Goodwillie Assault Charge

Must be quite a serious assault though if it is on Indictment as this would mean a jury trial with much more serious sentencing powers if he's found guilty.

Anyone know the actual ins and outs of what has meant to have happened?

Premier League footballer David Goodwillie has pleaded not guilty to assaulting a man in a city centre.

The 22-year-old Blackburn Rovers and Scotland striker is charged with assaulting John Friel, by repeatedly punching him on the head and body and kicking him on the body on November 3 last year in Queen Street, Glasgow.

The player's lawyer submitted a not guilty plea by letter to Glasgow Sheriff Court, said a court official.

A trial date has been set for October 28 at the same court.

Goodwillie, from Stirling, moved from Dundee United to Blackburn this summer for a fee thought to be

Why would he get life for an assault? 9 times out of 10 these are dealt with with a fine.

:hysterical:

Don't be radiculous i never suggested he would get life.

All i was saying was, that if he was found guilty and the sheriff reffered the case to the high court for sentencing the maximum penalty they can impose is life imprisonment and/or an unlimited fine.

I was just making people aware of the maximum penalties.

• 3 weeks later...

watched the blackburn game yesterday and have to say that goodwillie looked out of his depth. the lad has clearly got potential, as illustrated for scotland against lithuania the other night, but he's clearly got some way to go before he can fully adjust to the rigours of the epl. granted, playing as the lone striker for a team like blackburn away from home against two giant brutes like senderos and hangeland is no easy task, but yesterday i thought goodwillie looked slow, immobile, relatively unfit, and generally poor (although, to be fair, i think the commentators said he hurt his hamstring early on) as typified by one chance where he fortuitously raced clear of the fulham defence and curled his shot well wide when he should of squared it for his team mate to score on a plate. anyone else watch it?

• 6 months later...

To be fair to Goodwillie, I'd have done the same.

Took him long enough though :dontknow: stood stunned not knowing what to do looking at Swanson sparked oot whilst the boy that did it just hovers around in the background.

Then when he finally does do something (& :applause: for getting there in the end) he runs TOWARDS the fkn cops :nutter:

Took him long enough though :dontknow: stood stunned not knowing what to do looking at Swanson sparked oot whilst the boy that did it just hovers around in the background.

Then when he finally does do something (& :applause: for getting there in the end) he runs TOWARDS the fkn cops :nutter:

I don't see why Goodwillie is getting shit for that... the guy he hit was clearly a threat. He'd already knocked out his mate and was obviously threatening Goodwillie. Sucks for the guy that he squared up to the wrong guy and got put on his arse, but he was the one looking for trouble.