far better off staying with the Well.

They are con men and have done nothing but lie to the fans for 5 years.

The St Mirren game defines our team form me. There is no player there who makes you want to go and watch them play football.

Not even to defend.

Milsom is not an EPL player - on todays performance he'd struggle to get a game in a commited Highland league side - he bottled so much it was embarassing.

Make no mistake - if last season we were poor - at the least we had Aluko and Maguire who were creative we've got rid of the pish and we've lost the spark - what we gained in the roundabouts we've lost on the swings.

We are relegation fodder.

I foolishly predicted 4th or 5th.

Oh boy was I wrong. If that team wins two games in a row they should get an open topped bus down Union Street.

Not going to do a full player by player review, but I'll highlight some of players today -

Milsom - shadow of the player he was last season. Signaled his intention for the game by running back from midfield when Gonzalez had the ball and screaming for it, before promptly turning around and giving it straight back to St. Mirren.

Arnason - Looks very calm with the ball at his feet and was our best player today, although that wasnt' hard.

Magennis - Has no business starting a game. Bring him on after an hour and let him do his headless chicken chasing everything down routine, having him attempting to play left wing is useless.

Paton - I've not seen a player give less of a f**k than this guy.

Megginson - Was fouled in the box, but managed to convince the ref not to give a penalty with the ridiculously theatrical swandive.