Neutering Dogs

My GF informed me lastnight that our 6 month old puppy has started to be interested in humping things.

Tried it on with her leg lastnight.

I'd imagine that it's hitting dog puberty for want of a better description.

What's people's opinion with getting a male dog neutered?

Does it change it's personality. Affect it's temperment or do you feel that nothing changed with your dog with regards to it's behaviour?

Or are you not for it and have let your dog go through this phase?

I'm undecided about it.

I ken I wouldn't like my balls chopped off and I'd imagine animals are the same, but my GF isn't keen on the dog humpng everything in sight including her leg.

Fit to do.

He's a cracking dog and I'd hate for his personality to change as a result of getting castrated.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Cheers

A difficult decision.

He will be a different dog at the end of his life with balls off than he would be with them left on.

We had a pedigree scottie dug who would have made a great faither.....it grieved me to give in to the preference of others and have him neutered.

Passing on our genes is a primary instinct( how come there are so many gays today ? :itch-chin: ) and to thwart the life force cannae be good for any living creature..

In an ideal world we should leave them on.....but for our own selfish reasons we have off with them , for the most part.

However , given Hugh Everett 111's parallel worlds theory , will there not be a universe where you also live with a dog with it's balls still intact and a nest of pups to go ? :)

My GF informed me lastnight that our 6 month old puppy has started to be interested in humping things.

Tried it on with her leg lastnight.

I'd imagine that it's hitting dog puberty for want of a better description.

What's people's opinion with getting a male dog neutered?

Does it change it's personality. Affect it's temperment or do you feel that nothing changed with your dog with regards to it's behaviour?

Or are you not for it and have let your dog go through this phase?

I'm undecided about it.

I ken I wouldn't like my balls chopped off and I'd imagine animals are the same, but my GF isn't keen on the dog humpng everything in sight including her leg.

Fit to do.

He's a cracking dog and I'd hate for his personality to change as a result of getting castrated.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Cheers

The dog humping her leg has nothing to do with it just wanting a ride!

Dogs hump stuff as a dominance thing! I bet that if your the "master" he won't try it with you. With dogs it all about the pecking order and humping something shows it thinks its above them in the order. Dogs often hump women and kids (freaky I ken) but this is due to the fact they are showing who is where in the pecking order.

Some dogs are worse than others depending on its character and how it reacts to its place in the "chain".

Personally I'd either get your missus to prove she's above it in the chain of command but this won't stop him humping other folk/stuff that he thinks are below him OR I'd get him done. It does change their mentality and he'll be more "chilled". Aggressive dogs are often better once they've been snipped.

Hope this helps min.

The dog humping her leg has nothing to do with it just wanting a ride!

Dogs hump stuff as a dominance thing! I bet that if your the "master" he won't try it with you. With dogs it all about the pecking order and humping something shows it thinks its above them in the order. Dogs often hump women and kids (freaky I ken) but this is due to the fact they are showing who is where in the pecking order.

Some dogs are worse than others depending on its character and how it reacts to its place in the "chain".

Personally I'd either get your missus to prove she's above it in the chain of command but this won't stop him humping other folk/stuff that he thinks are below him OR I'd get him done. It does change their mentality and he'll be more "chilled". Aggressive dogs are often better once they've been snipped.

Hope this helps min.

It does help Betty cheers.

I've just read an article stating the exact same thing as you've just said.

It's very possibly a dominance thing.

With my job I'm away a lot, but when I'm home he ken's I'm the boss. I think she pampers him when I'm nae there though, so he probably see's this as his right and like you say is asserting his dominance over her.

Other articles are advocating neutering dogs as a matter of course anyway.

Some stating that it'd be none the wiser as it's an instinct thing for it to want to find a mate rather than a sexual desire. So getting rid of the testosterone tempers tis instinct.

It's not as if it's been reading Playdog and getting all horny.

You could als say it's un-natural, but domesticated dogs lead an un-natural life anyway what with laying about on sofa's and watching squirrels on tv etc.

Home tomorrow, so will monitor it. I'll suggest to her to put him for a timeout if he tries it again or do something else to take his mind off of it, like some obediance training.

It's a Westie I've got by the way.

