Windfarm Off Aberdeen Coast

Big Man

And Trump wants to block it.

The real post-oil future of Aberdeen is Renewable Energy, not Golf.

Will all the Trump fans be happy to see Aberdeen miss out on the opportunity of a real future so that a handful of rich Americans can enjoy their private view?

You make your bed, you lie in it.

I fail to see why folk don't want it?

Do people know why they don't want it, or just moaning against it because it seems the right thing to do. It's going to have no effect on my life, so don't particularly care what happens with a wind farm to be honest.

Yep same here.

It's being against something for the sake of it. I'd understand if they were planning on putting a wind turbine in your back garden and you got a touch upset by it. It's going to be out at sea and OK if you are one of the few who happen to have a view out to that particular part of the sea then it might annoy you but ask yourself this question before you get upset.

The view you have from your house is lovely but in the grand scheme of things how often and how long do you actually sit and just look at your view?

Plenty of folk look at telly programmes like Location Location Location and swoon at the fact the house has lovely views.

Great but you probably spend about a minute a day while you scratch your arse in the morning looking at it then you piss off downstairs to put the coffee on and get ready for work.

I have a cracking view but inbetween picking up after two kids and generally running about like a madman getting sh*t done when I'm at home, the amount of times I can sit down with a nice glass of red and "enjoy my view" are few and far between.

It just so happens that there are 7 wind turbines slap bang in the middle of my view and to be perfectly honest they look kind of nice and relaxing whirling round. On my way home when I first catch site of them it's comforting to see them knowing I'm actually home.

I fail to see why folk don't want it?

Do people know why they don't want it, or just moaning against it because it seems the right thing to do. It's going to have no effect on my life, so don't particularly care what happens with a wind farm to be honest.

totally agree.

best place for windfarms is offshore - least disruption to local populace.

only a few fishes would be bothered.

You'd think the Planet was still in pristine state when you listen to some fowk. It is continually changing it's appearance , we need wind farms now and they won't be there forever. I can live with them and could even stretch to finding them aesthetically pleasing.

Half the time the view is obscured by haar onywye , ffs.

And , as already remarked , what %age of our lives do we spend gazing at it onywye ?

a) 0.000001

b) 0.00000001

c) 0.000000000001

.....or not at all?

It will create lots of jobs and an iconic coastline. Win win.

Aberdeen will probably turn this down because of this. They really don't have a clue about how to modernise the city and keep us on the map, resting on our laurels because of the oil.

It's about time we were forward thinking and started making things happen in this city.

Bypass - SHOULD help congestion around the city (should...but isn't the be all and end all of Aberdeens traffic problems)

Windfarm - said on the radio that it would produce 50% of the annual power usage of the city. Probably bullshit stats, but still....it's renewable and it's bound to help.

Golf Course - Will bring tons of jobs, tourists and cash to the city....putting us on the golfing map.

It's about time we got someone with balls in the city to start pushing these things through and finding other ways of modernising the city centre! Union Terrace Gardens facelift, proposed by a bloody businessman!

I don't have solutions, I don't know if any of those three will bring any benefits to the city, but FFS.....let's do SOMETHING! We are going to become Dundee at this rate.

Yep same here.

It's being against something for the sake of it. I'd understand if they were planning on putting a wind turbine in your back garden and you got a touch upset by it. It's going to be out at sea and OK if you are one of the few who happen to have a view out to that particular part of the sea then it might annoy you but ask yourself this question before you get upset.

The view you have from your house is lovely but in the grand scheme of things how often and how long do you actually sit and just look at your view?

Plenty of folk look at telly programmes like Location Location Location and swoon at the fact the house has lovely views.

Great but you probably spend about a minute a day while you scratch your arse in the morning looking at it then you piss off downstairs to put the coffee on and get ready for work.

I have a cracking view but inbetween picking up after two kids and generally running about like a madman getting sh*t done when I'm at home, the amount of times I can sit down with a nice glass of red and "enjoy my view" are few and far between.

It just so happens that there are 7 wind turbines slap bang in the middle of my view and to be perfectly honest they look kind of nice and relaxing whirling round. On my way home when I first catch site of them it's comforting to see them knowing I'm actually home.

I'm all for green energy but wind farms arent really the way forward. The only reason the make money is due to government subsidies so really we are paying companies to build turbines that only produce a small amount of electricity compared to the what is put into manufacturing, installing and running these things. The money the government are "investing" is only going to make people rich and is not building a greener future. Wind turbines will not replace coal furnaces nor will they be able to provide the power we need. 1 turbine ideally placed with a steady wind of between 30 and 50mph will only power around 340 homes for a year and not the 10000 that is claimed by some manufacturers and the government.

I think the "ruining my view" argument against these is the wrong one for people to use. Instead of them focussing on themselves, their house, their property value, their view etc they should focus on how valuable these turbines are to us in the long term and the only reason they are viable is down to subsidies and not down to how much energy they can produce. The lifespan of one of these is around 10-15 years max...

