Aberdeen Football Club today announced the appointment of Ian Jack to the Board. Ian, Vice President North Sea for M-I Swaco and a representative/director on several industry bodies and associations, is widely known and respected in the oil and gas sector.

Commenting on the appointment Chairman Stewart Milne stated "I indicated at the time of the appointment of Colin Welsh that, if we are to meet the major challenges that lie ahead and deliver against our stated objectives; achieve success on the park, build stronger relations with our fan base and, deliver the new Stadium and Soccer Academy, and make an increasing contribution to the wider community, we require some new thinking, added energy and a new approach at Board level.

"We firmly believe that Ian with his wide experience, energy and enthusiasm, combined with his extensive oil and gas contacts, will add real strength to the board."

Ian Jack added "In order for the club to be able to compete again at the top end of the table, it's vital to get the right product both on and off the pitch. We have an excellent management team who have made some good additions to the playing staff. Through my appointment and that of Colin Welsh last month, the Chairman and the other members of the board have acknowledged that if this is going to be achieved and the transition to the best in class facilities at Loirston is to be a success, a new approach is required.

"To fully realise this ambition, the club will have to be more successful in fully engaging the supporters, sponsors and other investors and I am honoured to be invited to make a contribution".

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20110823/board-reorganisation-completed_2212158_2428470

My feelings echo the previous responses, sounds postitive, but its action thats needed.

Not sure what they have done so far to achieve this strategic objective:

"build stronger relations with our fan base"

You know the easiest way to start building bridges with the fans? An apology from Milne for the situation he has led us in to. An acknowledgment that under his Chairmanship, the club has not delivered anywhere close to where it should have. And a humble, sincere attempt to promise that the club will start to treat fans as the No1 priority at AFC.

All of the above comes free and does not require head-hunted energy execs to implement.

You know the easiest way to start building bridges with the fans? An apology from Milne for the situation he has led us in to. An acknowledgment that under his Chairmanship, the club has not delivered anywhere close to where it should have. And a humble, sincere attempt to promise that the club will start to treat fans as the No1 priority at AFC.

All of the above comes free and does not require head-hunted energy execs to implement.

A fans rep on the board?

• Site Sponsor

Have a +1

It sounds like this is the second new addition to the board then.

Can't quite remember if I heard about the first one but I maybe just forgetting about it already.

So we have added 2 new faces. Can only be positive I think.

But have we removed some of the same old faces who have been on the board for donkeys and part of the total failure to deliver at the club? Seems to me that would be the obvious thing to do.

Hardly a re organisation they have increased the personnel, unless Fraser and Miller are in shoogly peg mode, or is milne further distancing himself from the operation ?

This is more than likely the approach, With him moving us to to Cove and his company will be building houses and flats. He'll be making sure that he's not in the limelight.

Hardly a re organisation they have increased the personnel, unless Fraser and Miller are in shoogly peg mode, or is milne further distancing himself from the operation ?

Adding businessmen to the board isn't exactly increasing the personnel. I'd assume they are non executive types to add experience and new ideas to the board. Possibly unpaid for all we know.

Either way don't think it affects Miller, Fraser or Milne's involvement much. Milne would need to step down as chairman to do that. The other 2 are paid employees first and foremost (rather than ordinary board members).

My thought was perhaps some of the other board members who have been there for some time may be stepping down or asked to step down at some point. ie to make way for the new blood. I don't know who the other members are but I'm sure there are a few who have pretty insignifcant shareholding and no paid role at the club so could easily be asked to step aside.