Concur with Swallicks re the reasons behind the humping. I tend not to gie them the snip without reason or trying other methods to deal with unwanted behaviour. It is, after all, surgery you are putting them through, with the associated risks, and I see it as a last resort.

I've got both entire and entirely nut-less dogs. Never had a problem with them humping me or my wife, with or without nuts. Nor have I seen a dramatic change in personality in those who had nuts for a while then became nutless. Reasons for chopping them off were agression (dog to dog) related and tried varying training methods after consulting behaviourists. Chopping their nuts off hasn't entirely resolved the issues tbh - maybe at 18 months and ~3 those that lost their nuts were maybe too old to see a huge change.

Thing is with bitches (human) they're all too keen to cut off their nuts (ime) for the slightest misdemeanor, nae feckin empathy imo. Man up, tell the bird tae take the humpin' or start dishin' it out, the nuts stay.

It does help Betty cheers.

I've just read an article stating the exact same thing as you've just said.

It's very possibly a dominance thing.

With my job I'm away a lot, but when I'm home he ken's I'm the boss. I think she pampers him when I'm nae there though, so he probably see's this as his right and like you say is asserting his dominance over her.

Other articles are advocating neutering dogs as a matter of course anyway.

Some stating that it'd be none the wiser as it's an instinct thing for it to want to find a mate rather than a sexual desire. So getting rid of the testosterone tempers tis instinct.

It's not as if it's been reading Playdog and getting all horny.

You could als say it's un-natural, but domesticated dogs lead an un-natural life anyway what with laying about on sofa's and watching squirrels on tv etc.

Home tomorrow, so will monitor it. I'll suggest to her to put him for a timeout if he tries it again or do something else to take his mind off of it, like some obediance training.

It's a Westie I've got by the way.

Nae bother min.

A male terrier will be a "thran" barstewrad especially at that age.

I've 2 labs and 2 terriers (all working and all dogs).

Terriers are brilliant characters but by f**k you canna give them an inch.

One of mine never really got his place in the pecking order and calmed down until he was close to 3. If I wasn't so hard on him at that time he'd still think he ruled the roost.

I'd perhaps say when your home give the dog a bit of a hard time (sounds sh*te but got to be done) and get his gas to a peep and tell your missus to do the same.

I'd not dive in yet and get him done.

nae idea about westies as a breed but before giving it the chop look into how it effects their personality etc before you get it done.

I've had a collie cross, got it snipped, made not 1 bit of difference to its confidence and its general demeanor but the mother has a dalmatian that has lost all its confidence after being snipped, now attacks other dogs all the time and it cant be let off the lead. After speaking to a dog shrink she was told this is a common trait with this breed of dog. My dogue de bordeaux wasnt the same after it either, was a bit jumpy to start off with then went psycho. The boxer I have now handled it fine.

With pedigree dogs it really is a breed thing, you're taking away a part that drives its instinct and depending on what the dog was originally bred for will give an idea of what can happen to its personality... as said above though it has nowt to do with it being horny.

Cheers for the info lads.

I def think being firm with him is the way to go just now.

He is a stubborn little shyte and constantly wants attention.

She's quite soft on him and I am sometimes too. But these things need nipped in the bud.

Will review castration at a later date I reckon.

Good luck with the mutt! Not really much point in neutering beyond 18 months old (so I am informed). Has a lessened impact once the dog has matured. I would definitely just have his nuts removed but can appreciate you feeling a bit sorry for him.

this is an absolutely great thread with lots of good advice.

i even learned something from it - reason dogs hump - that was really interesting

why do i get the feeling id ID asked the question originally, it'd have went down a very, very different road!?

:laughing: it did cross my mind that this was a Millertimesque topic as I typed it.

It is good advice though because he's a he great we dog.

Have you heard anything about George lately MT?

haha!

yep the wee granny who took him sent me an update as recently as last month, with pics and stuff

really, really lucky i decided to let them have him - worked out brilliantly :)

i had a westie when i was a wee guy, but he had SERIOUS "wee-man" syndrome!

Wee Harry :)

Mines is called Chewy.

I was trying to upload some pics of the sod, but it keeps telling me that the attachment is too big.