Hydro, like the turbines that are scattered around the lochs in Scotland is a much greener source of electricity, its renewable, less of an overall environmental impact (taking in their life span, amount of production etc), it can be switched on and off at the turn of a switch and has been powering the nations kettles after corrie for decades.

Nuclear is another that we should be investing in. Yes there are all the scare stories, the Japanese disaster has scared people again but, like most of the 450+ reactors being used globally we wouldnt have ours on fault lines and the waist can be processed a lot better now than it could 10 and 20 years ago. There is also the moon and Mars to use as a dumping ground of sorts and the rods can be purified to make bombs which could in theory then be used in the terraforming of Mars.

Nuclear, hydro, tidal... these are the ways forward but as long as all the government money is directed towards white spiny things then we will not meet our targets for emissions and renewable energy nor will be be building towards this green future we are told these things are for.

I assume you also don't want a nuclear power station or a coal station near you....either that or you don't mind them being next to someone else.

Or....maybe you have invented a cold-fusion system that works?

Attention Mr. Madjock ''Jump To Conclusions'' Mcferson: I haven't got a problem with nuclear power stations, power stations or solar farms near me. Bring them on i say.

Its not about the wind farms (im in favour of the wind farms), its about the c@nts that are being allowed to build them. For the past 45 years the collective shower of b******s that we refer to as Aberdeen city council have presided over a systematic prostitution of our once great city.

Think about the amount of oil related money that must of flowed in and out of their coffers over the years, and what have they done with it – absolutely bugger all, spunked and pissed it up a wall at our expense.

If we had councillors with even half a brain who genuinely cared about Aberdeen, we could of built a city to rival new yorks by now. We could of built decent roads, a decent transport system, a traffic management centre to manage the flow of traffic in and out of the city – instead what of we got: traffic jams, hoors, junkies and a couple of shopping centres.

Renewable energy is aberdeens future, but the natural resources of a city should be the property of its citizens. Why should we go selling off the rights to build wind farms to private companies (part owned by foreign nationals) – for what, the sake of a few jobs, bit of temporary cash floatin around the local economy? Do you think the savings the company makes in generating electricity through wind farms is going to translate into cheaper energy bill? I think not.

We should build the wind farms, but we should build them like they do up in the highlands; with local council money and for no other purpose than the benefit of the local people. We'll still generate the jobs and all the other benefits etc, but we could do it on our terms and reinvest the money in our city – properly this time.

:sherlock:

Fail to see how its any worse than looking out at supply boats and tankers in that area. Turbines give you something to look at, plenty other chunks of water with nowt to see.

Build it all and get on with it!! Aberdeen is fu*ked in a few years without serious investment.

Bypass - Wrong route, but get on with it!

Trumps place - Get on with it!

UTG - Get on with it!

Pedestrianise Union St - Get on with it!!!

NIMBYs - GTF

Some corporate types want to build a windfarm off our coast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-14408064

:emperor:

No thank you.

What the problem Bigman?

"Furthermore, Salmond emphasized how the renewable energy sector is producing significant benefits for Scotland regarding the creation of jobs. Mentioning the results of a study performed by Scottish Enterprise, he specified that the renewable market could potentially create up to 28,000 new jobs.

Just this past Monday the UK hit a record with 5% of the country

Like Spam I think we should be looking to invest in nuclear power. It wasn't until I did a study of it versus wind farms that I realised how efficient it is. And the vast majority of France's electricity needs are met through this. Cheap and CO2 free but as soon as people hear the word nuclear they get scared. Understandable if you live in Fukushima, but we don't.

Cheap and CO2 free but as soon as people hear the word nuclear they get scared. Understandable if you live in Fukushima, but we don't.

Aye bit.....who knows where or when these shifting tectonic plates are gonnae strike next...because even highly paid geologists cannae forecast that , obviously. Today Japan , tomorrow Scotland ?

Nuclear is scary stuff.....we are right to be afraid.....very , very afraid.....Britain has had accidents , America has had accidents , Russia has had accidents , Japan has had accidents.....if it can go wrong , it will go wrong. All these cancers everybody's getting these days , is that not all the radiation that's been fired into our atmosphere from a large variety of locations ? There is much they do not tell us , in fact they only tell us about STUFF that they could not get away with otherwise.

Read some Ray Kurzweil and Michio Kaku , there's energy out there and it need not be horrid ol' fossil fuel or nasty nuclear.

It's a hoor o' a job getting past the vested interest tho'.

Reducing energy consumption is the way forward anyway - change your bulbs, turn off things at the wall, watch a smaller TV, buy more efficient white goods when they need replacing.

And the "need replacing" is the important part - not just because the wife fancies a newer one.

Micro-generation of renewable energy should also be looked into more.

It should be the law that business in industrial estates meet a %age of their own energy needs by local power generation - either solar panels on the roof or a wee turbine.

Reducing energy consumption is the way forward anyway - change your bulbs, turn off things at the wall, watch a smaller TV, buy more efficient white goods when they need replacing.

And the "need replacing" is the important part - not just because the wife fancies a newer one.

Not married then Dandyesque? :rolleyes::laughing: