Changing A Light Fitting

Big Man

Meant to be changing a light fitting for my mother-in-law on sunday, its been a few years. Anyway, any electricians on here or folk in the know:

Do you still use terminal blocks or does everyone use compact connectors now (like those wago ones you can get) - fits the industry standard? Or whats best to use?

Ta,

:dontknow:

I don't have clue what the f**k you're on about. Does the link nae help like?

Thanks, it might be useful. But i knew what i was doin already.

Its just i've read some negative material on terminal blocks (that they can damage wires if they are not fitted properly), and they're not the safest:

30a_terminal_block.jpg

And that compact connectors might be better or safer:

400x400-3_16ab19.jpg

But i don't have f**kin clue - just thought id ask what proffesional electricians use?

bound to be a joke in there somewhere

how many trainee solicitors does it take to change a light fitting?

None. You wont find a solicitor who can change a light fitting but if you're looking for one to screw you for everything you have...

:laughing:

Aye, very good spam.

My brother made a similar joke this morning.

They both look a f**k site safer than the Third World methods of sparkying in the US. Electrical systems here wouldnae pass muster in Somalia.

Here's the American equivalent of an electrical connector... stick the two ends in this cap and twist them together, BOOM, job done, fire hazard.

I near pished myself laughing the first time I did some wiring over here... made f**king sure there were a couple of fire extinguishers in the hoose inna.

wirenuts.jpg

They both look a f**k site safer than the Third World methods of sparkying in the US. Electrical systems here wouldnae pass muster in Somalia.

Here's the American equivalent of an electrical connector... stick the two ends in this cap and twist them together, BOOM, job done, fire hazard.

I near pished myself laughing the first time I did some wiring over here... made f**king sure there were a couple of fire extinguishers in the hoose inna.

wirenuts.jpg

Yeh but you got that whole feminate 110v a/c sh*t over there. Worst that'll do is give you a little tickle.

We go big man 240v d/c here, now that'll fry ya

dont worry though big man, I'm sure your mither in la is well insured and if she isnt... well it might be time to take out a new policy or two

Dunno what bit you mean, bit like DT.

Anyways connector blocks seem fine to me, however guessing you watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLE6LXHLFj0

Where he uses both... anyways the wagos (which I've never used/seen before, not a sparky though) do look neat but no massive reason for them. Main thing is just take everything slowly, stop and check everything dodgy insulation(nicks etc.) is a definite no as is connecting up anything you're not sure about. Don't jam wires into boxes they are too long for and stuff like that either, like it says in the video if it's metal make sure it's earthed etc. etc. etc. no magic to it but just pays to be paranoid.

And make sure the fecking electric is turned off! :itch-chin:

I'm always paranoid even when it's off at the meter box, get a screwdriver with a light on the end.

You only need to turn off the electric if you're scared of being dead.

If death hold no fear then go for live work.*

*Disclaimer: If Big Man snuffs it I don't accept liability for him trying to laugh in the face of the reaper.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.org/video/electrics/wago-compact-connectors.php

These look ok but you can use either. You have limited space in a light fitting so a terminal block can be handy. If there is enough room in the fitting then these look quick and easy.

Dinna use the terminal block you pictured cos all the terminals are exposed - these might be used for low voltage or inside insulated enclosures.

Use one like the guy in the video is slagging off as the connectors and screw heads are shrouded in plastic. Just cut it down to size.

If it was my mother in law I would wire the switch straight to the meter. :crossfingers: