New Signings

I thought we needed 1 striker, we need 2.

Josh Magennis was playing on the wing today, we need a winger.

We're being told 1 new signing. f**k sake., show ambition AFC.

I know there are threads on this already, but AFC will see this. They'll also have seen the crowd today. The amount of people just not going (like myself) must send alarm bells ringing.

Overall we didn't play too poorly but it's blatantly obvious to all what's missing.

3 GAMES NO GOALS

I know there are threads on this already, but AFC will see this. They'll also have seen the crowd today. The amount of people just not going (like myself) must send alarm bells ringing.

Overall we didn't play too poorly but it's blatantly obvious to all what's missing.

3 GAMES NO GOALS

Buy as may strikers as you want - we wont score goals while we keep getting balls into the corner flags and then cant make a 1/2 yard of space to get a ball across.

We have got to get the service and we cant do that from wide at the moment

Buy as may strikers as you want - we wont score goals while we keep getting balls into the corner flags and then cant make a 1/2 yard of space to get a ball across.

I'd agree. Midfield delivery was appalling in paisley last week and sounds a big problem again here. Its no surprise as Aluko and Maguire provided everything in the last third last season.

In an ideal world 2 wide players and 1 striker would be nice.

Yes which is why I said we need a winger too, probably 2. So 4 players.

wouldnt spend a penny on strikers until we sort out the service - wasted money

Strikers are allowed to do things themselves as well you know. You don't have to wait for service. While we desperately lack service that doesn't cover up the fact our strikers can't control a football.

It wouldn't even be showing ambition to sign the players we need, that's the thing. Just the willingness to have a team with the basic positions covered.

The club doesn't even have the interest in fielding a team with proper players...

It wouldn't even be showing ambition to sign the players we need, that's the thing. Just the willingness to have a team with the basic positions covered.

The club doesn't even have the interest in fielding a team with proper players...

Depressingly, this is how I am starting to think.

As I said on the Smith "rumour" thread, its obvious which positions are completely uncovered and in some cases its even obvious which players we should go for and it even seems they want to come (steven smith).

How Vernon lasted 90 minutes on the pitch is beyond me. Having a mare and clearly breathing out of his arse.

Probably because he's the only proper finisher we have, and Brown's thinking would be that if a chance broke to us in the box, the only player we can rely on not make an absolute hash of it is Vernon. I agree he was poor but as I wrote in the other thread, he is basically just a poacher, so hardly surprising that he looks poor in a team creating the square root of f**k-all.

Vernon is a striker that if he is getting no service, is a waste of a player. When he drops deep he is largely ineffective, especially if the player he is trying to link up with is as technically poor as either Magennis or Mackie.

Today when you saw Mackie trying to be the link between midfield and striker, it is a bit despairing...

Presume this is the same service that Mackie would require, but yet everyone on his back rather than Vernon.

Shock horror.

I've never been Mackies biggest fan, always used to slag him off - but Mackie is a scapegoat after every game it would seem, despite the fact Vernon for 3 games has been the worst performer.

You're obviously fishing with regards to Mackie.

You may have a point regarding service for the last couple of games but come away Roberto the boy is gash.

Presume this is the same service that Mackie would require, but yet everyone on his back rather than Vernon.

Shock horror.

I've never been Mackies biggest fan, always used to slag him off - but Mackie is a scapegoat after every game it would seem, despite the fact Vernon for 3 games has been the worst performer.

Who is making Mackie a scapegoat today over Vernon?

Shock horror.

Nah I just think that he's been here for so long we all know what he can't do.

Vernon scored 16 goals last season (more than Mackie ever has in one season) so maybe that's why he's been cut a bit of slack by people?

Shock horror.

To be fair, Mackie probably gets a lot of stick because we know he's terrible, and even when he does get service he'll balls it up more often than not.

With Mackie you know a one on one is going over, wide or straight into the keepers body... there's just no guile of craft with the guy.

I say that as someone with no animosity towards Mackie. I only say he's pish because he's pish... it's consecutive managers playing him who are to blame for his status as a permanent fixture. He's not the reason for our decline, but he is indicative of why we've declined. A substandard player who has clung on like a barnacle as the quality of the playing side has declined over the years, until he's pretty much Aberdeen standard, more or less.

That's why we finished 9th in two consecutive seasons, and are sitting joint bottom with no goals after 3 games and no real promise of improvement.

I find Mackie to be a good benchmark by which to mark our decline.

Shock horror.

The big difference is that 12 years of experience have taught us that Mackie generally makes an arse of the service he gets. Vernon scored 16 goals last season in a woefully uncreative team. Besides Mackie is supposed to be the 'fetcher-gatherer' striker who makes the runs and works the channels to create space for Vernon, whose main role is to stick the thing in the net.

Vernon hasn't been bad so much as simply irrelevant; in a team which is not creating chances (and doesn't look like doing so), an out-and-out poacher is almost a luxury we can't afford.

Vernon I thought looked somewhat improved from the St Johnstone game and did manage to draw a good save from their keeper.

He also had a few games last season where he did very little apart from get in front of his man once and score.

We do miss Maguire alongside him - just as we did when Maguire was missing in matches last season

Not creating chances? So the one that Mackie laid on a plate for him isn't a chance then no?

THAT was the service and Vernon blew it. Useless prick.

:rolleyes:

He missed a chance. Yes. It has been mentioned a few times already on here that it would be expected that he do better with that.

You are barely holding an argument here though, who is criticising Mackie today more than Vernon?

Not creating chances? So the one that Mackie laid on a plate for him isn't a chance then no?

THAT was the service and Vernon blew it. Useless prick.

Are you referring to the one in the second half? It was hardly 'laid on a plate'. Mackie did well to get it across, but it was fairly travelling and Vernon would have been doing well just to get it on target.

Are you referring to the one in the second half? It was hardly 'laid on a plate'. Mackie did well to get it across, but it was fairly travelling and Vernon would have been doing well just to get it on target.

That's how I saw it, but I was at the other end of the ground, so didn't have the best view.

Hahahaha, f**king Jesus.

Had Mackie missed it, you would be all over it giving him abuse.

f**king mentalists, seriously.

One rule for one player, a different for another.

Oh FFS.

It was a half-chance, and I AM NOT A MACKIE HATER! Had Mackie missed it I would have been saying the exact same thing.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure you would have *theeyesandeyebrowssmiley*

Yeah, 'cos it's true! A half-chance, fizzed across the box towards a striker being closely marked. Would have required a decent finish. Is the basic point here not that we would like to have a striker capabe of working with such chances and doing something with them, but don't? Fair enough.

I actually quite like Mackie and have stuck up for him a lot throughout his career. But he's lost it now. His one attribute was the pace but that has gone and there is nothing there now.

We have no service to him as you pointed out in your agreement with the post above this one I'm replying to.

How can a striker not receiving service have a mare?

Well missed a sitter from 6 yards out for starters. Won nothing in air and did nothing on ground bar lose ball. I most certainly am a fan of Vernon and in particular the workrate he has and the work he does for the team but in 2 games i have seen he has been terrible and looks really really unfit.

Nah I just think that he's been here for so long we all know what he can't do.

Vernon scored 16 goals last season (more than Mackie ever has in one season) so maybe that's why he's been cut a bit of slack by people?

He scored 15 last season, same as Mackie has managed for us.

Yeah, 'cos it's true! A half-chance, fizzed across the box towards a striker being closely marked. Would have required a decent finish. Is the basic point here not that we would like to have a striker capabe of working with such chances and doing something with them, but don't? Fair enough.

I actually quite like Mackie and have stuck up for him a lot throughout his career. But he's lost it now. His one attribute was the pace but that has gone and there is nothing there now.

I would suggest his best attribute these days is he is pretty street-wise.

He's been around the block and knows when to leave a trailing leg or slam into an aerial challenge to let the defender know he's there and is pretty good at winning corners and throw ins, as well as taking a touch to win a foul.

That's good for younger players to learn from.

I would suggest his best attribute these days is he is pretty street-wise.

He's been around the block and knows when to leave a trailing leg or slam into an aerial challenge to let the defender know he's there and is pretty good at winning corners and throw ins, as well as taking a touch to win a foul.

That's good for younger players to learn from.

All fair enough, I'll give you that.

I'm not having an argument with anyone.....I'm right with what I'm saying ma loon, not an argument - I don't do arguments.

The usual suspects once again bashing Mackie. At times, I'm a Mackie basher myself - because he's pish, most of the time - but today the abuse should be directed at the guy who did get the service today.

Abuse shouldn't be directed any where. You are generating an argument in this thread, no-one is criticising Mackie in it...