Subsea Engineering ?

brownie

[quote name='brownie' timestamp='1314630669' post='615183']
I know there are a fair few oil industry types on here.

What is the subsea sector like at the moment and what are the long term prospects for it ?
[/quote]

wet, murky and full fo fish. probably be like that till the next ice age.

I know there are a fair few oil industry types on here.

What is the subsea sector like at the moment and what are the long term prospects for it ?

I'm nae subsea myself but the whole toons busy. Given the right skills, plenty of jobs on the go. Not sure what effect, if any, the merging of Subsea7 and Acergy had on the market.

Long term?

North Sea - Marginal fields, subsea tie-backs, maintenance, inspection etc etc means it looks pretty decent for the next wee whiley I'd say.

You starting out and deciding which field to go into, like?

2 boom industries in the north sea over the next 5 years will be subsea maintenance and inspection/integrity management.

a lot of the sh*t in the north sea has been there for 15, 20, 25 years and wasnt built to last that long. With that everything needs replacing or fixed both topside and subsea.

More money in subsea though and I'd guess a lot more interesting. Rust is rust, subsea design and intervention would be a lot more varied IMO.

We're in process now of getting this thing to a field trial, there is 1.5 million oil rigs in American (possibly more) which are finished, but there is still 40% oil in those rigs, but no-one can get to the oil because no-one has developed a tool which can do it.....however we're coming up with something that is able to do this.

1.5 million? in America?

That are closed, aye.

I picked it up along those lines, I did say more because I wasn't really interested when I first started with the company, but as things are nearing field trials etc, I'm taking more of an interest in the details.

If you want to correct me, then please do - it still doesn't make this project any less of a success and could make the company a billion dollar company in a few years if all goes the way of the company.

I believe that last line, majorly.

Opening up wells that are closed and not used anymore due to no more oil being taken out is staggering for a company like this - and what they are trying to achieve is nothing short of brilliant.

It sounds like a great piece of kit.

I just couldn't believe it would be that number, but seems right enough according to a bit of googling. Some websites put abandoned wells at 2.5 million in America.

The company I work for are in process of developing a Linear Motor Pump, which is able to pump 120 barrels of oil a day. It's been tested and proven it can work.

We're in process now of getting this thing to a field trial, there is 1.5 million oil rigs in American (possibly more) which are finished, but there is still 40% oil in those rigs, but no-one can get to the oil because no-one has developed a tool which can do it.....however we're coming up with something that is able to do this.

120 Barrels a day ? Less than 20 cubes.

What f**king use is that, the costs would be far higher than the rewards.

120 Barrels a day ? Less than 20 cubes.

What f**king use is that, the costs would be far higher than the rewards.

Bang on.

Gas wells.....

On-going discussions, but Shell and Conoco Phillips and other people who believe in us think this is massive for the oil industry hence why they invest so much.

A linear motor that can pump 1 metre a second is mental.

Gas isn't measured in barrels though. I think, in the nicest possible way, you are speaking complete and utter f**king sh*te.